PDA

View Full Version : What's that noise?

goldox
11th Jun 2024, 21:26
Just been visiting relatives in North Yorkshire and spent a happy hour walking around Sutton Bank.
There were several episodes of very loud aircraft noise, difficult to pin down height or direction.
I don't think it was departing aircraft as I don't believe there is an airport in the vicinity.
Could it be the RAF doing some mach-loop type stuff, is this done in that area?
Cheers!

George Richardson
12th Jun 2024, 01:27
Just been visiting relatives in North Yorkshire and spent a happy hour walking around Sutton Bank.
There were several episodes of very loud aircraft noise, difficult to pin down height or direction.
I don't think it was departing aircraft as I don't believe there is an airport in the vicinity.
Cheers!
Qatari Hawks out of Leeming are a source .They have more powerful Adours than the T1. Also USAF F 15 & F35 a/c use the Vale for ACM on a daily basis.

chevvron
12th Jun 2024, 07:06
Cheers!
Topcliffe?

BonnieLass
12th Jun 2024, 07:27
When I lived in York, every Thursday morning was "oh hello, back again are we?", normally two or more F15's from Mildenhall doing their thing over the city and making as much noise as they could for about 3 hours. I was used to it but the neighbours were highly unimpressed, especially when their glassware rattled inside their kitchen cabinets.

One quick looksy at FR24 used to identify them on cloudy days. It was pretty loud sometimes, as if they were flying literally straight upwards. They have to practice somewhere though, goes with the territory.

goldox
12th Jun 2024, 11:39
Thank you all. As FR24 was mentioned I managed to backtrack to last Monday and certainly some Typhoons out of Leeming in the area.
Cheers!