PDA

View Full Version : Sqn Ldr W A Waterton/Aeroplane Magazine

CoodaShooda
7th Feb 2003, 22:55
The camel train has finally delivered January 2003's edition of Aeroplane to this outpost f the empire.

The "Looking back 55 Years" article includes a reference to Sqn Ldr W A Waterton, the Chief Test Pilot at Gloster in 1948.

I knew a Bill Waterton in Australia in the late 1970's and was wondering whether it was the same person.
Does anyone know of Sqn Ldr Waterton's story post 1948?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Feb 2003, 23:34
The Bill Waterton of Glosters wrote a superb book - The Quick and the Dead - many years ago. Excellent insight into Glosters and UK aircraft procurement in the early 50s.

I read it at School C.1965, and now have a copy bought second hand.

SSD

CoodaShooda
9th Feb 2003, 05:34
Thanks SSD
I'll look around for it.

John Farley
9th Feb 2003, 14:28
I’m delighted to report that Bill is alive and well and living in Canada. He is still as sharp as a tack and we communicate regularly. He will be 87 next month. Which reminds me I have to ring him later about a question re aspect ratio effects that he raised in his last letter to me. He has recently been made an associate member of the ETPS association. He was considered a bad trouble maker back in the 50’s because of his insistence on telling the truth about the aeroplanes he tested. Jeffery Quill was his biggest fan – which says it all really. The Quick and the Dead was my bible when I was in the business and I still read the preface a couple of times a year – lest I forget what being a test pilot is actually about.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
10th Feb 2003, 12:58
The Quick and the Dead was my bible when I was in the business and I still read the preface a couple of times a year

I read the preface again last night. I see what you mean, JF. Also re-read the chapter where the elevators fluttered off the prototype Javelin and the subsequent elevator-less arrival at Boscome. Scary stuff, for which he earned a well-deserved decoration for saving all the test data - which was not popular with some folk at Glosters.

His description of how awfull were the early Javelin's controls, being pretty well immovable above about half max speed, and how his protests about this went unheard are eye-opening. He managed to display the aircraft for some Top Brass using all his skills to ensure the speed stayed relativly low with no steep dives to ensure he could physically move the controls.

Despite this, his display was 'lively'.

"If you can display it like that, there can't be much wrong with the controls" was the design staff comment.

Please pass on my best wishes if you speak to him, JF.

SSD

John Farley
10th Feb 2003, 14:20
SSD

Wilco sir

John

Shaggy Sheep Driver
13th Feb 2003, 13:39
Sir??? Sir?? Not me!

Just call me Vince, John ;~))

Or Shaggy.

SSD

John Farley
14th Feb 2003, 19:43
Thank you Vince

Actualy when I was younger I used to call old men sir. Now I am one of those myself I use the title as a mark of respect for those whose bodies still do most things OK...

John