PDA

View Full Version : EASA PPL to any FAA document

alex295
14th Jun 2024, 14:44
Hi. I need to validate my EASA PPL in Russia. Here is the problem: if the Russian CAA sends a request to EASA, there is a significant risk that my EASA license will be revoked due to the sanctions. I received advice to obtain an FAA document based on my current EASA PPL and then try to validate the FAA license in Russia (since there are no sanctions between Russia and the USA on this matter).

Can I obtain any FAA document based on my EASA license remotely? I don't want to fly to the US just to solve this issue, and I currently don't have an active US visa. I have read all the instructions on how to convert an EASA license to an FAA license, and I know you need to fly to the US, but is there an option to just validate it without fully converting it?

bafanguy
15th Jun 2024, 16:52
alex,

I was going to suggest the process in FAA AC 61-143 but it appears this too requires some flying with an FAA instructor. And I found this statement in Table 2. Not sure if it'd apply to you. You may have already read the mentioned AC:

"The UK is no longer a member of the EU as of December 31, 2020.
Therefore, a UK pilot license may not be converted to an FAA pilot
certificate under the TIP-L. UK pilots may still apply for an FAA
private pilot certificate based on a foreign license under § 61.75."

But look through here and maybe you'll find some help. And yes, I didn't read every line of this AC:

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-143.pdf

selfin
17th Jun 2024, 14:00
"Can I obtain any FAA document based on my EASA license remotely?"

No, the FAA recently published national policy prohibiting this. FAA Notice N 8900.689 (https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_8900.689.pdf) (20 Mar 2024–20 Mar 2025):

"6. Action.
a. Determining the Appropriate Use of RT [remote technology].
ASIs, ASTs, and designated examiners must utilize the guidance found in Order 8900.1, Volume 1, Chapter 3, Section 9 to determine whether the use of RT for a specific administrative airman certification function is appropriate. Table 1 below shows the administrative functions that may be conducted using RT, with the exception of foreign pilot certification activities and Aviation English Language Standard (AELS) evaluations. Those functions must be conducted in person."

As you mentioned, a conversion under the Swiss or EU bilateral agreement requires writing an FAA knowledge test which normally can only be done in the United States.

You could convert your EASA PPL to a South African PPL as an intermediate step.