PDA

View Full Version : UK PPL and post Brexit EASA licence in EU question?

shortstripper
15th Jun 2024, 18:15
Hi all,
It's an awful long time since I posted here, so I doubt many will remember me? .... Anyway,, I've moved to Bulgaria and the blue skies here have got me twitchy to fly again! I have a (still just) current UK licence and rating and did have an EASA one until Brexit. What is likely to be required in order to fly over here? Bulgaria is an EASA country btw.
Cheers, SS

Freefly170
16th Jun 2024, 16:57
Short stripper,

Can’t speak specifically for Bulgaria, but I have done this twice with different EASA authorities.

Just before Brexit I went to work in Spain and converted my then UK license to AESA, It was a fairly straightforward process. First I was required to do some dual time to the point where I could pass the SEP skills test , in fact most of that was covered doing famil flights around Madrid. I then flew and passed the skills test {same as for PPL renewal} note that these days EASA require an instructor to validate you prior to the test, but this can be done via ATO or an independent FI who flies the dual time with you.

To satisfy the exam requirements I had to write to CAA to transfer my file.. It turned out that since my original UK PPL was the old ‘poo brown’ version of the UK PPL that i had not sat and passed Human Perf and limitations exam , so I was required to sit and pass that exam along with EASA Air Law, both straightforward and could be done in English.

For the Medical I just renewed in Spain and transferred all my files since it was easier to do so. However I have recently had to repeat the entire process for my French license !

The requirements are the easy part, the admin however does not always go so smoothly ! Good luck….. as always its worth it in the end.

shortstripper
28th Jun 2024, 03:58
Thanks, but you were starting from a slightly different position to me. I had the old "Poo brown" but then also converted an EASA licence when it was required in the UK, so theoretically have already fulfilled their licence requirements. I hold both UK and EASA PPL's. Is my EASA licence simply "written off" because of Brexit?

ETOPS
28th Jun 2024, 09:22
Is my EASA licence simply "written off" because of Brexit?

Which country issued your EASA ppl?

shortstripper
28th Jun 2024, 11:44
The UK whilst we were in the EU.