15th May 2024, 14:43
Another US potential runway collision.
https://youtu.be/sPUN4LbmMTs

Mogwi
15th May 2024, 15:00
Good old US ATC!

DogTailRed2
15th May 2024, 20:28
Why does the airliner state they are returning to the gate?

Lake1952
15th May 2024, 21:40

Not sure what speed the AA flight was at when the RTO occurred. Could be a brake temp issue or possible to refuel.

Bksmithca
15th May 2024, 22:00
Not sure what speed the AA flight was at when the RTO occurred. Could be a brake temp issue or possible to refuel.
At about 1.26 in the video a note shows saying ground speed was 60 knots. Can't see it being a fuel issue or brakes. Maybe wanting to file a report with the FAA? It will be interesting to find out why.

Tarq57
15th May 2024, 22:46
In many cases there is a mandatory stand-down following a serious incident.
Whether or not it is compulsory in this case, the crew quite likely felt rattled enough that they wanted a break anyway.

The Fat Controller
16th May 2024, 04:59
If someone had put me in a potentially life-threatening situation I certainly would not want to do anything but calm down, so their decision to return to the gate was entirely correct and understandable.

Check Airman
16th May 2024, 06:26
At about 1.26 in the video a note shows saying ground speed was 60 knots. Can't see it being a fuel issue or brakes. Maybe wanting to file a report with the FAA? It will be interesting to find out why.

My guess would be that maintenance is required if the RTO starts above a certain speed.

Equivocal
16th May 2024, 08:32
In many cases there is a mandatory stand-down following a serious incident.
Whether or not it is compulsory in this case, the crew quite likely felt rattled enough that they wanted a break anyway.in the spirit of full disclosure, I’ll admit upfront that I’m a safety person regularly dealing with safety management systems…….you know, those things that all aircraft operators (and just about everyone else) are supposed to have to get their AOC and IOSA and the like bits of paper. Any good SMS should, wherever practicable, take people out of operational positions following a serious incident to enable an initial assessment of the event takes place. That assessment should consider whether anybody’s competence is in question and also whether those involved are fit to return to operational work. The same should certainly happen in ATC in this instance.

mike current
16th May 2024, 12:22
in the spirit of full disclosure, I’ll admit upfront that I’m a safety person regularly dealing with safety management systems…….you know, those things that all aircraft operators (and just about everyone else) are supposed to have to get their AOC and IOSA and the like bits of paper. Any good SMS should, wherever practicable, take people out of operational positions following a serious incident to enable an initial assessment of the event takes place. That assessment should consider whether anybody’s competence is in question and also whether those involved are fit to return to operational work. The same should certainly happen in ATC in this instance.

A controller involved in a runway incident like this is not fit to return to operational work.

FUMR
16th May 2024, 13:43
A controller involved in a runway incident like this is not fit to return to operational work.

What utter tosh!

GregAmy
16th May 2024, 14:20
To change underwear.

MarkerInbound
16th May 2024, 14:22
They could have been at min takeoff fuel and need a few more pounds to try again. More likely after an AA crew was roasted for crossing in front of a departing Delta flight at JFK last year and then taking off for Europe and having the voice recorder overwritten the figured they should have the CVR downloaded to show it wasn’t their fault.

MPN11
17th May 2024, 11:58
From my simple ex-ATCO POV that was just sheer incompetence on the part of Tower. But there may have been other factors at play, which the eventual report mat reveal.

DogTailRed2
17th May 2024, 14:36
In these situations do pilots listen out for potential issues?
If the pilot told to cross hears that another aircraft is cleared to take off should they, or both pick up on that situation? Or is it just too dynamic, too demanding to pick up on such things?
I feel I would be slightly concerned to hear an aircraft cleared on the runway I was crossing.

FUMR
17th May 2024, 18:30
I think that once cleared for take off they are focused on just that. R/T communications concerning other callsigns become background chatter. However, at least one of the crew will be keeping a lookout which is exactly what happened here.

172_driver
17th May 2024, 21:30
In these situations do pilots listen out for potential issues?

You most definitely do, whether conciously or not, but there is no guarantee it will be picked up.
I am not a big fan of crossing runways in use but accept it as part of reality. Being on the same frequency helps building your situational awareness. I understand many of the recent near misses in the US has involved aircraft and controllers on different frequencies operating on the same piece of land. Quite concerning.

Capn Bloggs
18th May 2024, 04:23
"Clear Left". :ouch:

BBK
18th May 2024, 11:46
This happened at MCO? It has the Runway Status Light System I seem to recall. Wouldn’t that have been activated?

OldnGrounded
18th May 2024, 21:06
This happened at MCO? It has the Runway Status Light System I seem to recall. Wouldn’t that have been activated?

Don't know, but FlightAware, iFlight, etc. all say RWSL in operation.

MarkerInbound
20th May 2024, 18:02
Taxiway Y that Frontier was on doesn’t have Runway Entrance Lights. 18L does have Takeoff Hold lights.

Propellerhead
27th May 2024, 07:30
Yes I definitely do listen out for that sort of thing. But unfortunately at JFK they cross aircraft on a different frequency which makes it much more dangerous. And I also have a good look before crossing a runway! Why don’t US carriers seem to do that? At night time in can be very difficult to spot an aircraft on a runway - couple of lights in a sea of lights. Major accident waiting to happen.

smith
27th May 2024, 08:29

Call company, do paperwork?

Globaliser
30th May 2024, 11:00
Why does the airliner state they are returning to the gate?In a different incident (see https://www.pprune.org/accidents-close-calls/659535-another-runway-incursion-kdca.html), the AA crew's response suggests there may be something like a company requirement for an inspection following an RTO above 80 knots - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InebB0sl5vQ&t=38s