PDA

View Full Version : Where did "Bograt" come from

Ex Douglas Driver
15th Mar 2003, 05:46
A term used downunder for junior pilots is "Bograt". It describes someone who is qualified, but not a QFI/FCI and not in an exec position.

Such useage includes:
"Damn bograts" :mad: ;or
"Don't blame me, I'm just a Bograt". :yuk:

Where did this term of endearment come from? Is it used elsewhere, or if not what's the equivalent?

BlueWolf
15th Mar 2003, 06:19
I believe it's a Pomgolian word which translates literally as "Bathroom rodent".
It is a noun refering to infant members of a household.

Alternatively, the word is also a Western Celtic derogatory colloquialism for a person of questionable morals and parentage.

Hope this helps!:p :p

Gainesy
15th Mar 2003, 12:26
London originally; he now flies for PAS.:)

L J R
15th Mar 2003, 22:11
I thought the term really meant Pilot Officer, but that any first tourist or junior aircrew can be referred to as a Boggie. The term Bograt inferrs lowest of the low. That is what I was taught back in '81.

What are a group of Boggies called?. A Gaggle?, a Pod ?, Brood? Group? ....

Booger
16th Mar 2003, 00:36
Surely it must be a "shambles" ...:)

jungly
16th Mar 2003, 05:43
A group of boggies is called a "pub".....

cribble
17th Mar 2003, 07:57
:D :D
Surely a "dunny" of bograts?

Wiley
19th Mar 2003, 03:56
I can't answer the question, ("Where did the term originate?"), except to say that it's been around at least since the 1950s, so I think I'd be pretty safe in guessing that it was probably in use in the early 40s.

A Bograt, (as in ‘Bog Rat’, or more frequently, "Boggie"), meaning a rodent that normally resided in a toilet (and LIKED living like a rodent in a toilet), in my day referred to a Pilot Officer, although Flying Officers a little slow to mature (like about 99.9999% of us?) were sometimes included in the generic description.
Certainly to SNCOs and Flight Lieutenants, (ie, the two classes of people who really run the Service), the REAL military hierarchy went something along these lines... REAL officers (ie, Flt Lt and above), SNCOs, (although not necessarily in that order), REAL airmen, (ie, framies and sumpies), queer trades, (avionics etc), general hands, apprentices, guard dog handlers, guard dogs.... and Boggies.

How best to epitomise Boggies and the way they were (are?) perceived? The following story is as archetypical as any: The Pilot Officers were upset at yet another ridiculous restriction placed upon them by the ‘shellback’ PMC in ‘their’ home, the O’s Mess. Deciding he won’t put up with this latest indignity, one says, a little louder than perhaps was wise: “****** this, I’ve had enough. The Boggies are revolting!”

Old and bold Flt Lt down the bar looks over rim of his beer glass and intones: “Boggies have always been revolting.”

moggie
21st Mar 2003, 10:10
I do recall going through IOT and BFT with a chap who was known as Bograt. I forget his real name now (Paul something or other I think) but he was inded from London andI believe he had also held a CPL before joing the RAF.

I remember we were all in awe of this chap having a CPL - now I know better (as someone who instructs in that field!).