PDA

View Full Version : Currency for licences in multiple countries

WillyJ09
18th Jun 2024, 14:54
Hello, I have a UK issued PPL which I converted to a CASA PPL in preparation for my move to Australia. My UK PPL lapses just after I plan to leave the country and I need to do 12 hours to maintain currency. My question is this. Should I just let it expire and go to Australia to undergo CPL training and then if I want to fly commercially in England convert my Australian licence at a later date? Or do I need to maintain currency in my UK licence in order for my Australian one to remain valid? I haven't flown since I passed my PPL and my nearest flying club is more expensive than the ones I'm looking at in Australia.

Thanks!

Genghis the Engineer
18th Jun 2024, 20:38
If your Australian PPL is a standalone, rather than reliant upon currency of your UK licence and medical, you should be fine.

If you won't be flying in the UK for a while, just let your UK PPL lapse. If you're doing CPL training dunnunda, then you'll be current and sharp enough to just revalidate by test in the UK when you next need it.

If your Australian PPL *is* reliant upon your British PPL, then I'd recommend you get it revalidated. If you don't want to fly 12 hours though, again, just go do a test. Equally, if you've not flown for two years, you'll need training for that.

G

Mach E Avelli
20th Jun 2024, 11:50
If your Australian PPL is a standalone licence, it remains permanently valid. All you need to do to activate it is complete a CASA medical and undergo a Flight Review. If you are reasonably competent you could knock that over in a couple of hours.
However, if the CASA PPL is only a validation based on your UK licence, it’s only good if your UK licence meets whatever currency the UK CAA requires.
As for getting an Australian CPL and later converting back to a UK CPL, that’s a whole another minefield, of which I have no experience. With an ATPL to ATPL conversion it used to be a really arduous process. Back in the day when I did it, there was recognition of flying hours, but all theory subjects had to be done again. The UK CAA was very distrustful of Australian standards. Some subjects were more difficult, others easier. Compared with the Australian test, the UK Instrument Rating knowledge test was almost non existent, but the flight test very exacting, whereas the Australian flight test was a walk in the park (back then).

rudestuff
20th Jun 2024, 13:07
It all depends on how long you are going to Austraila for. Only get a CPL if you intend to use it.
If you intend to fly for fun only in Oz then use it as an opportunity to build your PIC, XC, night etc but no more. If you intend to fly commercially over there then go for it - just try to come back with an ATPL - it's the easiest licence of all to convert in a SIM. If you (only) come back with a CPL/IR it's a very expensive process involving ATOs and flight tests etc and ith no jet time you'll be no better off than anyone else straight out of training in the UK.

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Jun 2024, 20:50
It all depends on how long you are going to Austraila for. Only get a CPL if you intend to use it.
If
I wouldn't be so shortsighted. I did my (UK) CPL in 2010, and five years before that finished a PhD in aerospace engineering. Both were, quite frankly ego-driven hobby projects - but both have also opened up all sorts of opportunities since leading to the oddball but extremely satisfying, and comfortably paid career I have right now. In 2019 I did an FAA CPL as well which I've rarely used to be paid to fly, but have traded off the knowledge and credibility regularly since as well.

Basically, you can't have too many licences, ratings and qualifications if you have the time and budget to obtain them.

G

markzily
29th Jun 2024, 12:41
Hey! Once you convert your UK PPL to an Australian CASA PPL, it operates under Australian rules. You likely won't need to maintain UK currency for your Australian license to remain valid. Check with both UK CAA and CASA to be sure. If Aussie training works better for you financially, letting the UK PPL lapse might make sense. Good luck with your move and training!