PDA

View Full Version : PERMIT TO FLY with paying passengers

NFI
12th Jun 2024, 18:23
Re ANO article 42

I think I am missing something. My reading of the ANO article says an aircraft with a Permit to Fly can not be used for hire. This I assume is includes paying passengers.

How do the likes of the two seat Spitfires, Mustangs etc get around this? It’s good they do and it is on my bucket list.

I can not find any references. Do they apply to the CAA as a special case and do they have to comply with any commercial operations and or restrictions?

Just curious!

BEagle
13th Jun 2024, 10:30
See CAP 1395: https://www.caa.co.uk/publication/download/15619

Asturias56
13th Jun 2024, 10:59
Intended use

1.4 Safety Standards Acknowledgement and Consent (SSAC) is used for remunerated flights that are solely for recreational benefit and which could otherwise be conducted if they were private flights but with no money changing hands. It is not intended to provide a cheaper alternative for operators engaged in the transport of passengers or as a means of normalising extreme risk-taking. SSAC is not intended to be a replacement for AOC operations with Certificate of Airworthiness (C of A) aircraft.

1.5 SSAC is a means of setting out, in simple terms, the risks involved in participating in paid recreational flights. Aircraft operators will be able to offer flights to paying participants without having to apply the very high safety standards normally applied to commercial flights provided that: a) The participants are informed of the key risks involved with participating in the activity. b) The participants are willing to participate in the activity having been informed of the risks involved. c) The expected high level of safety to the general public, including other airspace users and those not participating in the activity, is maintained.

NFI
13th Jun 2024, 16:45
Cheers. I was thinking along the lines of needing an AOC. SSAC makes sense as the key is recreational flight.

Thanks

jumpseater
13th Jun 2024, 22:43
Cheers. I was thinking along the lines of needing an AOC. SSAC makes sense as the key is recreational flight.

Thanks

It depends on the company, some are SSAC, and some are AOC. A look in the terms and conditions will tell you which they are operating under.