PDA

View Full Version : food trays.

pilot_2b
27th Apr 2003, 23:44
hey all.
im not sure if this is the correct forum but i thought that the cabin crew might know the answer to this.
well why is it that when an aeroplane turns in flight, the food trays never slide off the tables. i noticed this on the last flight i had when the plane was banking rather steep when the meal trays were out but they never moved. any ideas. thanks :ok:

tunneler
28th Apr 2003, 00:06
Think it probably has something to do with maintaining +1g and above during turn - stops most things from wriggling about.

Hope this helps.

Tunny.

pilot_2b
28th Apr 2003, 00:11
thanks tunny. if anybody knows anymore about this or the +1g aspect i would love to know thanks :cool:

Hong Kong Layover
28th Apr 2003, 04:17
Good bug you planted in my head to think about.never thought about it before!

Give me a few days,I shall find the answer from my friends working in other departments.(atleast a close one)!

qfmike737
30th Apr 2003, 14:58
it can depend on the aircraft folding tray and the specifacation of the tray lol

Basically I dont think it slipped because the aircraft wasn't turning steeply enough! But...on some airlines they have trays with a built in heating element that connects to the folding food tray so you can heat your food. This type of tray sticks very well!

Hong Kong Layover
1st May 2003, 03:25
Tried my best talking to my mates,found no answer yet....still trying to get the best answer possible!

missleadfoot
2nd May 2003, 22:26
I thought it was as simple as the non slide coating the tray tables have, and if all else fails, the lip on the table itself to stop trays from sliding.

Flying Boat
2nd May 2003, 22:59
Yep it is to do with the gforce & what your body/the object feels.

Dr. Phil has given you the explanation you need to understand..

A good test for any of you out there is, the next time you fly, put a glass of red wine on the table & when you realise you are turning (normally sun moving through windows) look at the liquid's position in relation to the rim of the glass. In the turn it should be the same as if it were on a bar top in the terminal building.
After the experiment you can have a nice drink.

Many people sitting in the middle seats of a wide body don't realise the movements of the aeroplane for a similar reason.

For the same reason, when doing instrument flying you are trained to not trust your senses & trust your instruments. The instructor can put you in positions where you think you are upright but in reality you are in a turn either climbing or descending.

When younger I used to think it was due to the sticky food from the lower tray acting as glue!

Happy Landings:ok:

pilot_2b
4th May 2003, 02:39
hey. well know i know what i need to understand does somethink they could explain what dr.phil has said in terms more easier to understand by someone like me. thanks