PDA

View Full Version : Bob Prest, RIP

Jackonicko
30th May 2024, 22:22
Reports on Twitter suggest that Robert Prest, author of ‘F-4 Phantom: A Pilot's Story’, has passed away. An RAF F-4 pilot, Prest went on to fly Jaguars with the Sultan of Oman’s Air Force before flying airliners with Gulf Air, freighters in the Far East, then 777s with Qatar Airways.

There’s a brief thread about him at:

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/131834-robert-prest-what-became-him.html

and another at:

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/470845-robert-prest.html

Back in 2004, Nostone commented that:

“Made a name for himself as a highly capable F4 pilot in the RAF. I often heard him referred to as a “natural” pilot, whatever that means. He also made a name for himself with his book. The powers that be only found out about it at the last minute but, fortunately, did not ban it and allowed it to be published after a rewrite to avoid any embarrassment to the innocent.
“He then flew Jaguars for a Middle East air force where he was known as BCP. He had many claims to fame whilst there. The most famous, I suppose, when he ejected from the back seat, in an incipient spin, below 100 feet. The front seat pilot ejected even later and survived. Good old Martin Baker. There was a 40 knot wind blowing and Bob was dragged for over a kilometre across the stony desert. He was lucky to get out of that scrape.
“He then became an airline captain with a major Middle East airline and is the only person I have heard of to go straight into the left seat of a big jet having never sat in the right hand seat of any other aircraft, ever. But that is another story.
“He is starting a new job with a cargo outfit further east flying 744s.
“Bob, perhaps you will blow the dust off your typewriter and give in to public demand.
Another person who should put pen to paper is R*ck Le*. I wish I had the film rights to his life story.”

RIP and Blue Skies to the man who called himself the ‘Black Baron’, now reunited with ‘Lurch’, his equally legendary Nav.

Wrote like an angel - his book (and the eBook short illustrated) are highly recommended.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/368x516/screenshot_2024_05_30_at_22_39_17_e16787555bfa9bf98dd1bd0595 5214fabeb3cebf.png
​​​​​​​

Flugplatz
30th May 2024, 22:37
Loved his book. There was nothing like it at the time

Jackonicko
31st May 2024, 08:22
His son write the following on Facebook:

Robert Prest Senior 1949 - 2024
"To say the last few months have been traumatising would be an understatement."
"I never had any heroes growing up; I was in absolute awe of my father - the way he carried himself, what he did for a living, his booming voice. He was a rare breed, like the test pilot Chuck Yeager: fearless, yet humble."
"Every time he started training on a new aircraft, I'd sit for weeks, sometimes months, reading through his manuals and watching his training videos. It was a way of connecting with him that I truly loved.
He showed me what it takes to be a good father, husband, and how to treat women. He never had to raise his voice at me, not once. I feel blessed to have had 46 years with him."
"Watching someone you love rapidly deteriorate from cancer is one of the worst things imaginable."
"He showed no fear in life, and he was the same when facing death. I wouldn't expect anything else from a man like him."
"I gave him some morphine; he never normally took any painkillers. I explained that it would numb the pain, checked on him 30 minutes later, poked my head around the door, and we actually gave each other a little smile. That image will stay with me for the rest of my life."
"Rest in peace, Dad. Until we are together again, I'll take care of Mum just as you have - the strongest woman I've ever known. I love you."

2Planks
31st May 2024, 15:50
Fabulous book that inspired me. I’ll never forget the description of air to air refuelling…..

mopardave
31st May 2024, 23:42
As a school boy, I couldn't wait to get my hands on that book and I still have it.
RIP Sir

RAFEngO74to09
1st Jun 2024, 16:22
RIP and Blue Skies Bob.

I have happy memories of our time on 92 Sqn.

One amusing moment that comes to mind was when he came into the crew room one morning commenting about the outrageous cost of a replacement exhaust for his Porsche which was in the multiple DM 100s - several times the cost of a similar item on a less exotic car. No sympathy from the boys back then with banter along the lines of "that's what you get for driving a Porsche!".

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3736/12057867193_65c31e4820_b.jpg

Martin the Martian
1st Jun 2024, 18:14
His book, to my mind, is one of the finest ever written on aviation. On a par with Gann and Bach.

Never met the gent, but I am very sorry to hear of his passing.

treadigraph
1st Jun 2024, 18:35
Finally ordered a copy of his book, always meant to; looking forward to it.

RIP.

stevef
1st Jun 2024, 19:03
Another book (along with Fate is the Hunter and Chickenhawk) that I lent out and never got back. :* A great read and I've never forgotten him saying that a grandmother wouldn't have any problems flying a Phantom around the circuit (or something like that). Time to get another copy!