PDA

View Full Version : Moving to HK

Cirrostratusss
31st May 2024, 08:56
Hi all,

I'm starting in HK soon at a major carrier, on the narrow-bodies.

Any expats here willing to share some of their experiences settling into Hong Kong? The Do's and Don'ts, and maybe some mistakes you've made, lessons you've learnt or any advice to a pilot-newcomer to Hong Kong.

Regards!

AviatorPac
31st May 2024, 23:19
Hi all,

Any expats here willing to share some of their experiences settling into Hong Kong? The Do's and Don'ts, and maybe some mistakes you've made, lessons you've learnt or any advice to a pilot-newcomer to Hong Kong.

Regards!

HK is pretty easy to integrate to be fair.

One thing I would say is that you need to consider carefully where to live as this greatly impacts your quality of life.

What are your hobbies, night time habits, interests etc? Do you have kids, a partner etc?

Piet Lood
1st Jun 2024, 12:23
Whatever you do: don’t criticise the government, the Chinese government or your overlords.
In short: don’t complain and do as you’re told and you’ll be fine😞

CISTRS
1st Jun 2024, 13:53
Where to live?

If you're not going to live in Tung Chung, near the airport...
I suggest anywhere within a five minute walk of an ISLAND LINE MTR Station.

SkyCBTA
2nd Jun 2024, 03:06
Where to live?

If you're not going to live in Tung Chung, near the airport...
I suggest anywhere within a five minute walk of an ISLAND LINE MTR Station.

Could you share the benefits live in Tung Chung other than closer to the airport?

corporal klinger
2nd Jun 2024, 05:21
Check out Discovery Bay. Best for family life or if you have a dog. Walking distance to schools, hiking trails, beach and affordable. The ferry takes only 25 min to downtown and runs every 30 min, rush hour every 20. It is unbeatable for commute to work. Not ideal if you are a bachelor and want to party every night, more a family place with a community feel. You can get seeview apartments for half the price compared to HK island.

SkyCBTA
2nd Jun 2024, 07:37
Check out Discovery Bay. Best for family life or if you have a dog. Walking distance to schools, hiking trails, beach and affordable. The ferry takes only 25 min to downtown and runs every 30 min, rush hour every 20. It is unbeatable for commute to work. Not ideal if you are a bachelor and want to party every night, more a family place with a community feel. You can get seeview apartments for half the price compared to HK island.

Highly appreciate for your kind reply sir. I will check it out your recommendations as well. Big thanks🙏

AviatorPac
2nd Jun 2024, 08:42
Hi all,

Regards!

I'll send you a DM ;-)

bonzaboy
2nd Jun 2024, 12:39
Be careful.DB is a soulless Legoland.

Hardrod
2nd Jun 2024, 15:15
"Discovery Bay ferry firm seeks 60% fare hike to HK$73.6 for a single, amid years of taxpayer bailouts, subsidies"
https://hongkongfp.com/2024/03/25/discovery-bay-ferry-firm-seeks-60-fare-hike-to-hk73-6-for-a-single-amid-years-of-taxpayer-bailouts-subsidies/

I would stay out of DB if I were you, better to stay in the Kowloon side or NT, where rent is much cheaper, so does food.
With the Shatin to Central Link, it only takes about 30 mins from Sha Tin or Tai Wai to Central. Plenty of air crews living in that area.

AviatorPac
2nd Jun 2024, 21:01
Having lived in DB in the past I will never go back. I'd personally avoid but it is right for some.

veryoldchinahand
3rd Jun 2024, 04:14
Discovery Bay tends to be an inward looking fairly transient community and although not geographically far from the airport is isolated. .It was very popular with Americans who tended to stay 2 or 3 years .Many left re the pandemic and due to American policy re China have never returned. It is a strange sort of place and prices there are high. It is reasonably cheap now but seemingly only 60% of houses occupied. having said that it suits some and has good amenities and reasonable schools. Perhaps worth taking a look.

We as a family have been in HK more than 40 years and fully agree with @Hardrods comments above. Another suggestion If you don't mind the 50 minute drive and enjoy the water and boats Sai Kung is a great family option which for many years prior to 1997 when Kai Tak closed was the home for CX pilots and still is for many both active and retired. Its HKG's only 'country town',has everything and rentals are larger and cheaper than most places - I am retired now but we lived there very happily for 20+ years.
I would suggest avoiding HK Island its expensive and nothing to be gained from locating there other than for high end shopping and the fleshpots and food of Wanchai. With HKs very good, extensive (and cheap) public transport network it takes only a few minutes to get there by bus, ferry, train or car (plenty of paid parking.
If you are a single bloke or no kids the inner suburbs of Kowloon make an excellent reasonably priced (for HK) base . The further out you go the more you normally get for your dollar
Politically there are are absolutely no problems here unless you are some sort of very hard core radical. HK is what it is, has always been a colony of somewhere is a good place to live with a great expat community and infrastructure!

Zi Peng
3rd Jun 2024, 06:47
DB used to be okay if you manage to stay away from pilots which can be done.
Different place now, expat community disappearing.
If you have kids start thinking about schools.
You will stay probably in a hotel for the course, spend some time visiting HK.
Tung Chung would probably be the easy start, you can still move after a year or so.
There are no majors left in HK btw !

corporal klinger
3rd Jun 2024, 07:40
I never understood why people move to TC. What is better there compared to DB? The train? 5 minutes shorter to CX city? Unless you live in TC crescent it takes actually the same time to the city but children have to commute every day to DB for the school. I find the ferry ride relaxing and way more comfortable than the train. My children walk to school every day, they walk to the tennis courts, the pools..If they want to see a class mate they just walk over and knock at the door... I hike from my doorstep, my wife runs, we have a great circle of truly international friends from all parts of the world and all sorts of professional background I can communicate with, I have common ground, we even visited our ex-neighbours now in Sydney. I know almost all my current neighbours by name, almost none of them pilots, we chat. Yes, DB is artificial,no argue here, but rather that than claustrophobic and anonymous TC or Kowloon for me. Sha Tin??? Why on earth would a Western expat like to live there??? SK is lovely, but the commute terrible. I am on the bus, so it would be a nightmare, and costly too. And let's be realistic. We will never have any real contacts to locals, simply because we are too old/lazy/stupid to learn the lingo, no matter where you live in HK. I want to live around expats, and apart from HK island most are in DB. Expats are the only group of people I can make real and lasting friends with, not just a polite smile or small talk.I find that more important and "real" and the artificial scenery to me is just the background. What is the point of living in the "real" HK but living in a parallel world? That to me is fake, not DB architecture. If I could choose I would select Repulse Bay or Midlevels, sure, but it would cost me 7-10 k USD a month, so I rather pay my mortgage and leave with $$$ one day. I have never met anyone regretting to have bought in HK on the day they retire, but many that rented..

veryoldchinahand
3rd Jun 2024, 09:37
TC = worst air quality in HK
You make a good case for the advantages of DB ck and it does suit some expats very well.

Gnadenburg
3rd Jun 2024, 14:38
Corporal Klinger

The Sai Kung commute was fine and quicker than living in the Mid Levels say, walking the escalator and catching the bus to CX City. Think it was about 35 minutes door to door with one traffic light! Coming home longer as you had to pick up your car but many of us just took the piss and reported at the aircraft and parked there with a staff rate.

But alas, a new joiner may not afford a car? Nor does the company pay for your house anymore- what a deal that was! Owned a village house in Sai Kung and before COVID hit, had approval to continue with the scheme with a Mid Levels apartment.

cxflog
3rd Jun 2024, 15:01
All very good options. I lived in DB for a little less than 10 years as it was a (relatively) easy commute to the airport and very easy to get into town. TC has horrendous air quality and the addition of the tunnel and bridge to the mainland has changed the overall dynamic. South Lantau is great if you have a car or want to roll the dice on the buses, spent a few years down there before moving to DB. The best way to know what will work for you/your family is to go and visit each region, spend a day or two there; explore the public transport, the schools, the communities. Everyone has their own preferences, but luckily it isn’t too much of a pain to move after a year or two.

Good luck!

Rupperrt78
3rd Jun 2024, 23:13
South Lantau is always an alternative. Will need a car in the long run but it’s not as generic as DB, has nicer beaches too and just as close to the airport. 25 min with car. Downsides, no proper grocery shopping other than Mui Wo.

Climbpowder
4th Jun 2024, 04:08
You make a good case for the advantages of DB ck and it does suit some expats very well.

Im not saying no, but for the unfamiliar new joiner this sounds like you may die of lung cancer on arrival. Air pollution is not even close to many chinese cities like Shangai, let's not even mention India. I find most south american cities more polluted than anywhere in Hong Kong.

azhkman
12th Jun 2024, 11:09
I've lived in, in order, Mid-levels, Discovery Bay, Wan Chai, Kennedy Town, and Tung Chung now. I like Tung Chung the best. DB is not what it was pre-Covid for expat life. I think it had a surge in expats right up until Covid and when the measures dragged on, people left. All neighborhoods had their good points, but Kennedy Town didn't offer much other than good restaurants. When the air sucks in HK, it sucks everywhere, it's not like it is blue skies in DB and fumigation time in TC.
My kids walk to school too in TC, rents have stabilized, I'll be on six years at the same rate.

BuzzBox
14th Jun 2024, 12:36
Something cheery to think about:

Hong Kong homes remain most unaffordable in world for 14th year: research (https://www.scmp.com/business/article/3266634/hong-kong-homes-remain-most-unaffordable-world-14th-year-research?module=top_story&pgtype=homepage)

corporal klinger
15th Jun 2024, 02:49
The single biggest mistake pilots make here is not to buy.

Dingleberry Handpump
15th Jun 2024, 13:54
The single biggest mistake pilots make here is not to buy.
Tell that to anyone who bought in the last few years. you’d be mad to get on the HK market now. Prices are heading 1 way.

Commit a life changing amount of money/debt to an absolute **** tip (which they quite literally all are in HK)? No thanks.

Dilbert68
15th Jun 2024, 16:22
That used to be true but I'm not sure I have any faith in a property market recovery any time soon. Prices are still going down despite the government canceling their property cooling measures. There are plenty of vacant shops and flats all over HK, that flood of mainland money has dried up. Who is going to buy or rent these places?
I have lost more in the past 5 years being an owner than if I had rented the same flat I am currently in.

Hardrod
15th Jun 2024, 19:41
That's why people are taking advantage of the public flat system myself included. They rent it but never live there, give it back to the govt after 3 years then use the quota to buy a flat in second hand market, aka green form entry, this is the most economical way to own a property in HK! Of course it takes a long wait and a bit of luck.

corporal klinger
16th Jun 2024, 00:26
Dilbert, not sure if I agree that it used to be always good. Just look at past crises, prices did fluctuate in the past heavily before, SARS and handover as examples. In regard to price trend, how realistic is it to buy at exactly the bottom? We all try, but in reality it does not work like that. If you look at the HK house price index it actually rose last month. Prices reflect expectations, so by definition if you want to buy at the bottom you will have to buy at a time people are pessimistic. Still most think there is a point in time where the prices are low AND the outlook good. No such thing, not in real estate nor stock market.The strange thing with real estate ( or stocks) is that somehow lower prices seem to stop some people from buying. Just imagine the same effect with other goods, like tomatoes or a TV.
From experience, whenever and wherever you buy you take a risk and it is initially painful.The mistake in my opinion is to wait for the perfect moment, for too long.

https://www.house730.com/en-us/market-data/

Dingleberry, did you buy in Dubai? Prices increased there by almost 80% last 3 years. Would you trust this market more? I personally probably buy as well if I lived there, but was wondering if you see Dubai real estate as a safer bet. There was a significant russian money rush into the country after western sanctions, which could dry up or go the other direction again. Then no scarcity of land and enormous supply in the pipeline everywhere down there. Then you have Saudia emerging as cash-rish competitor. They will try everything they can to lure local HQ's and financial firms to Riad. Then the vicinity to a constant war zone.Then the unknown quality of future rulers. They are after all not selected by merits but purely by birthright, the next guy could well be a useless spoiled brat.Then climate change which will see the region go above 50 degress on a regular base soon and (ironically) flooding with no drainage facilities installed anywhere. Without local intelligence, this looks a lot more speculative to me than HK.

jjmclure
16th Jun 2024, 20:33
FFS. How can DB have clean air and TC is toxic.
Do you think the pollution only rises to the elevation of Lantau ??

veryoldchinahand
17th Jun 2024, 02:12
FFS. How can DB have clean air and TC is toxic.
Do you think the pollution only rises to the elevation of Lantau ??

Your answers are in the official published government pollution figures - not difficult to find.