PDA

View Full Version : U.K. Class 1 medical

all_mod_cons
1st Jun 2024, 16:51
Appologies if this has been asked before.
Is working as a salaried single pilot for a private helicopter owner non CAT, classed as “Commercial Operations” with respect to requirements of a class one medical in the U.K.?

Tayters
1st Jun 2024, 21:12
I guess if the pilot is being renumerated for those sevices with money or other perks then yes.

OvertHawk
2nd Jun 2024, 07:09
Depending on what the ownership structure and how your contract is written then no, it does not have to be CAT and can be flown without a Class 1

Bravo73
2nd Jun 2024, 16:38
My understanding is that to receive remuneration as a pilot (ie ‘a salaried single pilot’) then you require at least a CPL(H). A CPL requires a Class 1 medical. This includes NCO/NCC flying, as well as CAT.

A loophole seems to exist where someone is employed as, say, an Estate Manager or Gardener but with ‘additional duties’. (ie chauffeuring or flying). This could be done on a PPL. However, I’m not sure of the legality of that situation (or if it has ever been tested in the law courts).

Hughes500
2nd Jun 2024, 20:52
Basically you need a class 1 if you are receiving any sort of renumeration or benefit from flying

gipsymagpie
2nd Jun 2024, 22:06
Basically you need a class 1 if you are receiving any sort of renumeration or benefit from flying
That's right but it's a joy to prove that in the regulations. The way it goes is that (in the UK and EASA at least):

FCL.205.H says the privileges of PPL(H) are only to fly without remuneration (except for instructing or examining for PPL or attached ratings)
FCL.305 does not mention this restriction for a CPL
MED.A.30 says you need a Class One to exercise privileges of a CPL

​​​​​So yes, what Hughes said

2nd Jun 2024, 22:08
Yes, I keep my class 1 going just to cover any eventualities

212man
2nd Jun 2024, 22:57
So, to ferry a privately owned aircraft? Whilst employed by the management company with the NCC/145 approval?

hargreaves99
3rd Jun 2024, 10:16
You only need a Class 2 for flight instruction

And if you are employed as a pilot for someone, ie their private pilot in an aircraft they own, a Class 1 medical is not required. In fact you may not even need a CPL.

Hughes500
3rd Jun 2024, 15:24
I realise that if you are instructing you only need a class 2 and pplh but that wasnt in the question

212man
3rd Jun 2024, 16:15

And if you are employed as a pilot for someone, ie their private pilot in an aircraft they own, a Class 1 medical is not required. In fact you may not even need a CPL.
But if you do have a CPL, you need a Class 1

hargreaves99
3rd Jun 2024, 17:08
no, but you said this

"Basically you need a class 1 if you are receiving any sort of renumeration or benefit from flying"

which is not true, as you get paid for flight instruction, but you do not need a class 1 medical.

I realise that if you are instructing you only need a class 2 and pplh but that wasnt in the question

Northernstar
3rd Jun 2024, 19:19
Therefore do those who fly for remuneration in the U.K. with only FAA licence and medical breach the rules when they do?

There is certainly one airframe in ‘God’s county’ on M reg with an FAA licence holder flying alternating with a PPL holder.

Also does a medical limitation or restriction limit what can be done? Many fly offshore multi crew with a multi crew only limitation for CAT but what about private NCO/NCC?

hargreaves99
3rd Jun 2024, 19:23
In the uk, outside of "proper" AOC work with G-registered aircraft...there is lots of dodgy flying going on with N-reg, M-reg, 2-reg aircraft using non-uk licences/medicals

gipsymagpie
5th Jun 2024, 16:41
But if you do have a CPL, you need a Class 1
Not quite true. You need a class 1 to get a CPL but then you only need a class 1 from that point onwards when you are exercising the privileges of a CPL. So if you have a CPL but only fly for fun, you do not need a Class 1

gipsymagpie
5th Jun 2024, 16:52

You only need a class 2 for instructing at PPL level. Class one for instructing CPL

And if you receive remuneration for flying anything other than PPL instruction you need a CPL and a class 1 medical. The only difference if you are flying for a private person on their aircraft is that you operate under Part NCO or NCC and not CAT. References above

hargreaves99
5th Jun 2024, 17:22
So... if someone buys a g-reg aircraft (eg AS350), and hires a CPL holder to fly him around the UK to his business meetings etc, that CPL holder needs a Class 1 medical AND it must all be operated under Part NCO/NCC

Is that correct?

gipsymagpie
5th Jun 2024, 19:58
So... if someone buys a g-reg aircraft (eg AS350), and hires a CPL holder to fly him around the UK to his business meetings etc, that CPL holder needs a Class 1 medical AND it must all be operated under Part NCO/NCC

Is that correct?
Part NCO as a Squirrel is an "Other than Complex" helicopter but yes.

212man
5th Jun 2024, 20:25
Part NCO as a Squirrel is an "Other than Complex" helicopter but yes.
Yes - 3175 kg line between NCC and NCO