PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Survival in WA

ActiveLooker
14th May 2024, 21:47
Interesting reports coming out of the west. What will replace the B737? A220 program a failure and heard the accountable is in the sights of senior management. Network a basket case. Mass exodus to EK, Mineral Resource Air, Alliance, etc. All managers apparently have to reapply for positions to dampen accusations of nepotism. GM T&C been shot and awaiting deportation. Perhaps VA will thrive and be the new go to for WA.

Office Update
14th May 2024, 21:56
Ouch !

dr dre
14th May 2024, 22:02
Interesting reports coming out of the west. What will replace the B737?

The A321XLR. This has been known for a while.

A220 program a failure and heard the accountable is in the sights of senior management.

The A220 hasn’t been scheduled to fly over west anytime yet.

Network a basket case. Mass exodus to EK, Mineral Resource Air, Alliance, etc.

Well that’s what happens when the market dictates the flow of pilots. NAA isn’t seen as career destination so pilots will move to other carriers when they can for a more defined career. A lot jumping ship are T&C staff too apparently.

Brakerider
14th May 2024, 22:23
No doubt QF will attempt to recover the exodus with a fresh batch of QGPA Cadets. Hopefully mining execs and auditors are sharp enough to take notice, and set appropriate minimum requirements to operate these charters.

ActiveLooker
14th May 2024, 22:24
[QUOTE=dr dre;11655280]The A321XLR. This has been known for a while.

So roughly a quarter of the B737 fleet in A321s will cover the flying?

The A220 hasn’t been scheduled to fly over west anytime yet.

Needs pilots to fly.

Network will last 12 months the way they are going. Wish all the guys well and hope they bail ASAP before they are out of work.

dr dre
14th May 2024, 22:27

It’ll be a one for one swap progressively over the next 10 years. The maggot still has a lot of life left in it.

morno
14th May 2024, 22:35

A quarter? If you’re referring to the small order of 321’s so far, keep in mind that the 737 wasn’t ordered in one hit either. They’ll likely have just as many if not more 321’s at the end of the 737’s life, they just aren’t doing it in one mass order.

nomess
14th May 2024, 22:41
Amazing how just sorting out a decent pay deal, would change the entire organisation. But no, keep dragging the place through the mud to save a few bucks. Disgraceful.

Too late anyway regardless of the deal. The place is cooked.

framer
14th May 2024, 23:57
I think QF used Network as a test case to gather info. They now have that info which will inform their methods of negotiation in 2024/25.
Having said that, I’ve been a hopeless optimist my entire life and can’t seem to shake it.

Zeta_Reticuli
15th May 2024, 01:43
No doubt QF will attempt to recover the exodus with a fresh batch of QGPA Cadets. Hopefully mining execs and auditors are sharp enough to take notice, and set appropriate minimum requirements to operate these charters.

Let them use cadets. They will wake up when they can't afford rent. They will to use Network as a jet hour building facility. Networks sole purpose is to build jet hours and leave. So I say Qantas should keep it going, to give every pilot in this country an opportunity to leave this country!
well done Qantas, always kicking your own goals.

KAPAC
15th May 2024, 02:12
How is Qantas perceived in Perth ? They about to go to court to argue a Perth pilot should be paid %30 less than a Sydney pilot for similar job and similar cost of living . They love to divide and conquer pilot groups with support of government it seems but start dividing the public and country and let’s see how long the government stay quite . Interesting times .

aussieflyboy
15th May 2024, 02:19
How is Qantas perceived in Perth ? They about to go to court to argue a Perth pilot should be paid %30 less than a Sydney pilot for similar job and similar cost of living . They love to divide and conquer pilot groups with support of government it seems but start dividing the public and country and let’s see how long the government stay quite . Interesting times .

Network Pilots are QantasLink Pilots not Qantas Pilots. A Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane based QantasLink 71 Tonne (A220) Jet Pilot is paid significantly less then what NAA Pilots were voting no too (how embarrassing for them).

Awol57
15th May 2024, 02:52
Network Pilots are QantasLink Pilots not Qantas Pilots. A Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane based QantasLink 71 Tonne (A220) Jet Pilot is paid significantly less then what NAA Pilots were voting no too (how embarrassing for them).
Which is technically correct, but do you think the bulk of the traveling public make that differentiation? Qantas looking aircraft, Qantas looking crew, is as good as Qantas operating the aircraft. Obviously this is just based on my interactions with my non aviation friends and family, but I see no reason they would be any different to the bulk of people.

soseg
15th May 2024, 02:58
The general public doesn’t have a clue. They aren’t aware of NAA, NJS, Sunstate, Eastern or even Alliance.

They don’t even realise a fuselage has Link painted on it in red. They assume it’s all one Qantas.

Gas Chamber
15th May 2024, 03:13

so as a pilot you want to see them earn less?
not more?
why?
why not lift everyone up. Lifting the lowest paid will help us all. Stop the divide and conquer.
are you impaired in some way?

Gas Chamber
15th May 2024, 03:17
And well done to all network pilots for taking a stand. Thank you
I hope you all find high paying jobs elsewhere or get the pay you deserve at network.
I know some management clowns are currently looking for work elsewhere
🎉

aussieflyboy
15th May 2024, 03:45
so as a pilot you want to see them earn less?
not more?
why?
why not lift everyone up. Lifting the lowest paid will help us all. Stop the divide and conquer.
are you impaired in some way?

Not at all. I’m simply pointing out the significant pay disparity between a QantasLink Jet Pilot and a Qantas Jet Pilot.

neville_nobody
15th May 2024, 04:45

Mines already do stipulate minimum experience but I guess it depends what you all agree on. It seem ludicrous that you need 1000's of hours to fly a PA-31 but can jump into a 180 seat jet with 250 total. Maybe the old requirements were so high just because they could be.

If network want to recruit at that level of experience they will never be short of crew.

1A_Please
15th May 2024, 05:18
It will be interesting to see what happens when the ACTU flexes its muscle granted by the changes given to them via the new IR laws. Qantas has been notorious in recent years for hiring new staff via subsidiary labour hire companies so they can stop new employees receiving legacy conditions. The new IR laws enable unions to join all employees from one wider corporation in a negotiation regardless of corporate structure. Qantas and the mining companies were the two businesses the unions were targeting when they forced the Labor Government to make these changes as part of a crackdown on labour hire companies.

Global Aviator
15th May 2024, 05:57
Mines already do stipulate minimum experience but I guess it depends what you all agree on. It seem ludicrous that you need 1000's of hours to fly a PA-31 but can jump into a 180 seat jet with 250 total. Maybe the old requirements were so high just because they could be.

If network want to recruit at that level of experience they will never be short of crew.

Yes it does seem ludicrous, however which job is more demanding? I’ve done both and I reckon the single pilot multi IFR is far more difficult than an FO on a 320.

I flew with plenty of 250 hour cadets in the 320 and never had an issue. Now if you tried to put them in a PA31 there would be smoking holes everywhere.

But I hate saying cadets as they ain’t cadets as they have paid all the way.

nomess
15th May 2024, 06:10
The cadets are bred for the A320 so will likely perform better to company SOPs vs old mate coming over from the IFR twin job, initially. They are generally fine as long as things stay on track, stuff can get messy when ‘things’ happen that have not been trained for. That’s when the prior experience of a GA pilot can be worth gold. When workload is high, they can perform.

You wouldn’t send these cadets out in a charter run in a 206. You wouldn’t get a look in on the Baron until 1000-1500 hours. But they can fly an Airbus at 250 hours, because that’s what they have been bred specifically for. It’s a pretty boring way to get into the profession, that’s just my view.

ShandywithSugar
15th May 2024, 11:06
The general public doesn’t have a clue. They aren’t aware of NAA, NJS, Sunstate, Eastern or even Alliance.

They don’t even realise a fuselage has Link painted on it in red. They assume it’s all one Qantas.

Hey AIPA or AFAP , I'd be happy to see some of our fee's be spent on a full page ad showing just this. Do it. Maybe also add in NS and his defection from representing the pilots to boning them.

Swept-Wing
15th May 2024, 11:22
Not to worry!!

A Senior Culture Program Manager will fix the problem!

https://qantas.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Qantas_Careers/job/Perth/Senior-Culture-Program-Manager_R97733?q=Culture

Zeta_Reticuli
15th May 2024, 11:36
Hey AIPA or AFAP , I'd be happy to see some of our fee's be spent on a full page ad showing just this. Do it. Maybe also add in NS and his defection from representing the pilots to boning them.

This!! How god damn hard is it for the union to get critical information that the public should know out to the masses and media?? The way I see it, is if the public are flying on a subsidary that is paying the staff peanuts then the ticket cost should represent that. Yet here we are paying legacy carrier ticket prices for subsidary flights where the staff can barely afford to pay their bills. For one this is a safety risk to the crew and passengers, should pilots really be at the controls while under severe financial stress due to greedy management??? The answer is no! The union has a duty to relay this information to the general public! The unions need to blitzkreig the media, and maybe AFR won't entertain the union, but there are other avenues like social media, tiktok, hell even the guardian, not that I support the garbage that they push, but they would love a good story about how the public is getting screwed again by Qantas! Time to put some damn effort in.

A320 Flyer
15th May 2024, 11:43
Not to worry!!

https://qantas.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Qantas_Careers/job/Perth/Senior-Culture-Program-Manager_R97733?q=Culture

Wow….. just wow….. if that isn’t a massive admission of the toxic organisation they’re running I don’t know what is

SOPS
15th May 2024, 11:54
Not to worry!!

What does that job description even mean?

aussieflyboy
15th May 2024, 12:02
Wow….. just wow….. if that isn’t a massive admission of the toxic organisation they’re running I don’t know what is

“As the Senior Culture Program Manager, you will be responsible for the design and delivery of the Network Aviation Flight Operations culture recovery program”

Someone mucked up enough to require a recovery program!

maggotdriver
15th May 2024, 23:02
So HR create the problem, now HR try and fix the problem… Simple really, get rid of who runs HR!

hotnhigh
15th May 2024, 23:12
What qantas is doing is reminiscent of the lead up to continentals effort with colgan air.
keep outsourcing until you hit rock bottom.
sadly qantas gets away with it and the general public is unaware.
Aviation journalists and also every union is lax in not highlighting this issue.
And where does it end? Perhaps when they get to 20 subsidiaries?
I’ve also wondered why the choose to continually attack the front line workers?
why don’t they have 20 subsidiaries for the management side of things?
Perhaps multiple qmets, MOC’s, ioc’s? Why not…..

Gas Chamber
15th May 2024, 23:56
What does that job description even mean?

it means try to get the pilots to shut up and work for peanuts. They just don’t get it.

IMPROVE THE ******* CONDITIONS IDIOTS