PDA

View Full Version : How long did modular take for you?

eden.vnst
2nd Jun 2024, 17:37
Hi,

I'm 17 and currently thinking of what path to take for flight training.

I was wondering how long other people have spent training modularly?

Would be disadvantaged if I spread training out over 5 years while working a full time job vs saving up and doing it all in 18 months?

Thanks

rudestuff
2nd Jun 2024, 20:40
You need to pay for it one way or another, and of that means saving up, so be it. You can spread your training across that time frame if you wish, but you will find that you learn more and save more of you do everything in as short a period as possible. For example if you fly 5 hours per week then a PPL might take 9 weeks (45 hours) - but if you fly 1 hour per week you can expect it to take 60 weeks. Why? Because skills fade. Personally I would get all the theory out of the way before you ever sit in an airplane. Then complete the PPL syllabus as quickly as you can.

Iflyplainplanes
13th Jun 2024, 01:40
If you can save 100k to drop in one go, put it in a house.

If you can drop 10k here and there you can see how it goes. You also get some real world skills too. It takes as long as it takes, don‘t rush, go at your own pace.

also once you get the minimums for a job you are probably not „done“ you‘ll need to keep things current maybe add some other ratings on there, convert to foreign licences for job opportunities and the training that may require etc. So modular doesn‘t really stop. If it takes you years to find that first job then you can add that onto your time.

Also fly because you enjoy it, don‘t expect to find work. Be prepared to be doing GA/Flight instructing for years potentially.

dekammeron
13th Jun 2024, 09:36
55K modular training, living 20K, total 2 years.

FougaMagister
23rd Jun 2024, 14:50
48-50,000 Sterling. Modular 0 to MCC. 20 months. But that was in 2001-2003...

Cheers :cool:

AlwaysWondering
24th Jun 2024, 12:31
One guy I know did it in about 12 months. It's why I laugh at people who say integrated is better because it's faster.
1 month for PPL, 6 months for ATPL, 1 month doing hour building and the night rating, 2 months for the CPL and ME-IR, and 2 weeks for the MCC.
Yes, very intensive, but doable. Though the normal modular rate is 15-24 months, I'd say. A lot depends on how quickly you can start courses, get exam dates, and have luck with weather and availability.

Spreading it out is no issue at all. Doing the PPL and hour building part time is very doable - in fact, it's pretty normal in the UK. But don't leave long gaps as recency and skills fade are very real. ATPL exams parts time whilst working is tough, but again many have done it that way. For the CPL/IR end of things, I think intensive works better.

On finance, a lot depends on incomings and outgoings. What's your plan for those?
Also, always expect things to take longer and cost more than you initially think.

mrguy
24th Jun 2024, 14:29
From 0 hours to MCC completion was 7 years 11 months for me.

However, I finished with no debt related to flight training and a career in another industry I hope to be able to go back to should I ever need to. In that time I also bought a house, had a kid, got married. I also slowed my training down a few times due to external factors like COVID & Brexit.

That's the main benefit of modular, everyone has different circumstances and a different journey. It's worked out so far for me, I have a start date with an airline flying Airbuses in 6 weeks.

Iflyplainplanes
27th Jun 2024, 05:43
From 0 hours to MCC completion was 7 years 11 months for me.

However, I finished with no debt related to flight training and a career in another industry I hope to be able to go back to should I ever need to. In that time I also bought a house, had a kid, got married. I also slowed my training down a few times due to external factors like COVID & Brexit.

That's the main benefit of modular, everyone has different circumstances and a different journey. It's worked out so far for me, I have a start date with an airline flying Airbuses in 6 weeks.

Absolutely the right way to go. All the parents of 18 year olds looking at their options willing to refinance houses or whatever should read this and let their kids get on with it themselves, get life skills, take the time. Anyone considering getting into it should take heart that it won’t always take 2 odd years to get done.

Congratulations on the job!