PDA

View Full Version : Employment prospects down?

Captain Lou P
19th Mar 2003, 12:00
Hi all. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on employment prospects, considering the current climate, particularly for those who have had final interviews with EK and other like carriers? I know that demand for international travel with carriers such as QF is down. This does not look good for short-listers. Any thoughts/comments/info would be appreciated.
Thanx.:)

Tart with the cart
19th Mar 2003, 19:21
Remember what happened in the Gulf War?

I'm sorry but I don't think there will be many crew jobs being offered-it's more likely crew will be being made redundant!
:(

KitKat79:)))
19th Mar 2003, 23:10
I just had my final interview with EK two weeks ago, and the situation right now is not making me feel very hopeful...i imaginge that recruitment may be stalled or postponed for the momment, as was the situation after S11...really confused :confused: I just read an article in Herals Sun stating that there were plans to let go of up to 1000 Qantas staff, and also force leave on many of their staff. The war is estimated to reduce international travel by up to 20%.
All we can do is wait and see as the situation unfolds.
Kathy

:(

P.S. Capt LP...how bad is this wait!!! it's only been two weeks and i feel like it's already been an eternity..UHHHH!!!

cabinboy
19th Mar 2003, 23:25
captain lou p,

love the one your with baby, don't go o/s yet, the new DJ EBA is up soon and your getting a nice rise, don't go anywhere when you have it good right here :D

As for QF I have bad feelings that any more hiring will be stopped -externally and internally ( career progression from regionals ) - QF are already overstaffed in short haul.I do think though that DJ will still keep hiring, more aircraft coming etc and international expansion.

regards
cb

daisydaze
19th Mar 2003, 23:29
EK are still doing interviews in Europe at the moment - walk in, same as Australia - dates for Sweden, Lisbon, Amsterdam have not been cancelled and I think there were interviews in Paris on Tuesday - after the "48 hrs to leave Saddam " was announced.
It seems that at the moment, it is still business as usual - that of course may change in the next 24hrs.
The recruitment process with EK - as with most Middle East Carriers is long and drawn out at the best of times - it sometimes takes up to six months after final interview to receive training dates etc.
Just be patient - use the waiting time to start learning another language, choose an easy one - it will help you in your future position at EK and you can continue when you have countless hours in a hotel room to kill when downroute somewhere.

Cheers Daisy