PDA

View Full Version : UK ATCO shift pattern?

ninja123
28th May 2024, 12:36
HI all,

Got a stage 3 assessment coming up shortly. Just wondering if there is a set shift pattern i could expect should i successfully pass everything.

I do work on a shift pattern, 24/7, 365 days a year but just wondering what the shifts might actually be like?

I currently do 4x12 hour shifts ( 2 days, 2 nights) followed by time off. Wondering if it was similar.

Also does EVERY single possible work location do night shifts, even smaller ones?

Thanks in advance!

Dan Dare
28th May 2024, 21:26
It sounds as though you are applying to NATS where most units have a basic 5 watch system of MMAANNOOOO over 10 days. These core-shifts should be quite predictable and the off days should be protected ,but most units will have variations such that some cycles you could be MMMMNNOOOO or AAAANNOOOO etc. and depending where you end up there may be less need for night shift workers so you will be rostered some form of day shifts instead. Most NATS units will have night shifts, but some such as Farnborough don't and I believe they do something closer to MMMAAAOOO over 9 days.

ninja123
29th May 2024, 06:55
Sorry, yes it is through NATS.

Thanks for the reply and advice!

The Many Tentacles
29th May 2024, 07:35
Like Dan says, the 24 hour units generally run a MMAANNOOOO 10 day cycle, where the first O is your sleep day after nights so you finish at 06.30 or 07.00 on the 7th morning. When you are not rostered on nights, and this won't be every time as they're shared out reasonably equally, you can expect anything from shifts starting between 07.00 and 13.30 with a maximum length of 8 hours on days 5 & 6. There's also the option of day 5 as a day off and then two mornings on days 6 and 7 instead. I've never worked at a non 24 hour unit, but I believe they are as described albeit with some variations on the specific shifts so it won't always follow a MMMAAA pattern

Edit - this is NATS units specific, other airports may vary, but from your choice of words around Stage 3 I'm also assuming you're applying to NATS

10 DME ARC
29th May 2024, 21:27
The general run 10 day cycle is MMAANNSOOO!!! The day following last night is not a day off, for a start you've worked 7hrs of it and then you need to recover!! Keep insisting on the S sleep day!!

I have worked this most of the last 42 years so.....:ok:

ninja123
30th May 2024, 10:25
Thanks for responses guys.

What time does the night shift start? Are they all 8 hour shifts?

zonoma
4th Jun 2024, 23:19
Again, timings will depend on the unit, but night shifts tend to be from 10pm to 7am, and the morning shifts shorter to accomodate average of 8 hour shifts. There are local variances of this.