OUAQUKGF Ops
11th Jun 2024, 14:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj8TpyOU8ng&ab_channel=LewisAirLegends

SpringHeeledJack
11th Jun 2024, 15:39
Is that the version with the cloaking device ? :8

chevvron
11th Jun 2024, 16:50
I tried 'quote' but the link doesn't open.

DaveReidUK
11th Jun 2024, 19:07
I don't know why posters have such an aversion to using PPRuNe's built-in YouTube tags.

sj8TpyOU8ng

OUAQUKGF Ops
11th Jun 2024, 19:19
Re above - sorry I couldn't find it - I entered the post on the 'Link' logo.

treadigraph
11th Jun 2024, 22:45
Dunno, when I first watched it a couple of days ago I thought Stu Dawson looked indecently cool throughout it all. Mind you, It's Rod Lewis's investment. And it never hurts to have Hinton Sr aboard. Good save and delighted it worked well. Rod, you know we'd all love to see that beauty over this side of the Atlantic.

Jhieminga
12th Jun 2024, 14:07
They dealt with the situation in a cool and calm manner. Nice video!

sycamore
12th Jun 2024, 20:13
Could do with a little CRM,between pilots,not sure who had control,and taxiied over 4 runway edge lights as well...

Jhieminga
13th Jun 2024, 10:31
From what I saw, the nose gear was not straight and they were trying to keep it on the runway but could not avoid the left turn, damaging one edge light (I think they missed the other three). I'm not judging the CRM based on the limited bits that made it into this video. It started out as a nose gear not fully retracted scenario. When they got three greens they decided to land. Then they encountered a controllability issue during rollout.

Steve Bond
14th Jun 2024, 11:55
Well handled and a safe result. Having shown the engineers examining it at the end of the video, it would be nice to know what the problem was - or did I miss that somewhere?

DH106
14th Jun 2024, 12:03
Well handled and a safe result. Having shown the engineers examining it at the end of the video, it would be nice to know what the problem was - or did I miss that somewhere?

I'm wondering if a non-centered nosewheel through some mechanical issue was the root cause - the retraction issue and the handling problems after landing. If it wasn't centered, it probably wouldn't retract fully to the uplock position and the doors wouldn't competely close.

Jhieminga
14th Jun 2024, 14:21
Centering or steering, but that's a pure guess on my part. I have seen a similar issue with a sheared centering cam inside the nose strut on a type of that vintage. It damaged a couple of lines and switches inside the nose gear bay but on that type the gear door-strut link was purely mechanical so it did appear to be up. Not sure how that works on the Connie, although the last part of the video does appear to show some nice mechanical links.

Brit312
23rd Jun 2024, 16:56
I am slightly baffled as to the requirement to do a low fly past of the tower to check the nose gear position , as I thought the VC121A front freight hold had a hatch in it's front wall which allowed you to see the whole of the nose wheel leg, and I have used this when the nose gear would not indicate a down and locked green light. However this 121A might be different