PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire down

harrogate
25th May 2024, 12:35
Hearing reports of a Spitfire down at Coningsby.

Can't find anything on the socials yet.

Anyone?

harrogate
25th May 2024, 12:50
Coastguard rescue chopper from Humberside landing now.

East side of the airfield.

A few posts appearing on Twitter and Facebook now 😢

212man
25th May 2024, 12:55
Interesting to see they just held a crash exercise! https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation/stations/raf-coningsby/news/raf-coningsby-and-lincolnshire-emergency-services-join-forces/

I hope it’s a good outcome.

harrogate
25th May 2024, 13:10
I hope it’s a good outcome.

One news outlet on Twitter reporting apparently not, but their post has since disappeared. Or I'm being a flunk and can't find it again.

212man
25th May 2024, 13:10
From another forum
Everything is ok Rescue 912 on its way back to Humberside and the pilot on his way back to Coningsby.

But who knows its source…..

harrogate
25th May 2024, 13:13
I read Air Ambulance got their first, which it why Rescue turned back just after arrival on scene.

Lincolnshire Police have confirmed an incident on their Facebook page. Single occupant aircraft crashed in a field near the airfield. Definitely not anything to do with the rescue exercise that took place earlier in the day at Coningsby. Pure coincidence.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/28131323/spitfire-plane-crashes-battle-of-britain-event/?utm_source=sharebar_app&utm_medium=sharebar_app&utm_campaign=sharebar_app_article

I believe by complete fluke they may also have pictured the correct aircraft.

slfool
25th May 2024, 15:52
A Spitfire has crashed in a field close to an RAF station in Lincolnshire, the BBC understands.

Emergency services were called to Coningsby shortly before 13:20 BST on Saturday and remain at the scene.A Lincolnshire Police spokesperson said the crash involved a "single-occupant aircraft". No details of any casualties have been given. The spokesperson confirmed the aircraft had not come down at RAF Coningsby, which is the home of the RAF's Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF). However, it is not known if the aircraft belonged to BBMF.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-69056052

STENDEC North
25th May 2024, 16:13
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1290x813/img_0033_1edd3da4f054c92055e575f944540d0a32e05fcc.jpeg
From Twitter

Davef68
25th May 2024, 16:28
Nothing official yet. Fingers crossed.

MightyGem
25th May 2024, 16:49
From Twitter
Clipped the house, perhaps?

wrighar
25th May 2024, 16:59
Clipped the house, perhaps?

Eastern end of the runway. Likely a take off event..

falcon900
25th May 2024, 17:00
That doesn’t look at all like a good place for the pilot to have been. Fingers crossed indeed.

snapper41
25th May 2024, 17:02
Appears to have been MkIX MK356

ethereal entity
25th May 2024, 17:05
If the pilot was okay then it would usually have been announced very quickly. The lack of information on his/her condition is worrying.

wrighar
25th May 2024, 17:18
BBC has a better picture now:

wrighar
25th May 2024, 17:19
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1124/spitfire_21f4a5184eb64bea6a53503593215e157bc43764.jpg

Avionker
25th May 2024, 17:27
The tarpaulin over the cockpit area is a little worrying. Hoping for the best, fearing the worst.

212man
25th May 2024, 17:27
I don’t think that tarpaulin is a good sign

RAFEngO74to09
25th May 2024, 17:34
Eyewitness reported to GB News that he heard engine sputtering at height of 100m and then the aircraft flipped over - aircraft is upside down in the BBC photo (confirmed by BBC reporter).

SVK
25th May 2024, 17:35
RIP
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/828x978/img_8736_f1672423570858a54db7d9e608586f7ed31629d0.jpeg

MightyGem
25th May 2024, 17:42
Sad news.

ShyTorque
25th May 2024, 17:44
Tragic, tragic accident. My thoughts for the pilot's family and all at the BOBMF.

RHINO
25th May 2024, 17:47
Very sad news, condolence to the Pilots family, friends and the wider RAF community.

Mach the Knife
25th May 2024, 17:50
Of course the family have been informed, they’d have known something was up within minutes because of the inconsiderate “Ooo look what I know” posts and were probably searching desperately for news. A unique aircraft flown by a small close unit. How many Spitfires were flying from Coningsby today do you think. When something like this happens people should STFU and let the authorities do it the right way. There is a very good chance the pilot was a mate and I feel for his family at this difficult time.

Lomon
25th May 2024, 17:56
Condolences to family and friends!

First_In_Last_Out
25th May 2024, 17:58
Of course the family have been informed, they’d have known something was up within minutes because of the inconsiderate “Ooo look what I know” posts and were probably searching desperately for news. A unique aircraft flown by a small close unit. How many Spitfires were flying from Coningsby today do you think. When something like this happens people should STFU and let the authorities do it the right way. There is a very good chance the pilot was a mate and I feel for his family at this difficult time.

Well said Mach. Couldn’t agree more.

Notwithstanding, a sad day. Blue skies.

MPN11
25th May 2024, 18:07
Tragic. My sympathy for the family and all at BBMF.

wizdimic
25th May 2024, 18:11
Such sad news. Thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends.

Stitchbitch
25th May 2024, 18:14
My heartfelt condolences to the Pilots family, all on RAF BBMF and the wider RAF Coningsby family.

wiggy
25th May 2024, 18:38

Sad news, and condolences from me but unfortunately what you describe has always been a problem, even before social media so I’m not sure how you stop it.

I learnt of the death of a mate via BBC radio one sunny afternoon almost before the internet was invented and it happened pretty much as you describe - very small unit where one of the guys had a display role on a pretty much unique aircraft. . No name given by the BBC for several hours but once the type and location was broadcast it sadly wasn’t hard for those who knew him to work out who the casualty was.

RiSq
25th May 2024, 18:42

As horrible a loss as this is - it’s a bit of a strange take.

What I mean by that is - what did anyone share that was particularly offensive? The loss of life is tragic. And I am really sorry for your loss if it is indeed someone you know.

But equally, if you are lucky enough to fly such iconic aircraft, you loved the attention you got doing so - just flying a boring pattern in a spitfire draws attention.

So when one goes down, of course people will talk with the status of said aircraft.

The negative of that of course, is that its likely one of X number of people flying it - single digits.

But just as equally - the select lucky few that do, know how tricky the spitfire can be in a power loss on T/O can be - if the witness reports are accurate.

I truly am sorry that somebody has died and we’ve lost an historic aircraft with it.

But being privileged to fly this beauty, comes with attention - good as well as bad.

Its like the posts all over X stating these aircraft should now be banned and retired. These warbirds are probably looked after better than 99.9% of any GA single engine aircraft - as i reminded them - better ban the Cessna's and bonanzas etc too then.

Believe this aircraft was also active yesterday and functioned normally.

RIP Pilot

DogTailRed2
25th May 2024, 18:43
Was this the same aircraft that had an event last year or was that a different aircraft?

TURIN
25th May 2024, 18:51
Bugger! That is all. 😔

DogTailRed2
25th May 2024, 19:02
Very sad news. When things go wrong there is not a lot you can do sometimes.

cngaero
25th May 2024, 19:07
So sad to hear of this tragic accident today.
My thoughts and prayers are of course with the pilot and his family and friends, but also with the BBMF as a whole.
My condolences to all.

RIP.

RichardJones
25th May 2024, 19:08
R.I.P. Brave pilot. Condolences to the family and friends

What was the nature of the flight? Had this aircraft returned from a display, for example?

RAFEngO74to09
25th May 2024, 19:18
R.I.P. Brave pilot. Condolences to the family and friends

What was the nature of the flight? Had this aircraft returned from a display?
Today was first display of the 2024 Season after just receiving Flying Display Approval on May 20
https://scontent.flas1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/434423329_823958939758577_2466916330923369166_n.jpg?_nc_cat= 105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=UZ3kSmd0NwgQ7kNvgFG1y9C&_nc_ht=scontent.flas1-2.fna&oh=00_AYBxiI4pSjMEdkCMOWD5Eqh1RD1U5UCae1DGvCLEa5aprQ&oe=66581294
Accident was just before programmed time here

https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/events/Lanc,%20Tank%20%26%20Military%20Machines%202024.htm

RichardJones
25th May 2024, 19:20
Today was first display of the 2024 Season after just receiving Flying Display Approval on May 20

So sad

Jackonicko
25th May 2024, 19:41
It's little consolation to anyone that whoever it was died doing what he loved - however much I'd love to fly a Spit I wouldn't have traded places, nor would any of us, I suspect.

A terrible tragedy for the pilot, his friends, his family (and presumably for the Typhoon force).

I'm sure that the BBMF minimises the dangers inherent in operating these hard-to-fly, ageing high performance machines and makes it as safe as it can be (even using the Hurricanes and the rarest but most benign Spit variants as trainers for the later marks), so I hope that there are no hasty calls for the unit to stop doing what it does with such aplomb.

Is this the BBMF's first fatality? I believe it may be, and if so that's a great tribute to the unit's aircrew, supervisors and engineers.

treadigraph
25th May 2024, 19:47
I believe it was, Jackonicko. Hurricane accident at Wittering resulted in some injuries and I think Pete Thorne escaped the ground collision with a Harvard at Bex uninjured.

Very sad event indeed.

GeeRam
25th May 2024, 19:56
I believe it was, Jackonicko. Hurricane accident at Wittering resulted in some injuries

From vague memory Al Martin broke his ankle, and suffered some minor burns after managing to nurse '363 to a burning wheels up at Wittering.

treadigraph
25th May 2024, 20:05
From vague memory Al Martin broke his ankle, and suffered some minor burns after managing to nurse '363 to a burning wheels up at Wittering.
That sounds correct. His next display in the other Hurri led to a rather hasty landing back at North Weald with an engine problem as I recall...

Diff Tail Shim
25th May 2024, 20:15
I saw his cart wheel from 1 Sqns car park. Amazing he got it into the airfield perimeter. Cross wind gust saw him lose controlled flight. Very lucky to get out. The RAF fire service had the fire out in seconds mind.

Condolances to the family of the pilot, his friends and colleagues. Nature of his role is likely that some of his friends are friends of mine and some of his colleagues I worked with in the past.

Jimi182
25th May 2024, 20:45
Eyewitness reported to GB News that he heard engine sputtering at height of 100m and then the aircraft flipped over - aircraft is upside down in the BBC photo (confirmed by BBC reporter).

I'd love to know how they figured the plane was at a height of 100mtrs. Also, these engines aren't like the ones the witness probably is used to seeing. Older prop engines sound very different to modern prop engines that they might hear on passenger prop planes that pass by.

NutLoose
25th May 2024, 23:23
My sincere condolences to the family and colleagues, such a tragic loss. :(

With it happening so close to base, one can only hope there is a large amount of film and images provided to the AAIB to aid in finding the cause.

RAFEngO74to09
25th May 2024, 23:35
It's little consolation to anyone that whoever it was died doing what he loved - however much I'd love to fly a Spit I wouldn't have traded places, nor would any of us, I suspect.

A terrible tragedy for the pilot, his friends, his family (and presumably for the Typhoon force).

I'm sure that the BBMF minimises the dangers inherent in operating these hard-to-fly, ageing high performance machines and makes it as safe as it can be (even using the Hurricanes and the rarest but most benign Spit variants as trainers for the later marks), so I hope that there are no hasty calls for the unit to stop doing what it does with such aplomb.

Is this the BBMF's first fatality? I believe it may be, and if so that's a great tribute to the unit's aircrew, supervisors and engineers.

I knew it was tricky to get qualified on all the tail draggers but I had no idea that it took 4 seasons as a part-timer to qualify to become a new, full-time OC BBMF until I saw this video The next but one incumbent just started that process in April 2024 for the 2028 Season.

https://www.facebook.com/BBMF.Official/videos/341498972245741

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
26th May 2024, 04:06
I think that an original post at 1225, and then mainstream media reports being linkable around 45 minutes later is hardly jumping the gun. I dare say the family found out by what the media were publishing, not via a post on some obscure internet forum.

Shannon volmet
26th May 2024, 04:08
I'd love to know how they figured the plane was at a height of 100mtrs. Also, these engines aren't like the ones the witness probably is used to seeing. Older prop engines sound very different to modern prop engines that they might hear on passenger prop planes that pass by.
I don't think the aircraft is upside-down in that photo. You can clearly see this from the position of the exhaust stubbs and the radio mast which is just behind the cockpit.Of course I could be wrong, ( I quite often am ). Anyway, this is a tragic loss and my condolences go to the family and the BBMF team. R.I.P.

Bob Viking
26th May 2024, 04:34
There was some (justified) editing by the mods in the early hours of this thread. You are reading references to deleted posts.

I’m sure we’ll all hear more details later today.

BV

ORAC
26th May 2024, 05:19
With the reported location being on the airfield boundary the locals will be very, very familiar with the normal engine sounds of the BBMF aircraft.

jackharr
26th May 2024, 06:36
Very sad, but it was a part-time job with known risks.

I was in the Air Force 1958 to 1976. Had BBMF existed and been advertising for pilots then, I would certainly have asked to be considered, albeit fully aware of the risks.

So as another poster put it, that pilot yesterday died doing what he loved.

treadigraph
26th May 2024, 06:48
I don't think the aircraft is upside-down in that photo.

You are looking at the top and left hand side of the cowling - the fuselage is on its right hand side and semi inverted.

michaelbinary
26th May 2024, 07:31
Um, the AAIB wont be investigating, the military will investigate this.

dctyke
26th May 2024, 07:59

I always thought it was for the civilian police to decide? I know, strange, however that’s the rules.

Flying_Scotsman
26th May 2024, 08:04
The civilian police have 'primacy' initially as the accident site is classified as a 'crime scene' but will very quickly hand over to the military for guarding, etc. There is a military AAIB embedded within the Farnborough unit.

Kipper1985
26th May 2024, 08:09
The pilot that was tragically lost there life was an RAF pilot and the Spit is an RAF registered aircraft so the Defence Accident Investigation Branch will lead the investigation, base on my experience the AAIB will support the DAIB investigation.

Just This Once...
26th May 2024, 08:28

At best you are misinformed, at worst just splitting hairs. It is the same bunch of people, in the same building, using the same coffee bar and all other facilities. The military personnel all do the same civilian course as their civilian equivalents and participate in civilian-led accident investigations to keep their skills sharp and their hands in their pockets.

biscuit74
26th May 2024, 08:41
I knew it was tricky to get qualified on all the tail draggers but I had no idea that it took 4 seasons as a part-timer to qualify to become a new, full-time OC BBMF until I saw this video The next but one incumbent just started that process in April 2024 for the 2028 Season.

https://www.facebook.com/BBMF.Official/videos/341498972245741

I suspectthat it is quite possible that Sqn Ldr Jessett may not have had much prior experience of piston engined aircarft at all - and certainly not of high powered pistoned machines of wartime vintage. They evidently had some 'interesting' quirks,not to say 'challenging' flying characteristics at times, much more so than modern aircraft. To become Officer Commanding and an instructor repsonsiblefor training pilots for these machines is no small task, so four seasons lead in sounds excellent to me !

This is a very sad accident; a useful reminder of unforgiving flying can be. Engine troubles immediately after take-off are very difficult to deal with; so little time and limited spare energy which dramatically limits your options. I suspect many of us can imagine ourselves, with somethimg of an involuntary shiver, in a very similar situation; there but for fortune go we.
My sympathies to all who knew the pilot.

Kipper1985
26th May 2024, 09:59
At best you are misinformed, at worst just splitting hairs. It is the same bunch of people, in the same building, using the same coffee bar and all other facilities. The military personnel all do the same civilian course as their civilian equivalents and participate in civilian-led accident investigations to keep their skills sharp and their hands in their pockets.

The DIAB haven’t been co-located with the AAIB for 5 years now, they are based at Boscombe Down and despite doing the Cranfield Course, shadowing some AAIB investigations and using similar techniques and processes the DAIB very much do their own thing. They still observe AAIB investigations for experience but have their own regs, procedures etc.

The AAIB will provide an advisor to this investigation as it's the type of tragic accident that AAIB routinely deal with and they have more experience with dealing with this type of accident/aircraft

212man
26th May 2024, 10:05

Kipper1985 has it right. They are not the “same bunch of people” they are different organisations. They share the same facilities (as you say) and there is a formal agreement in place between MOD and DfT to allow mutual support where specific expertise requires it. I am sure this will be such a case.

Fonsini
26th May 2024, 10:17
What an unimaginably nightmarish day for that family. Absolutely heartbreaking, I hope the RAF takes very good care of them.

NutLoose
26th May 2024, 10:43
I don't think the aircraft is upside-down in that photo. You can clearly see this from the position of the exhaust stubbs and the radio mast which is just behind the cockpit.Of course I could be wrong, ( I quite often am ). Anyway, this is a tragic loss and my condolences go to the family and the BBMF team. R.I.P.

It is lying in a position similar to this one from the war where the pilot walked away from it, it appears to be on its side.

Link only, as I have tried to steer away from the actual crash image out of total respect for the family and friends, I hope no one is offended by me posting this link, it is only to give an answer to the above post.

So beware it shows a crashed spit in what appears to be a similar position and the pilot in that one was ok. Viewing is at your own discretion.

https://x.com/WW2Airfields/status/1707027598402875619

It is just so terribly sad that during a period where we are remembering those brave people that gave their lives to free Europe from the monsters running Germany, that we are now remembering another brave pilot 80 years on for his part in the act of remembrance. :sad:

Blue Skies.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/201x251/image_571784e2aa89afa5eb609f605c91e750a99a05fb.jpeg

​​​​​​…

BonnieLass
26th May 2024, 11:03
Many years ago I lost a dear friend in a warbird display flight, at his funeral this poem was the final part of his eulogy. I have no idea who wrote it or who to credit for it, but it was beautiful then as it is now.....

Final Checkride

Do not look at my grave and cry
I am not there, I'm up in the sky
I've passed my final checkride
And now I am free to fly
To places, I have only dreamed of
While flying mortals through the sky
Do not grieve for me, for I am free to fly
Do not grieve for me, for I did not die
I just joined the flying club high in the sky.

Sincere thoughts and sympathy to this pilot's family, friends and all who knew and worked alongside them. RIP.

Bravo Whiskey 7A
26th May 2024, 14:39
Dreadful news.
My sincere condolences to the family, friends and all at the BBMF.
Per Ardua

pr00ne
26th May 2024, 16:36
Very sad, but it was a part-time job with known risks.

I was in the Air Force 1958 to 1976. Had BBMF existed and been advertising for pilots then, I would certainly have asked to be considered, albeit fully aware of the risks.

So as another poster put it, that pilot yesterday died doing what he loved.

It did exist then!

bobward
26th May 2024, 16:39
John,
I must support PrOOne's statement.
Like many I've visited the BBMF hanger a few times and seen how lovingly these wonderful old aircraft are maintained. It's no cliche to say that they are better now than when first built. From memory this is the first crash BBMF have suffered since the 1980's (Hurricane at Wittering?), and certainly the first tragic fatality in close to 70 years of operation.

Because air accidents are so rare, they make front page news, for all the wrong reasons. Cars crash every day, with a huge number of fatalities, yet no calls for banning road vehicles.
Please keep a sense of proportion about this very sad event.

ShyTorque
26th May 2024, 16:51

I was in the air at the time and heard the distress relay calls put out by the Lancaster crew. Late 80s or very early 90s, I think.

Jobza Guddun
26th May 2024, 16:53
Shy,

11 Sep 91.

RichardJones
26th May 2024, 17:19
Was the accident aircraft inverted at all, from after takeoff, until coming to a stop?
Please dont flame me. Just curious, as to why it cost the poor pilot his life. If it did go inverted, then maybe the top of the cockpit should be strengthened. Similar to a roll protection bar on a convertible sports car, for example.
If the ill fated aircraft became inverted or did tumble, end over end then that cockpit roof would have taken a lot of the energy.

ACW599
26th May 2024, 17:20
https://news.sky.com/story/pilot-killed-in-spitfire-crash-in-lincolnshire-is-named-13143447

RichardJones
26th May 2024, 17:32
So young, so sad. R.I.P..

OKOC
26th May 2024, 17:34
Many years ago I lost a dear friend in a warbird display flight, at his funeral this poem was the final part of his eulogy. I have no idea who wrote it or who to credit for it, but it was beautiful then as it is now.....

Final Checkride

Do not look at my grave and cry
I am not there, I'm up in the sky
I've passed my final checkride
And now I am free to fly
To places, I have only dreamed of
While flying mortals through the sky
Do not grieve for me, for I am free to fly
Do not grieve for me, for I did not die
I just joined the flying club high in the sky.

Sincere thoughts and sympathy to this pilot's family, friends and all who knew and worked alongside them. RIP.
What lovely words-you made me weep.

WE Branch Fanatic
26th May 2024, 17:43
Condolences to the family, friends, and squadron mates of Squadron Leader Long.

Matt2725
26th May 2024, 17:47
I had a number of brief interactions with Sqn Ldr Long during my time on Typhoon.

Forever the gentleman, always kind and attentive. A huge loss. My thoughts go out to his family, friends and colleagues. A wonderful human being in my experience.

NutLoose
26th May 2024, 17:55
Was the accident aircraft inverted at all, from after takeoff, until coming to a stop?
Please dont flame me. Just curious, as to why it cost the poor pilot his life. If it did go inverted, then maybe the top of the cockpit should be strengthened. Similar to a roll protection bar on a convertible sports car, for example.
If the ill fated aircraft became inverted or did tumble, end over end then that cockpit roof would have taken a lot of the energy.

Your problem there is deceleration, think F1 cars before they introduced the neck support, you would struggle to fit a roll cage or bar, such as in the sea fury, but in this case I doubt it would have helped, the sea fury item was to protect the pilot if it nosed over. As to the attitude prior to the crash, that is for the AAIB and MAA to determine the cause and factors, something none of us should be attempting to second guess, the height it happened would also be a contributing factor.

RichardJones
26th May 2024, 17:59
Fair comment. Point taken. Thankyou.

Jobza Guddun
26th May 2024, 18:08
RIP Schlongy, it was a privilege working with you. Such a nice guy, thoughts are with the family and team BBMF.

RAFEngO74to09
26th May 2024, 18:10
(1) Royal Air Force on X: "An official statement from Group Captain Robbie Lees, Commander Display Air Wing, following the RAF Coningsby accident. Read the full statement here: https://t.co/jPLjs1jZQC (https://x.com/RoyalAirForce/status/1794775811116929059) https://t.co/zC74ratdw4" / Twitter

Bob Viking
26th May 2024, 18:12
An excellent pilot and QFI and a genuinely lovely bloke. My abiding memory will be our trip to the pub while our wives sat side by side in the maternity ward. We came back with a Chinese for the ladies to make up for it.

A terrible loss and a horrible time for his family.

I have no other words.

BV

PS. I just checked my logbook and we flew together three times. I was a QFI on 19 Sqn and he had just finished his creamie tour. I raised a few eyebrows when I gave him a 6 (out of 6) for the first of those sorties. 6’s were more rare than rocking horse excrement. I should add that he was a Hawk creamie and the sortie was the TW arrival GH sortie. I think it’s fair to say his GH skills were better than mine.

Jackonicko
26th May 2024, 18:28
I only met Mark a few times - the first time when he was a young first tourist, newly combat ready, with a massive grin seemingly always in place, and happy to introduce himself as 'Schlongy'. He was enthusiastic, articulate and utterly unphased to be talking to journalists, without any edge, and able to make people in my business feel like we were all on the same side as he was. Thereafter, he seemed unchanged every time I met him - friendly, cheerful, charismatic, funny and a simply superb advertisment and evangelist for the Typhoon, for the Typhoon Force, and for the service. I quite expected to watch a meteoric rise to senior rank, and I had looked forward to many more meetings and a whole lot more banter. Clearly a great pilot, he seemed to me to be a fine officer, too, and a bloody good man. I'm glad I'm writing this and not saying it, as thinking about his loss chokes me up a little.

Many here will have known him far better than I, and I really sympathise with them in their loss.

God bless you, Schlongy.

Stuck On The Ground
26th May 2024, 18:46
Schlongy. What a lovely chap. Rest now.

ShyTorque
26th May 2024, 19:33
Shy,

11 Sep 91.

Thanks, yes I looked it up to confirm the date. My RAF logbooks reminds me that I was flying 28nm further north at the time.

Jackonicko
26th May 2024, 21:03
Coningsby is hardly small - it housed V-bombers. Spits operated and operate from grass strips a tiny fraction of the length of Coningsby's runway.

NutLoose
26th May 2024, 21:43
Let’s not speculate, let the AAIB and MAA do their job. Remember the military is a small knit community and family members, as well as friends of the pilot, as we have already seen, could and can visit these pages.

Nick H.
26th May 2024, 23:52
The aircraft came to rest 200m from the taxiway. See the 2nd photo here https://news.sky.com/story/pilot-killed-*in-spitfire-crash-in-lincolnshire-is-nam*ed-13143447 (https://microcosm.app/out/6efWi) and this video https://www.facebook.com/HitsRadioLincs/*videos/878305174060319?locale=en_GB (https://microcosm.app/out/pffWi) They put the aircraft in the centre of this image, in the hedge between the house and the ploughed field https://maps.app.goo.gl/1k3XxzTiG88CMLmB*8 (https://microcosm.app/out/ygfWi).

VeeAny
27th May 2024, 07:30
As horrible a loss as this is - it’s a bit of a strange take.

What I mean by that is - what did anyone share that was particularly offensive? The loss of life is tragic. And I am really sorry for your loss if it is indeed someone you know.

But equally, if you are lucky enough to fly such iconic aircraft, you loved the attention you got doing so - just flying a boring pattern in a spitfire draws attention.

So when one goes down, of course people will talk with the status of said aircraft.

The negative of that of course, is that its likely one of X number of people flying it - single digits.

But just as equally - the select lucky few that do, know how tricky the spitfire can be in a power loss on T/O can be - if the witness reports are accurate.

I truly am sorry that somebody has died and we’ve lost an historic aircraft with it.

But being privileged to fly this beauty, comes with attention - good as well as bad.

Its like the posts all over X stating these aircraft should now be banned and retired. These warbirds are probably looked after better than 99.9% of any GA single engine aircraft - as i reminded them - better ban the Cessna's and bonanzas etc too then.

Believe this aircraft was also active yesterday and functioned normally.

RIP Pilot

I think the bit that was offensive, was as described by others, “look what I know” posts.

I was on the crew of a neighbouring HEMS unit and heard the crew that went being tasked to it.
Being a member of Coningsby Spotters FB group I had a brief look, hoping to see comments of a positive nature, instead one of the members had already posted that the pilot was deceased within minutes of the accident and before the HEMS aircraft had landed.

That’s not acceptable, if it’s bad family deserve to know before everyone else apart from the responders. In fairness to the people who run the group they saw it and temporarily closed the group to everyone, it’s still closed today.

Easy Street
27th May 2024, 10:05
I found the opening post of this thread:

Hearing reports of a Spitfire down at Coningsby.

Can't find anything on the socials yet.

Anyone?

and those following it to be a distasteful fishing expedition even before the sad news of a death was announced. It's one thing having something to offer, like an eyewitness account or links to credible reporting, but to venture forth on the basis of 'hearing reports' having scoured the 'socials' and inviting comment from 'anyone' really was terribly disrespectful. Perhaps the OP can reflect on that now, knowing what was actually going on at the time.

NutLoose
27th May 2024, 10:14
No, I read that as he was informing the forum of a strong rumour, but stating nothing had been reported to confirm it as yet and asking if anyone else had seen reports of the accident. He was not being disrespectful because it was only later in the day that the tragic loss of the pilot was confirmed.

DogTailRed2
27th May 2024, 10:59
I found the opening post of this thread:

and those following it to be a distasteful fishing expedition even before the sad news of a death was announced. It's one thing having something to offer, like an eyewitness account or links to credible reporting, but to venture forth on the basis of 'hearing reports' having scoured the 'socials' and inviting comment from 'anyone' really was terribly disrespectful. Perhaps the OP can reflect on that now, knowing what was actually going on at the time.
I don't find that post disrespectful and as for fishing everyone on this forum is fishing for something whether it be news, info, gossip. That is the nature of forums. Ask yourself why are you here?

Thoughtful_Flyer
27th May 2024, 16:16
BBMF Grounded

​​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-69065857

Nuasea
27th May 2024, 20:24
Was this an engine failure on take off and an unsuccessful turn back to try and make the runway instead of landing straight ahead?

SimonPaddo
27th May 2024, 20:36
In respect for a good pilot and his family, wait for the report, no value in any speculation. Thoughts with all the family, friends and wider Coningsby community at this most difficult of times.

CAEBr
27th May 2024, 20:42
Was this an engine failure on take off and an unsuccessful turn back to try and make the runway instead of landing straight ahead?
One of the quoted eyewitness reports states that the aircraft flew off towards East Kirkby before returning, presumably with an engine issue. The evidence of the crash position relative to the airfield suggests that - for reasons yet to be determined - that return to to the airfield continued successfully until it wasn't, at which point there was no suitable alternative.
Very sad that in an attempt to safely recover the aircraft the option of a forced landing, likely to be survivable, was in all probably discounted, with the ultimate price paid.
RIP

RichardJones
27th May 2024, 20:43
In respect for a good pilot and his family, wait for the report, no value in any speculation. Thoughts with all the family, friends and wider Coningsby community at this most difficult of times.

I understand that. But humans being humans, we like to have an idea of why a fellow aviator perished.

I respect the military and the job they do. However they are funded by the tax payer. Therefore we have a bit of a right to ask questions. This is how we learn.
I know the military will close ranks on this. That will also achieve nothing.

Fortissimo
27th May 2024, 21:18
I understand that. But humans being humans, we like to have an idea of why a fellow aviator perished.

I respect the military and the job they do. However they are funded by the tax payer. Therefore we have a bit of a right to ask questions. This is how we learn.

I am also a tax payer (and so are the military on here) but don’t feel I have a bit of a right to ask questions of the type you seem to be advocating. In the same way, I don’t feel I have a bit of a right to knock on a newly widowed woman’s door as one journalist apparently did yesterday. Instead, I prefer to have a bit of a right to use whatever empathy, compassion and common decency I have accumulated over a lifetime in aviation. I will wait for the inquiry to do its work. That is how we learn. If that is closing ranks, so be it.

Jackonicko
27th May 2024, 21:53
There are many of us on the journalist's side of the fence who might also have been tempted to knock on Mrs Long's door. I can't imagine any of us actually doing so but if we had done, it would have only been to deliver flowers and a probably slightly awkward but heartfelt statement of how very much her husband meant to us, and that we are completely at her service, whenever and wherever.

I condemn anyone who door-stepped her for a story - that's loathsome, unethical and unforgiveable, and the individual concern needs to be reported and disciplined.

I do not think anyone has a 'RIGHT' to ask questions, though human nature being what it is, there will be speculation, and it might be wise for the most wild examples to be gently damped down? On that basis, I suspect that CAEBr may have done something of a service, by providing an alternative explanation to the 'engine failed/attempted turnback' narrative.

Nuasea
27th May 2024, 23:13
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/614x454/img_1885_21062898f0e401c439d8861fd4b45e6e9df9f1f4.jpeg
During the 1970’s 207 Sqn had the task of escorting the Spitfires and Hurricanes for their displays.

The aircraft were not cleared for instrument flying and the British weather was often a problem. With a valuable aircraft and a crowd to please, it was not always an easy decision to decide to fly. No problem for the Basset, we could easily climb if the cloud base was not as high as forecast but not our WW2 aircraft. In fact on one occasion, due to a “navigation error” we almost took out the top of Melton Mowbray TV mast.

Any pilot volunteering was and is exceptional. In the early days there were pilots who had actually flown Spitfires and Hurricanes. I don’t remember there being a Chipmunk then. Todays pilots have very limited time on the aircraft and the “poor man’s Spitfire” doesn’t really fill the gap.

There is a great desire to save the aircraft when things go wrong.

I sadly lost a colleague in the Mosquito crash at Barton due to incorrect servicing of the carburettor by the same company that serviced those of the Memorial Flight. Fortunately there were no further incidents but as time passes the expertise disappears with retirements.

For me it was an enjoyable experience and long may we enjoy the sound of a Merlin engine.

A sad loss indeed.

bobward
28th May 2024, 07:03
Jacko,
A former colleague of mine lost his son in Iraq. He had to call the police to evict a journo who'd climbed over his back fence to take pictures of the grieving family through their lounge windows.
Is it any wonder that, in some circles, such people are treated with the contempt they have 'earned'?

Jon Jon Jon
28th May 2024, 07:07
Sir,

Please read this as a respectful and sincere reply to your above message where you say the following

I’m afraid to say you are quite wrong with this statement. The military will do a thorough and professional investigation which will be made public in time, the lessons of which will be clearly articulated. We must first be patient and allow the investigative team the time to establish the facts.

Proof of this openness is easy to find. Every major accident has the full report made public, just search and you will find them.

Within military aviation we have a very open culture to reporting issues and acting upon them. We never ‘close ranks’, we do make mistakes, like every organisation, but we have everything in place to report them and learn from them. Our safety culture is world leading and I’m sure many are very proud of it.

kind regards

RIP Sqn Ldr Long

Jackonicko
28th May 2024, 09:49
Jacko,
A former colleague of mine lost his son in Iraq. He had to call the police to evict a journo who'd climbed over his back fence to take pictures of the grieving family through their lounge windows.
Is it any wonder that, in some circles, such people are treated with the contempt they have 'earned'?

Just don't tar all journos with the same brush. Please.

El Grifo
28th May 2024, 11:18
In a former life in Jockistan I was called by one of the Red Top Rags to do a job.
A wages robbery had taken place at a local Army Base and a squaddie had been killed !

The requirement was to go to the family house and get a shot of the grieving widow, preferably with babe in arms and hopefully crying !!
I was told not to worry about access. They would send someone with me to ensure that the widow would be made available !
I promptly told them how far to stick it, after which they said " you will never work for us again "
My reply was " never worked for you before, so no great loss mate"

Dickheads !!

Thoughtful_Flyer
28th May 2024, 11:32
Sir,

Please read this as a respectful and sincere reply to your above message where you say the following

I’m afraid to say you are quite wrong with this statement. The military will do a thorough and professional investigation which will be made public in time, the lessons of which will be clearly articulated. We must first be patient and allow the investigative team the time to establish the facts.

Proof of this openness is easy to find. Every major accident has the full report made public, just search and you will find them.

Within military aviation we have a very open culture to reporting issues and acting upon them. We never ‘close ranks’, we do make mistakes, like every organisation, but we have everything in place to report them and learn from them. Our safety culture is world leading and I’m sure many are very proud of it.

kind regards

RIP Sqn Ldr Long

Really?

Sadly I am not sure the families of the Mull of Kintyre Chinook crash or the victims of the Red Arrows "excesses" would agree.

Alchad
28th May 2024, 12:02
Sir,

kind regards

RIP Sqn Ldr Long

As Thoughtful Flyer said, I think you'll get a bit of push back from your comment, or maybe your tongue is firmly in your cheek??

Thoughtful_Flyer
28th May 2024, 12:36
As Thoughtful Flyer said, I think you'll get a bit of push back from your comment, or maybe your tongue is firmly in your cheek??

Maybe, I certainly hadn't looked at Jon Jon Jon's post that way!

However, on a more serious point, it is important that any investigation is seen to be full, open and impartial and that is virtually impossible when any organisation investigates themselves.

dervish
28th May 2024, 13:15
Jon Jon Jon

You maybe need to clarify your position. If you mean what you say, that is one of the most seriously deluded posts ever on pprune!

NutLoose
28th May 2024, 17:00
BBMF Grounded

​​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-69065857

To be totally expected, and I would expect no other course of action, at least for those Merlin powered aircraft, safety is paramount, hopefully as the engine area appears to be pretty much intact they will be able to establish the cause of the engine problems relatively quickly and if it can effect the others in the fleet put a plan of action in place to remedy the problem.

Icare9
28th May 2024, 17:33
... but they're not the only Spitfires and Hurricanes flying - have those others been recommended to be grounded?
We often have them overhead around Beachy Head, Eastbourne etc.

Jon Jon Jon
28th May 2024, 17:45
Jon Jon Jon

You maybe need to clarify your position. If you mean what you say, that is one of the most seriously deluded posts ever on pprune!

I mean what I say 100%. I have studied many of them.

NutLoose
28th May 2024, 17:57
Icare9, no they are not affected yet, they may be if and when the cause is identified.

But in an organisation such as the BBMF they are in effect insulated from the fleets of the outside world, and until a cause it’s determined, you cannot be sure if the problem lies with your internal practices and maintenance, or with an external problem.

Therefore as it is a critical thing, with flight safety and as the lives of your crews are paramount, the safest course of action and the responsible one is to cease flying until the cause can be identified and rectified.

WB627
28th May 2024, 18:35
Icare9, no they are not affected yet, they may be if and when the cause is identified.

But in an organisation such as the BBMF they are in effect insulated from the fleets of the outside world, and until a cause it’s determined, you cannot be sure if the problem lies with your internal practices and maintenance, or with an external problem.

Therefore as it is a critical thing, with flight safety and as the lives of your crews are paramount, the safest course of action and the responsible one is to cease flying until the cause can be identified and rectified.

Not necessarily.

I believe the engines are now overhauled by outside contractors as are major overhauls of some of the airframes.
So there could be an issue common to the BBMF & others.

My thoughts and condolences to the family, friends & colleagues of Squadron Leader Mark Long.

RichardJones
28th May 2024, 19:02
Ok I appoligise for my perhaps ill thought put post. I stand corrected. It was not my intention to upset anyone.

I just upsets me, that we know so little and may have to wait months to find out, why a obviously very talented young pilot perished in such circumstances. I want to know why, although I am well retired.

Yes the wing loading is high, therefore will have a high stall speed and consequently a relatively high touch down speed. That can do a ot of damage. If the aircraft was out of control, stalled for example, the vertical speed is the killer.

It seems the aircraft is relatively intact looking at the photos albeit blown.up. Dare I suggest, is consistent with high vertical speed

For years I have advised fellow aviators to take an interest in accidents, reports. Not morbid but try to find out what happened. This helps us stay out of trouble

There but for the grace of God go some of us

Bravo Whiskey 7A
28th May 2024, 19:29
Anyone know if there is an online Book of Condolences please?

EDLB
28th May 2024, 19:42
Regardless of aircraft performance, power loss early on take off, which might be a possible cause here, always present a serious problem for the pilot.
Easy to second guess later from the arm chair. You can try 20 different reactions in the sim, and might survive in 5 of them. The pilot did his best, and died. We can only learn, if an investigation reveals the cause and series of events. So we have to wait for that.

henra
28th May 2024, 21:59
Regardless of aircraft performance, power loss early on take off, which might be a possible cause here, always present a serious problem for the pilot.
Easy to second guess later from the arm chair. You can try 20 different reactions in the sim, and might survive in 5 of them.
And that is not in a WWII fighter aircraft. Huge propeller, high wing loading, high span loading, glide ratio 1:brick. Rare, precious machine with difficult landing characteristics - that is with engine operative. EFATO /power loss is about the worst which can happen in such a machine. To put it a bit in perspective: In WWII for not few types as many pilots died in accidents as in combat. In that regard it is a blessing and sign of professionalism that so few fatal accidents did occur in these types in the last few decades. But sometimes the holes simply line up.

GeeRam
28th May 2024, 22:24
And that is not in a WWII fighter aircraft. Huge propeller, high wing loading, high span loading, glide ratio 1:brick. Rare, precious machine with difficult landing characteristics - that is with engine operative. EFATO /power loss is about the worst which can happen in such a machine. To put it a bit in perspective: In WWII for not few types as many pilots died in accidents as in combat. In that regard it is a blessing and sign of professionalism that so few fatal accidents did occur in these types in the last few decades. But sometimes the holes simply line up.

Excellent example for anyone that hasn't seen it is this in-cockpit video and post incident interview with Mark Levy regarding the engine failure and subsequent forced landing in the field east of Duxford as he tried to nurse a P-51D back to Duxford after engine intermittent engine failure during Flying Legends some years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBpqvPujZgM

treadigraph
28th May 2024, 22:44
Excellent example for anyone that hasn't seen it is this in-cockpit video and post incident interview with Mark Levy regarding the engine failure and subsequent forced landing in the field east of Duxford as he tried to nurse a P-51D back to Duxford after engine intermittent engine failure during Flying Legends some years back.

GeeRam, in the wake of this sad event I was thinking of exactly that accident last night and looked out the report - at that point the reason for the rough and intermittent engine running hadn't been established but it also reminded me of Pete John's (?) incident at Duxford when a rough running Merlin deposited a Mustang just inside the airfield and a good bit of flying stopped damage from the ensuing bounce over the taxiway lip from being a lot worse; I think that one was eventually blamed on damaged magnetos - did they ever pinpoint a reason for Mark Levy's accident?

Jhieminga
29th May 2024, 07:30
In remembrance of Squadron Leader Mark Long.
https://x.com/RAFLossiemouth/status/1795524207247528191

(Somehow it doesn't want to parse as a Twitter post... but there is a video of the missing man formation they flew in his honour in this post).

BonnieLass
29th May 2024, 07:46
In remembrance of Squadron Leader Mark Long.
https://x.com/RAFLossiemouth/status/1795524207247528191

(Somehow it doesn't want to parse as a Twitter post... but there is a video of the missing man formation they flew in his honour in this post).

Beautiful....

Having now seen the various images and video's of Squadron Leader Long, he came across as a deeply caring man, who's love, dedication, respect and enthusiasm shone through in everything that he did. He didn't just do a job, it was his life, his vocation and it was very apparent his dream to be a part of the BBMF and be able to show respect to the many pilots and crew who came before him in years past.

He will be so sorely missed by everyone who's life he touched. A lovely family man taken far too soon.

RIP.

Uplinker
29th May 2024, 09:41
Ok I appoligise for my perhaps ill thought put post. I stand corrected. It was not my intention to upset anyone.

I just upsets me, that we know so little and may have to wait months to find out, why a obviously very talented young pilot perished in such circumstances. I want to know why, although I am well retired.

For years I have advised fellow aviators to take an interest in accidents, reports. Not morbid but try to find out what happened. This helps us stay out of trouble...............

We all do - I do, but I am guessing that for example the fuel will need to be tested for contaminants and water, which will involve samples being sent to a laboratory.

Ditto engine oil. Ditto engine glycol.

And the magnetos will need to be tested under load conditions and rpms.

Maybe also the carburretor will need to be put into a flow bench test rig to see if it works properly under all air flows and temperatures.

Etc.

We do need to know, but we have to be patient. There is no flight recorder, as far as I know, (not originally, anyway),

RIP to the pilot. I always get tears in my eyes when I hear a Merlin engine flying past. So my thanks to him for helping to keep them going.

dervish
29th May 2024, 12:12
I mean what I say 100%. I have studied many of them.

Then you obviously haven't understood them.

Thoughtful Flyer mentioned the Chinook crash in 1994. Have you not studied the MoD's admission that the aircraft was not airworthy, meaning they grossly misled parliament and the fatal accident inquiry?

Back to your studying!

Nick H.
29th May 2024, 16:41
Excellent example for anyone that hasn't seen it is this in-cockpit video and post incident interview with Mark Levy

If only we were watching a post incident interview with Mark Long. Things which happen in hundredths of seconds make the difference between a fascinating story and the tragedy of a life cut short.

VM325
29th May 2024, 16:45
I thought I'd seen this a while back.
BBMF data gathering. (https://musketeersolutions.com/case-studies/data-gathering-and-analysis-service)
Not quite a full FDR but I'm sure it will help with the investigation..

It is important to know how each aircraft in the BBMF fleet is being operated on every flight and so Musketeer provides Modular Signal Recorders, which are small (70 mm x 40 mm) battery-powered devices that record the altitude of aircraft and how many ‘g’ (normal acceleration) the aircraft is experiencing during every flight.

Musketeer analyses the data downloaded from the MSRs for every BBMF sortie and provides reports to the BBMF Project Team about the flying carried out on their public displays performed around the country. This information is vital to ensure that BBMF aircraft are being maintained in accordance with their approved schedules.

Some of the BBMF aircraft are fitted with a more sophisticated flight monitoring system known as the Parametric Data Gathering System (PDGS). This multi-channel system has a wide variety of sensors and a data logger which can be interrogated to check, for example, engine coolant temperature or hydraulic system pressure at any stage of the flight.

RAFEngO74to09
30th May 2024, 16:49
Eulogies Squadron Leader Mark Long - Eulogies | Royal Air Force (mod.uk) (https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/squadron-leader-mark-long-eulogies/)

ZeBedie
30th May 2024, 20:10

I'm keen to learn; what is high span loading?

NutLoose
30th May 2024, 20:28
See

https://www.kitplanes.com/design-process-planform-effects-on-span-loading-and-drag/

Uplinker
31st May 2024, 09:35
@VM325, Ah, that is good to know.

Thoughtful_Flyer
31st May 2024, 18:27
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/801x799/screenshot_2024_05_31_at_19_25_37_1cfda1d1a2f41f498845c935f1 5d0e926c4a8d69.png
Posted this afternoon

Nick H.
31st May 2024, 19:32
The Guardian has just published this: "RAF sources said on Friday that Long radioed a mayday distress call within moments of takeoff before the plane banked to the right and started to descend dangerously. Nothing else was heard from the pilot, an experienced aviator, before the plane crashed almost immediately after." https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/31/wwii-aircraft-grounded-for-d-day-anniversary-after-fatal-mark-long-spitfire-crash

Thoughtful_Flyer
1st Jun 2024, 07:45
The Guardian has just published this: "RAF sources said on Friday that Long radioed a mayday distress call within moments of takeoff before the plane banked to the right and started to descend dangerously. Nothing else was heard from the pilot, an experienced aviator, before the plane crashed almost immediately after." https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/31/wwii-aircraft-grounded-for-d-day-anniversary-after-fatal-mark-long-spitfire-crash

​​​​​​IF that is correct (which obviously depends on how well informed these "RAF sources" are) it would strongly suggest a mechanical failure or I suppose just possibly a collision with some object rendering the aircraft uncontrollable.

DogTailRed2
1st Jun 2024, 12:03
Do you get monoxide problems with a sick merlin? John Fairey was killed by something similar.

212man
1st Jun 2024, 14:27
Do you get monoxide problems with a sick merlin? John Fairey was killed by something similar.
It was smoke inhalation from an inflight fire, not CO.

NutLoose
1st Jun 2024, 19:09
The ones I know would turn the indicators black as you are virtually inline with the stacks, so the cockpit would fill with fumes

Stitchbitch
1st Jun 2024, 19:43
When did BBMF start flying with boom mics? The previous oxygen mask was purely for carrying a microphone (no hose fitted), the exoskeleton did provide limited facial protection.

Centaurus
6th Jun 2024, 06:18
An earlier post mentioned that pilots at the BBMF fly Chipmunks (from the back seat?) as practice for their eventually flying the Spitfire or the Hurricane. The forward view from the back seat of a Chipmunk being restrictive similar to that of any WW2 fighter with a long nose.e.g Spitfire, Mustang, Hurricane. There are many Mustangs currently flying in the warbird scene. In contrast very few Spitfires. Perhaps consideration should be given by the BBMF to hiring a Mustang to give its pilots practice at the same restrictive view common to the Spitfire. Forward vision is critical when forced landing aircraft such a Spitfire with its long nose

Jhieminga
6th Jun 2024, 09:17
I don't know if it is still done, but there used to be a reciprocal arrangement where they would use the RNethAF Historical Flight's Harvards. I think they also made use of the Navy Wings Harvard at some point. See: https://www.memorialflightclub.com/blog/dutch-historic-flight-pilots-train-bbmf
They can do PFL training for the Spitfire/Hurricane on their Chipmunks by gliding them at 110KT (also from the article linked to above). I'm not sure there is a base that they haven't covered already in this respect.
See also: https://authentikit.org/atk/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/00-00-Spitfire-simulator_V1.pdf for an article on how they have used a Spitfire simulator for emergency training.

GeeRam
6th Jun 2024, 12:20
There are many Mustangs currently flying in the warbird scene. In contrast very few Spitfires. Perhaps consideration should be given by the BBMF to hiring a Mustang to give its pilots practice at the same restrictive view common to the Spitfire.

Err.....almost 50% of the worlds airworthy Spitfires are based in the UK (about 30 odd) whereas, there are only about 5 x P-51's in the UK.
The UK also has the most airworthy 2-seat Spitfires based here, and the only 2 seat Hurricane in existence.

Martin the Martian
6th Jun 2024, 12:34
The Shuttleworth Collection held a one minute silence before their air display on Sunday and carried out a missing man formation. Very well done, I thought.

DuncanDoenitz
6th Jun 2024, 15:38
An earlier post mentioned that pilots at the BBMF fly Chipmunks (from the back seat?) as practice for their eventually flying the Spitfire or the Hurricane. The forward view from the back seat of a Chipmunk being restrictive similar to that of any WW2 fighter with a long nose.e.g Spitfire, Mustang, Hurricane. There are many Mustangs currently flying in the warbird scene. In contrast very few Spitfires. Perhaps consideration should be given by the BBMF to hiring a Mustang to give its pilots practice at the same restrictive view common to the Spitfire. Forward vision is critical when forced landing aircraft such a Spitfire with its long nose

Not sure of the point of this, unless you're suggeting that its more acceptable to risk a Mustang-and-pilot rather than a Spitfire-and-pilot.

What BBMF does is not unique, but the speciallist nature of the activity will bring all staff into a close relationship with the wider warbird community so I think they will be aware of the assets potentially available for training their crews. In addition to Mustangs and British/European Harvard/Texans, the profusion of two-seat civilian Spifire conversions (and other types) means that there is probably a greater variety of dual-control, high-performance aircraft in existance now than at any time previously.

Stitchbitch
6th Jun 2024, 23:12
The inquest into the crash was opened this morning and adjurned after 5 minutes.Senior Coroner Paul Smith, sitting at Greater Lincolnshire Coroner’s Court, said an investigation into the cause of the crash was ongoing.

He said: “I am satisfied that the death of Squadron Leader Long is one which will require an inquest.

“Plainly it is early stages in relation to my inquiry.

“It is likely to be a complex inquiry. That being so I propose to adjourn these proceedings to a provisional date of November 24th this year.”

Nick H.
7th Jun 2024, 17:24
The inquest heard that Sq. Ldr. Long was pronounced dead at the scene by an air ambulance doctor. A post-mortem examination on 29 May offered a provisional cause of death as "traumatic head and neck injury". The precise cause of death was yet to be determined and was subject to further tests.

From https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/06/mark-long-raf-pilot-died-head-neck-injuries-spitfire-crash/ https://archive.ph/UPb6I