PDA

View Full Version : What aviation robots should exist but don’t?

Thatmuppetoverthere
18th Jun 2024, 23:16
Hi all,

So this is probably going to be one of those weird threads that gets tons of sarcastic responses, but let’s give it a shot.

First, a bit of context. I’m a robotics student who as a part of their studies has to design, develop and ultimately build a robot of some description with a real world application. I love flying, both commercially and in my friend's Cessna 172, so am trying to combine the two; sort of “kill two birds with one stone” as the old expression goes.

Whilst most of my classmates are working on robots that are a bit gimmicky, I genuinely want to design something that could alleviate some kind of problem within aviation - I know there’s a lot of staffing issues that cause costs to rise.

So my question is thus: what problem in aviation could be fixed by some kind of robot but one currently doesn’t exist?

I don’t really have criteria so to speak; it can be for commercial, private, general aviation. Whatever. And can fix whatever problem you have at your airfield. The only thing I ask is that you keep it realistic - unfortunately I don’t think I can build r2d2 to do all the flying, maintenance and keep you company at the same time 😂.

I look forward to your guys’ input and ultimately designing and building some sort of robot to fix that issue that’s always been bugging you.

- Alex

B2N2
19th Jun 2024, 01:34
A smart parking doohickey.
You always see (and hear) GA pilots trying to pull/push the airplane out of the hangar by themselves or with the help of a clueless passenger who can’t differentiate between push/pull and left/right.
Yes you have all sorts of powered tow bars and even mini tugs but all they accomplish is that you hit the tail and wing tips harder on the hangar doors.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1280x720/image_e6cbdd05b7799fa47a8fa9a659c0e9b69ed0974e.jpeg

Now for your solution:
It should be something that fits on most if not all light singles and twins with nose gear.
Be able to be calibrated (or self learn) the particular dimensions of the plane and parking space.

redsnail
19th Jun 2024, 07:44
A luggage robot for private jets. An automated GPS guided elevating platform that can accept the luggage, weigh it, drive out to the aircraft, elevate up to the baggage door so the crew can load it. That would save a lot of back injuries.
It would need optics to avoid wing tips and engine cowls.

B2N2
19th Jun 2024, 15:27
A luggage robot for private jets. An automated GPS guided elevating platform that can accept the luggage, weigh it, drive out to the aircraft, elevate up to the baggage door so the crew can load it. That would save a lot of back injuries.
It would need optics to avoid wing tips and engine cowls.

That would appear to be relatively easy considering you already have the ‘follow-me’ golf bag carts.
Clip the transmitter to your belt and walk to the airplane. It should follow behind you.
Or otherwise something semi independent like the Amazon warehouse transports.

Thatmuppetoverthere
19th Jun 2024, 15:44
That would appear to be relatively easy considering you already have the ‘follow-me’ golf bag carts.
Clip the transmitter to your belt and walk to the airplane. It should follow behind you.
Or otherwise something semi independent like the Amazon warehouse transports.

Yeah I was just thinking that before I read your comment. The main thing I can see that failing is the distance between the terminal and the jet itself; I know services like Uber black take you from the FBO to the tarmac, but am unsure of the rough distance. Maybe redsnail could give me some idea of rough distances?

Thatmuppetoverthere
19th Jun 2024, 15:50
A

Now for your solution:
It should be something that fits on most if not all light singles and twins with nose gear.
Be able to be calibrated (or self learn) the particular dimensions of the plane and parking space.

I mean, theoretically a bunch of cameras (think home security ones) inside the hangar with overlapping fields of view and some external ones could probably do that in concert with the remote control tugs you mentioned. Some sort of ai program to do the moving. Probably relatively easy to scale up too, assuming it was compatible with the tugs from a company that already produced small to large tugs (or maybe my own?!)

The main issue I could see there (aside from the mountain of code and likely difficulty of testing in the real world) would be the ability to keep the cameras charged as I doubt most hangars at small airports in the sticks have electric installed (at least, the one my friend and I go to doesn’t, but could be wrong?)

redsnail
20th Jun 2024, 10:08
It depends of course. Usually anywhere between 50m to 200m is the usual distance. LFMN (Nice) you're looking at least 1km so it wouldn't be feasible.
One challenge for the device is that the aircraft aren't always parked exactly on the markings, also, aircraft are different sizes.

Thatmuppetoverthere
20th Jun 2024, 10:23
It depends of course. Usually anywhere between 50m to 200m is the usual distance. LFMN (Nice) you're looking at least 1km so it wouldn't be feasible.
One challenge for the device is that the aircraft aren't always parked exactly on the markings, also, aircraft are different sizes.

Are we not overthinking it then? Could it not just be like an rc tug? Since @B2N2’s first post, I’ve been looking at the rc tugs he mentioned and all of them seem to be rather slow - at a regular human pace - which means they don’t need to have an airside driver’s permit like current tugs. At that speed, 200m is about 4-5 mins.

If we were to motorise the cart and give it a max under load speed roughly equivalent to a human’s pace, the cart could be moved using an RC controller and driven up to the side of the aircraft with its baggage compartment open, and some sort of sensor array could move the platform the bags are on up/down to bring them in line. The guy who “drove” the cart/platform thing then loads them up and “drives” it away.

Expatrick
20th Jun 2024, 10:49
Robotic catering trolley within the aircraft?

B2N2
20th Jun 2024, 12:47
I was thinking clip on sensors for the rudder and wing tips that communicate with the powered tow bar when it’s close to an obstacle.

Ideally:
Hook up R2D2
Clip on senders
Set it and forget it.
Close the hangar done when it’s done.

Kinda like the self parking feature of some cars.

Thatmuppetoverthere
22nd Jun 2024, 23:11
Are we not overthinking it then? Could it not just be like an rc tug? Since @B2N2’s first post, I’ve been looking at the rc tugs he mentioned and all of them seem to be rather slow - at a regular human pace - which means they don’t need to have an airside driver’s permit like current tugs. At that speed, 200m is about 4-5 mins.

If we were to motorise the cart and give it a max under load speed roughly equivalent to a human’s pace, the cart could be moved using an RC controller and driven up to the side of the aircraft with its baggage compartment open, and some sort of sensor array could move the platform the bags are on up/down to bring them in line. The guy who “drove” the cart/platform thing then loads them up and “drives” it away.

redsnail any advice on how to improve upon this idea?

Thatmuppetoverthere
22nd Jun 2024, 23:14
I was thinking clip on sensors for the rudder and wing tips that communicate with the powered tow bar when it’s close to an obstacle.

Ideally:
Hook up R2D2
Clip on senders
Set it and forget it.
Close the hangar done when it’s done.

Kinda like the self parking feature of some cars.

ah ok, hadn’t thought of it like that. So basically a couple of LiDAR sensors talking to one another and the tug. And I guess that would make it mostly transportable as you wouldn’t have to spend ten years installing cameras in every new location…

my only question would be about how those clip on sensors could be used. Wouldn’t they have to be certified given they’d be attached to the aircraft’s exterior? Or is that only the case for permanent parts?

B2N2
23rd Jun 2024, 19:04
ah ok, hadn’t thought of it like that. So basically a couple of LiDAR sensors talking to one another and the tug. And I guess that would make it mostly transportable as you wouldn’t have to spend ten years installing cameras in every new location…

my only question would be about how those clip on sensors could be used. Wouldn’t they have to be certified given they’d be attached to the aircraft’s exterior? Or is that only the case for permanent parts?

You’d carry a couple in your flight bag or in case of a shared hangar on the Ouija board on the wall next to where R2D2 parks itself on its charger.

redsnail
30th Jun 2024, 11:13
I wouldn't go clipping anything to the aircraft. Most likely will be forgotten and the aircraft will depart with them attached.
An easier solution would be to use cone markers like what is done now for wingtip and tail visibility purposes.