PDA

View Full Version : Pilot bails from skydive aircraft

DogTailRed2
26th May 2024, 18:44
... but everyone survives???
Pilot 'parachutes out of crashing plane with six other passengers on board' | Daily Mail Online (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13460543/Pilot-parachutes-crashing-plane-leaving-six-passengers-fend-aircraft-went-down.html)

Prop swinger
26th May 2024, 19:07
Typical Daily Fail.
ASN report (https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/388337):
A Cessna U206C Super Skywagon (Turbine Conversions Pratt Ltd Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-20 550 hp turbine conversion) experienced a Skydiver premature parachute deployment at 14,000 msl damaging the tail section. The pilot was able to parachute to safety after the six skydivers jumped out and the aircraft was destroyed. The plane crashed in a field east of Butler Memorial Airport (BUM/KBUM), Butler, Missouri. No injuries.

FUMR
26th May 2024, 20:56
Had to be. When you see the wreckage no one would have survived that!

DaveReidUK
26th May 2024, 21:18
I guess the Daily Fail thought that "Pilot parachutes out of crashing plane once no remaining passengers on board" wouldn't generate as many clicks.

shinz0
26th May 2024, 23:04
I guess the Daily Fail thought that "Pilot parachutes out of crashing plane once no remaining passengers on board" wouldn't generate as many clicks.
You think? :) Oh so typical of the Daily Fail & its borderline dishonesty.

nojwod
27th May 2024, 03:04
If i see daily mail on any article anywhere I move on straight away.

jackharr
27th May 2024, 06:28
nojwodIf I see daily mail on any article anywhere I move on straight away.

As a child, I used to read comics such as the Beano or the Dandy. In old age, the Daily Mail and the Yarmouth Mercury (Norfolk, where I grew up) now provide the equivalent entertainment.

cats_five
27th May 2024, 06:39
The headline is rubbish but the article does say:

"The six others on board were all skydivers and were all able to jump clear of the Cessna before it struck the ground.The pilot was the last once to leave the doomed plane. "

DaveReidUK
27th May 2024, 08:17
You think? :) Oh so typical of the Daily Fail & its borderline dishonesty.

I think that was the point I was making ...

Pilot DAR
27th May 2024, 13:53
I fixed the thread title, to be more accurate...

Pilot DAR

Prop swinger
27th May 2024, 14:45
We were talking about a very similar accident in Switzerland back in February. Sadly the pilot in that accident was not wearing a parachute & had no chance to escape.
https://www.pprune.org/accidents-close-calls/657687-para-drop-flight-accident.html

visibility3miles
27th May 2024, 22:32
I think in the US the pilot of a jump plane is REQUIRED to wear a parachute.

Still, yes clickbait and a sensationalist headline.

aox
27th May 2024, 23:16
The headline is rubbish but the article does say:

"The six others on board were all skydivers and were all able to jump clear of the Cessna before it struck the ground.The pilot was the last once to leave the doomed plane. "

It did by the time you quoted from it, but a previous version of that paragraph was

"It is unclear whether the other passengers were also able to escape the Cessna before it struck the ground."

It's still badly edited, still containing them miraculously surviving a plane crash, when in fact they'd avoided being in it

OldnGrounded
27th May 2024, 23:27

I think the pilot-chute requirement "only" applies to flying with open doors/door modifications, but that obviously means it applies to a very large percentage of jump airplanes.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/library/documents/2016/Sep/120445/Flying%20for%20Skydive%20Operations.pdf

pchapman
28th May 2024, 02:26
I think the pilot-chute requirement "only" applies to flying with open doors/door modifications, but that obviously means it applies to a very large percentage of jump airplanes.

Depends on what is specified in the approvals for jump door modifications, but yes many jump aircraft require it. Typically small Cessnas. Not necessarily for the larger turbine aircraft. Still everyone knows it is highly recommended. Occasionally a pilot in a large jump aircraft doesn't wear a parachute, but that tends to also be in aircraft with a higher tail, like a Twin Otter, or a Skyvan. (I don't know for sure for each particular aircraft & jump door STC; this is just my observation as a jumper.)

Pilot DAR
28th May 2024, 03:15
The pilot is required to wear a 'chute in Canada too. I had to wear one when I flew jumpers, and it was quite uncomfortable in the Cessna seat! But I see the wisdom of the rule! I don't know if it gets relaxed for larger airplane sizes. I asked the jumpmaster once if their hitting the H stab (C185 & C206) was a risk. He told me that they try for fun. I asked him not to try! But, I have seen several photos of 182 H stabs which had been hit by a jumper, so it is obviously possible.

treadigraph
28th May 2024, 07:35
The pilot is required to wear a 'chute in Canada too. I had to wear one when I flew jumpers, and it was quite uncomfortable in the Cessna seat! But I see the wisdom of the rule! I don't know if it gets relaxed for larger airplane sizes. I asked the jumpmaster once if their hitting the H stab (C185 & C206) was a risk. He told me ththey try for fun. I asked him not to try! But, I have seen several photos of 182 H stabs which had been hit by a jumper, so it is obviously possible.
Have you seen the pic of the UK C182, pilot and hapless jumper descending under the jumper's 'chute, the shrouds of which were wrapped round the tail? I've seen it but don't have it. Both survived, think it was early '70s...

AAKEE
28th May 2024, 15:21
The rulemaking has tended to state that either turbine or multiengine A/C does’nt call for a chute for the diverdriver.

But a real risk analysis would look at the probability for a chute to entangle in, or rip of the stabilisator.
Number of engines or type of engines will not make a difference when you have lost the tailplane and are going down.

Junkflyer
28th May 2024, 17:33
Some things are a good idea whether required or not.
Wearing a parachute flying skydivers is certainly one of them.

Gargleblaster
29th May 2024, 08:28
Here in Denmark there was an accident a few years ago where a jumper got his leg entangled in a safety belt or some sort of strap, and ended up being towed behind or under the aircraft. The pilot couldn't reach the belt-cutter tool on board, and couldn't leave his position to haul him back in. In the end, the fire brigade "lubricated" the entire runway with foam, after which they landed. Can't find the accident report now, but I remember that no serious injury was reported.

AES
29th May 2024, 08:44
I did quite a bit of "research" at the time of the para drop accident in Switzerland (February '24). At that time I had replies from several Forum members who claimed to be experienced drop pilots (and sounded like it to me) located in, as I remember, the USA, Australia and the UK. The replies to my queries all stated that if the drop a/c was turbine powered (as was the case with the Swiss accident) then a pilot chute was NOT mandatory.

Knowing virtually NIL about such aviation activity (my own background is retired engineer, large pax a/c) I then asked why, but never .got any replies. Personally I still don't see why not, but was able to confirm that a pilot chute is recommended but NOT mandatory here in Switzerland.

In the Swiss accident (only an interim report released so far), it appears that one of the sky divers had his stand-by chute accidentally open (apparently catching on some part of the a/c structure, internal or external not clear) and became tangled in the tailplane/elevator (again report not clear). Result was the tailplane/elevator broke off the drop a/c (a Pacific Aerospace 750 XL) which is powered by a P&W C PT6A.

It seems it was an in-flight separation, the tailplane/elevator wreckage was found some distance from the main wreckage site.

Had the pilot in this case been wearing a chute it seems highly likely that he would still be alive today. .

RIP Christian "Chrigel" Schrepfer

treadigraph
29th May 2024, 09:59
Here in Denmark there was an accident a few years ago where a jumper got his leg entangled in a safety belt or some sort of strap, and ended up being towed behind or under the aircraft. The pilot couldn't reach the belt-cutter tool on board, and couldn't leave his position to haul him back in. In the end, the fire brigade "lubricated" the entire runway with foam, after which they landed. Can't find the accident report now, but I remember that no serious injury was reported.
There was a super C4 documentary many years ago "Dead Men's Tales" which recounted - and recreated in part - a number of parachuting incidents that could have been fatal. One was a guy getting his jump suit snagged on a door pin as he exited a DC-3 over Arizona - he couldn't get back in and I think the pilot knew but couldn't assist; when the Dak landed he kept the tail up as long as possible then carefully lowered it and the jumper positioned himself so the chute took the abrasion! Great programme, wish I still had it.

clareprop
30th May 2024, 07:14
For what it's worth, I was a parachute instructor back in 1988. We had two a/c, a 182 and a Skyvan SC.7. Pilot always wore a parachute in the 182.

Peter H
30th May 2024, 09:43
There was a super C4 documentary many years ago "Dead Men's Tales" which recounted - and recreated in part - a number of parachuting incidents that could have been fatal. One was a guy getting his jump suit snagged on a door pin as he exited a DC-3 over Arizona - he couldn't get back in and I think the pilot knew but couldn't assist; when the Dak landed he kept the tail up as long as possible then carefully lowered it and the jumper positioned himself so the chute took the abrasion! Great programme, wish I still had it.

It maybe at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt111KflZVs

[My system is playing up and I cannot watch videos at the moment.]

skydivernigel
30th May 2024, 18:14
I've jumped from many different single & twin engine planes in the US. Some diver-drivers wear rigs, some don't. Pilot bail-out rigs are common in 152s and 172s, less so with King Air pilots. I don't remember any Twin Otter pilots wearing bail-out rigs (perhaps because tail-strikes/entanglements are much less likely?). All the CASAs I've been on the pilot wore one.
I think the choice is dictated by 1) whether the pilot is also a skydiver and 2) how far the he has to go to get out: nose down from the pilot seat would be hard to exit in some planes. So to best of my knowledge, bail-out rigs are not mandatory.

FWIW I've seen one KA nearly brought down by a jumper hitting the tail, another KA stall then spin on jump run due to jumpers shifting to the rear and the low hours pilot not catching it in time (KA jump-runs are at close to stall speed). It went from 15K to 5K feet in about 35 seconds, before the pilot regained control and limped in. The airframe was trashed, but surprisingly fixed up and sold on to a Hawaii DZ (where it soon crashed again with several fatalities).

I did ask a turbine Caravan pilot why he didn't bother, said he wasn't worried about the engine failing! Fortunately the pilot in this 206 incident did have a bail-out rig
Blue skies, black death (as they say in the skydiving fraternity!)

Still, yes clickbait and a sensationalist headline.

Junkflyer
30th May 2024, 21:27
I may be mistaken, but I recall something in the US about pilots that required them to wear parachutes depending on the modification requirements when certifying the aircraft for parachute jumping.
Flew a Cessna 402 and always wore one, never had to use it.
Kinda like training v-1 cuts. Always happens in the sim, hopefully never happens in real life.

treadigraph
30th May 2024, 21:30
It maybe at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt111KflZVs

[My system is playing up and I cannot watch videos at the moment.]

Fabulous, thank you Peter! Why my several searches didn't reveal it... Saved to watch on t'telly tomorrow night. :ok:

Prop swinger
31st May 2024, 21:36
Fabulous, thank you Peter! Why my several searches didn't reveal it... Saved to watch on t'telly tomorrow night. :ok:
WTF? They actually snagged a stuntman to the DC-3 exit to film the re-creation!

treadigraph
1st Jun 2024, 02:08
WTF? They actually snagged a stuntman to the DC-3 exit to film the re-creation!
Leo Dickinson recreated quite a lot of parachute incidents and hazards on film as I recall.

Meldex
3rd Jun 2024, 15:12
Have you seen the pic of the UK C182, pilot and hapless jumper descending under the jumper's 'chute, the shrouds of which were wrapped round the tail? I've seen it but don't have it. Both survived, think it was early '70s...

Place: Ashbourne airfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Date: October 18, 1975
People involved: Ken Miller (pilot)
Derek Scofield (jumpmaster)
Stewart Avent (parachute student)
Frances Ives (parachute student)
Parachute: Standard 24 ft. Irvin chute.
Aircraft : Cessna 182
Witnesses: Peter Denley (instructor)
Eddie McBride (photographer)

Sue Vêtements
10th Jun 2024, 00:17
"The pilot was the last once to leave the doomed plane. "

That's because he spent some time "wrestling with the controls"

I always wore a pilot's rig when flying jumpers (C182) because you never know what's going to happen up there. I was on a load once (as a jumper) and the woman sitting in the V of the strut had her container open and the parachute start to get line stretch. Fortunately someone saw it, caught it and everyone got back in the a/c

I always wore a pilot's rig, but . . .I have to say it belonged to the DZ and I had no idea what (if anything) was in it and when the pack date was

I never heard of a rule mandating it though - other than the 60 degrees of bank thing in Part 91

TwoDeadDogs
14th Jun 2024, 12:26
That's because he spent some time "wrestling with the controls"
I always wore a pilot's rig, but . . .I have to say it belonged to the DZ and I had no idea what (if anything) was in it and when the pack date was

This! I wore a 'chute when dropping meat bombs from 182s and an Airvan and wouldnt do the job without it. The 182 was an old high-back with a flip up door and I reckoned it was easier to get out of than the Airvan. The Airvan's pilot door is very narrow and you'd have a job getting back to the main door, to get out if anything went wrong. I also had a few goes in a 206 with a flip door. I did ask about the packing of the parachute and was shown that it had a valid pack ticket and was checked routinely. Never did a jump, myself, though.

megan
14th Jun 2024, 13:33
Airvan hey? The test pilot had occasion to jump from the Airvan when he couldn't get it to recover from a spin in the test program. Fell through the prop arc, fortunately the prop was stopped.

Wear a chute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCyt-sIMym0