PDA

View Full Version : CAA and EASA PPL + theory, 450 hours, no wish to fly airliners

agfoxx
4th Jun 2024, 12:25
Hi all,

I hold UK CAA and EASA PPLs + ATP theory in both jurisdictions. I have 450 hours, most of them in taildraggers, an aerobatic rating, a tailwheel rating and a CRI.

I'm currently 47 (48 on Thursday!) and hold UK CAA and EASA Class 2 medicals.

I've no intention whatsoever to go into the world of airlines; flying on instruments has little appeal to me. But I'd be keen to start doing something in the world of professional, but not instrument-driven aviation. Bush flying, seaplanes, taking tourists to see glaciers. that sort of stuff.

I appreciate that it doesn't pay well, but I'm not looking to get rich. I'm comfortable enough as things stand; my mortgage is all but paid for; my son is finishing Uni this year, etc., etc. I can also continue working remotely in my current industry, I have enough clients to keep me going for a few years, from anywhere in the world.

If you were in my position, what would you do at this stage? Instructing is certainly an option, - what else, though? What would you do?

Many thanks!

B2N2
4th Jun 2024, 14:41
The IR is a life-saver even if you intend to fly for a VFR operation.
It makes for a better pilot overall.
Various studies have shown that even very experienced VFR pilots lose control in inadvertent IMC in a very short period of time.
Please do not discard the IR.
It will save your passengers life one day.

Boom Operator
4th Jun 2024, 14:58
Hi all,

I hold UK CAA and EASA PPLs + ATP theory in both jurisdictions. I have 450 hours, most of them in taildraggers, an aerobatic rating, a tailwheel rating and a CRI.

I've no intention whatsoever to go into the world of airlines; flying on instruments has little appeal to me. But I'd be keen to start doing something in the world of professional, but not instrument-driven aviation. Bush flying, seaplanes, taking tourists to see glaciers. that sort of stuff.

I appreciate that it doesn't pay well, but I'm not looking to get rich. I'm comfortable enough as things stand; my mortgage is all but paid for; my son is finishing Uni this year, etc., etc. I can also continue working remotely in my current industry, I have enough clients to keep me going for a few years, from anywhere in the world.

If you were in my position, what would you do at this stage? Instructing is certainly an option, - what else, though? What would you do?

Many thanks!

To list a few:

Flying instructor
Sight-seeing tours
Crop spraying
Banner towing
Aerial photography
Pipeline inspection
Fire fighting

Basically, anything you can think of which must be done visually.

Just know that if you decide to ferry passengers or cargo you'll most likely need a CPL (and therefore also a IR rating). Nonetheless, even if you decide not to go for the CPL I strongly advise you to get an IR rating because one day it might save your life, not to mention all of the extra skills that you'll learn that will make you a better pilot.

Good luck with you journey and wish you an early happy birthday!

VariablePitchP
5th Jun 2024, 09:54
Hi all,

Many thanks!

Sounds perfect if you live, or could live, in the States. Alaska written all over it.

Issue is, particularly in the UK, stuff like bush flying just doesn’t exist.

Easiest would be to fly commercially, making triple the money of flying small planes, go part time and enjoy yourself in days off. Far easier to travel the world flying weird and wonderful planes if you’ve got a six figure salary to back you up and staff travel to fly on.

Definitely doable otherwise, just don’t dismiss the mainstream path just because it’s mainstream.

janrein
5th Jun 2024, 19:13
Hi all,

Many thanks!

As others have pointed out, do go for IR and keep it current. Life-safer, interesting and fun in its own way, will open more avenues other than an aerliners future and you might one day change your mind!
I'd also recommend a multi-engine rating
Oh and get everything UK and EASA, there are options in both the UK and a few places on the continent to minimise doubling the effort and cost (dual rated ATOs).

This as the basis from which to start going after your further options, such as:
- Flight instruction, good options in the UK and a few places on the european continent;
- Aerial Photography/Remote Sensing, etc.
- Seaplane rating in the UK or Como Italy, then see if you can get into Trans Maldivian Airways, you may need to build up some other experience and flight time (see above) before becoming eligible as a First Oficer there;
- With enough experience accumulated in the Maldives, you will have the option to transfer the rating to an EASA licence and may - deo volente - find similar work in Europe, Mediterranean, the Baltic;
- Or move on to same or other options elsewhere.

Just some thoughts from own experience and bygone ambitions :-)

Go for it!

jr