PDA

View Full Version : "Pull the plug!" Delta A321 disagrees with ground power cable - Seattle

pattern_is_full
14th May 2024, 02:07
(or something electrical....)

Probably only barely qualifies as a "close call," - but a little out of the ordinary. And a reminder that "some day, when you least expect it......"

A week old - Monday May 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSjZEWTqn3k

Capn Bloggs
14th May 2024, 03:51
Leaders of the free world. Unbelievable.

El Grifo
14th May 2024, 08:29
Standard Evac 2024 !
Pax all toting hand luggage.
Many stopping to video the event after egress !
Welcome to today's world !

TURIN
14th May 2024, 09:55
Those fixed ground power units have a big emergency stop button. Either no one thought to press it or it didn't work. Either way... Kinnell! 😱

alfaman
14th May 2024, 12:37
Standard Evac 2024 !
Pax all toting hand luggage.
Many stopping to video the event after egress !
Welcome to today's world !
Perhaps, since the aircraft is in the process of deplaning, it would take more time to put their baggage back, than take it... & passengers clinging to their cabin bags isn't a 2024 phenomena either.

Jonty
14th May 2024, 12:41
Everyone holding hand luggage in that video should be prosecuted for being a muppet.

172_driver
14th May 2024, 13:16
Everyone holding hand luggage in that video should be prosecuted for being a muppet.

I can see a scenario where passengers are already standing up with the backpack on their back or carry on bag in their hand. When the evacuation order comes it seems more reasonable to just go for it than try to stow it all away.

RatherBeFlying
14th May 2024, 15:12
Let's just be grateful that none of the milling pax got run over or sucked into an intake.

El Grifo
14th May 2024, 15:27
Perhaps, since the aircraft is in the process of deplaning, it would take more time to put their baggage back, than take it... & passengers clinging to their cabin bags isn't a 2024 phenomena

Put it back where may I ask ???
​​​​​​​Perhaps follow the rules and leave it onboard ?

Gne
14th May 2024, 16:12
Last time I checked the ICAO SARP for first response vehicle to the scene was 3 minutes - FAIL.
Bob Poole has it right - no longer able to claim leadership in aviation standards.
Gne

FUMR
14th May 2024, 16:15
Oh, here we go again! Time to sit down comfortably with my popcorn.

Tango and Cash
14th May 2024, 18:42
Do ground crew at SEA not have access to hand-held fire extinguishers, or are they not allowed to use them? Seems like a lack of action/urgency to do anything but wait for the fire department to arrive. From my observations as a lowly SLF (granted I have not been through Seattle in a while) most other airports have a plethora of red fire extinguishers on the ramp area--on tugs, on baggage tractors, mounted on building walls, etc. Maybe there were extinguishers but of the wrong type for electrical fires?

And I'm with 172_driver on the issue of pax taking bags with them in this situation--as the aircraft had already arrived at the gate, I bet half the aisle pax had already stood up and had bags in hand. Probably better to just take the bag along than try to find a place to go with it that wouldn't make the situation worse.

El Grifo
14th May 2024, 19:19
And I'm with 172_driver on the issue of pax taking bags with them in this situation--as the aircraft had already arrived at the gate, I bet half the aisle pax had already stood up and had bags in hand. Probably better to just take the bag along than try to find a place to go with it that wouldn't make the situation worse.

Yep !! Not taking the location into account.

In my part of the world, pax are advised to remain seated until steps or airbridge are in place and doors opened.
They are then asked to depart in order of row.
Compliance is generally very good !

tdracer
14th May 2024, 21:49

In my part of the world, pax are advised to remain seated until steps or airbridge are in place and doors opened.
As near as I can tell (and I've flow into SEA many times), SOP is 'stop', shutdown the engines, then the seat belt sign goes off and people start standing up and getting their bags ready to deplane.
I don't remember ever having the seatbelt sign stay on and/or verbal instructions to stay seated until the loading bridge was positioned.

El Grifo
14th May 2024, 22:19
As near as I can tell (and I've flow into SEA many times), SOP is 'stop', shutdown the engines, then the seat belt sign goes off and people start standing up and getting their bags ready to deplane.
I don't remember ever having the seatbelt sign stay on and/or verbal instructions to stay seated until the loading bridge was positioned.

Seem to remember that at MIA, LAX and SFO !
Bit of a scrum.
Usually wait till it is all over to deplane !
Bugger at immigration though .

MechEngr
15th May 2024, 02:15
The only carry-on that appeared to be a struggle was a child. Other than that the queue for getting down the slides remained at capacity.

Electrically fed fires are a problem to extinguish as they maintain a continuous ignition source and can ignite a metal fire which can readily react with water to produce hydrogen explosions.

Bidule
15th May 2024, 05:47

It is not what I notice when flying around your area (ACE). It was a bit better just after the pandemic, but now everything back to "usual business", unfortunately.
Also, it depends on the airline.

alfaman
15th May 2024, 08:02
Put it back where may I ask ???
Perhaps follow the rules and leave it onboard ?
Obviously back in the overhead locker or under the seat - that's likely to cause more issues blocking access to those behind, than just leaving with it.

Less Hair
15th May 2024, 08:11
Why did it take so long to react? Ground crew should call Ground or the fire brigade right away? So many apron vehicles drove by, they must have comms and have seen those sparks if the camera does?

Sue Vêtements
15th May 2024, 12:17
Interesting points about the luggage, though in fairness carrying it during the exit doesn't seem to slow people down much - even the full on roller bags. I'm more surprised that wearing a backpack on the slide doesn't create difficulties

What's more worrying though is the initial movement at the overwing exit where people just sseem to stroll aimlessly towards the wingtip rather then make the 90 degree turn to get on the slide. I wonder if that's a common problem and maybe an inflatable fence could stop it

Good to see the top hinged exit doors in action though. I always wondered why they used to suggest you remove the plug, bring it INTO the cabin. I understand it's a plug so "bigger" than the hole, but it always seemd like it would be a significant impediment to a quick egress

Capn Bloggs
15th May 2024, 12:40
I always wondered why they used to suggest you remove the plug, bring it INTO the cabin. I understand it's a plug so "bigger" than the hole, but it always seemd like it would be a significant impediment to a quick egress
Turn it on it's side and chuck it out. Of course it'll fit, it's only a plug if you fit it like a plug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCYIfrjHIKA
​​​​​​​ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCYIfrjHIKA)

Capn Bloggs
15th May 2024, 12:53
Dont know if pax’s seating at these exits are briefed on this specifically.
Been a legal requirement in Australia for years.

Sue Vêtements
15th May 2024, 12:56
Turn it on it's side and chuck it out. Of course it'll fit, it's only a plug if you fit it like a plug

Understood, but that's what makes it even more strange that they didn't make this the standard procedure. I went to one safety lecture where they said people pulled the plug and passed it to the row behind them, who then passed it to the row behing them etc. With the result that there were a lot more fatalities than necessary because people were waiting to pass the plug backwards

A related issue: Why are manhole covers round?

BoeingDriver99
15th May 2024, 14:13
Anyone got a link to the ATC audio? I bet it’s hilarious. “Roll the trucks” & “Say again” times 10?

tdracer
15th May 2024, 17:30
Anyone got a link to the ATC audio? I bet it’s hilarious. “Roll the trucks” & “Say again” times 10?
I don't get any sound with the video (is that the case for everyone, or is it related to my computer?). But do we know who called for emergency services (pilot or ground), and when? If it was the flight deck, there may have been a significant lag between when the arcing started and when the flight deck realized what was going on and declared an emergency, asking for the fire crews.
In other words, condemning emergency services for their response time may be premature...

DaveReidUK
15th May 2024, 18:48
A related issue: Why are manhole covers round?

Because that shape makes it impossible for it to fall down its hole ?

pattern_is_full
15th May 2024, 21:54
I don't get any sound with the video (is that the case for everyone, or is it related to my computer?)....

No sound here either - the video is from a ramp surveillance camera.

Boeingdriver999
15th May 2024, 23:21
As much as we do appreciate your consistency tdracer; America can do wrong. Fair enough. How are you pleased that it's an Airbus?

However it's plugged into JFK/Mogadishu

Meanwhile in the 21st century, this an example of how not to do things.

In the meantime "roll the trucks full of excuses".

tdracer
15th May 2024, 23:23
No, I don't care it's not Boeing (although the press sure as hell would be all over it if it was).
I never said no one did anything wrong - just pointing out that, without knowing when Fire and Rescue was called, it's pretty early to criticize the Fire and Rescue response time.

Or does it make you happy this happened in your hometown?

El Grifo
15th May 2024, 23:29
Obviously back in the overhead locker or under the seat - that's likely to cause more issues blocking access to those behind, than just leaving with it.

Apologies, but my understanding was internationally "In the interests of safety, leave carry on luggage behind"
No idea if it is a decree or a law.
I carry my passport , documents and wallet on my person, incase such a situation should develop.
But hey, Old Skool !!

Uplinker
16th May 2024, 10:16
What worries me far more than the passengers, is the number of ramp workers who can be seen just milling around and doing nothing while this electrical arcing was going on. There's a guy near the nose and a guy and a small truck in front of the starboard wing, who just walk or drive away.

Either they did not see the problem - in which case why were they not being more observant ? - or they did see it and did nothing.

GPUs have red emergency STOP buttons, and I would like to hope that a ramp worker would be able to realise that electrical arcing, fire and black smoke was not normal, and hit the STOP button. Or at the very least; run up the steps and alert the flight deck.

SimonPaddo
16th May 2024, 10:35
Because that shape makes it impossible for it to fall down its hole ?

This was a question from a Google interview I believe, their answer was because manholes are round!

Capn Bloggs
16th May 2024, 11:28
Uplinker, precisely. Hence my "Leaders of the free world...unbelievable" jibe.

Sailvi767
16th May 2024, 19:44
What worries me far more than the passengers, is the number of ramp workers who can be seen just milling around and doing nothing while this electrical arcing was going on. There's a guy near the nose and a guy and a small truck in front of the starboard wing, who just walk or drive away.

Either they did not see the problem - in which case why were they not being more observant ? - or they did see it and did nothing.

GPUs have red emergency STOP buttons, and I would like to hope that a ramp worker would be able to realise that electrical arcing, fire and black smoke was not normal, and hit the STOP button. Or at the very least; run up the steps and alert the flight deck.

You are asking an awful lot from the average US ramp worker. Turnover at some airports is less than 90 days.

waito
16th May 2024, 20:38
OMG, this doesn't look positive.

let's see details on aviators herald

aeromech3
17th May 2024, 03:19
Interesting, did the cabin crew re-engaged the doors!
I should have thought the ground power was from a unit on the air-bridge and dolly, not a mobile diesel unit; there was a person running towards the bridge wheel truck unit.
The older single aisle aircraft I have worked on had a lanyard to be attached to an anchor on the wing top surface to guide pax from overwing exits (pre air slides) and then to slide down the TE flaps.
Pax on wing had watched flight US1549 evacuation or subsequent film.
Most airports in my days positioned a mobile fire extinguisher during engine starts.

aeromech3
17th May 2024, 09:40
My puzzles here: the 400Hz ground power connections have '2' short pins which complete a hold on circuit such that if the connection becomes loose the power through the standard pins is disconnected to prevent arcing.
The aircraft is very sensitive to accepting ground power, it must be clean and of very tight tolerance.
Aircraft are designed various ways to Not mix ground and aircraft power.
The ground power source also has safety and will not hold in otherwise.
Worn cable sockets or damaged rubber would be a possibility, as the aircraft is relatively young and aircraft pins not likely to be subject of abusive or weather.

EXDAC
17th May 2024, 11:13
My puzzles here: the 400v ground power connections have '2' short pins which complete a hold on circuit such that if the connection becomes loose the power through the standard pins is disconnected to prevent arcing.

Which aircraft use 400 V external power? Did you mean 400 Hz?

hunbet
17th May 2024, 11:30
My puzzles here: the 400v ground power connections have '2' short pins which complete a hold on circuit such that if the connection becomes loose the power through the standard pins is disconnected to prevent arcing..

I was involved in an incident like this years ago. The E and F pins were shorted together. The power stayed on and I had to yank the ground power cord off the aircraft. The cord continued arcing until the GPU was shutdown.

Uplinker
17th May 2024, 11:30
Far more likely that the GPU / Airbridge power cable was damaged in some way, by being run over for example.

The sense pins and conductors to enable the power to be fed might have been OK, but perhaps there was a deep gash in the cable which allowed two main conductors to arc.

Or possibly, the connector itself was damaged by being run over or trapped in some way, so the main pins, (sockets actually), might have been loose inside the connector and arcing together.

Either way, it's good revision for us all to remind ourselves where the emergency stop buttons are during our walk-arounds :ok:

MichaelKPIT
17th May 2024, 13:35
Interesting, did the cabin crew re-engaged the doors!

Yes they did. SOP is for doors to be disarmed on arrival (following cue from flight deck) crosschecked and confirmed by all-call. As the slide popped out immediately from that back right door it means it was certainly re-armed.

Peter Fanelli
17th May 2024, 15:35
Uplinker, precisely. Hence my "Leaders of the free world...unbelievable" jibe.
Those people working on the ramp are minimum wage workers.
I wouldn't expect too much from them.

alfaman
18th May 2024, 12:47
Apologies, but my understanding was internationally "In the interests of safety, leave carry on luggage behind"
No idea if it is a decree or a law.
I carry my passport , documents and wallet on my person, incase such a situation should develop.
But hey, Old Skool !!
As do I, & most people I know, but this was when the passengers were likely already prepared to exit the aircraft normally. Survival depends on applying the most sensible solution to the actual event, not rigid adherence to a particular rule when the context demands otherwise.

El Grifo
18th May 2024, 13:13
As do I, & most people I know, but this was when the passengers were likely already prepared to exit the aircraft normally. Survival depends on applying the most sensible solution to the actual event, not rigid adherence to a particular rule when the context demands otherwise.

Thank you for your insight alfaman !
As I said previously, my comments are based on my flying experiences in my home country, and others that I have visited, where pax are requested to remain seated until airbridge or steps are in position.
It this case, they cleary were on the move before either.
Different "customs" for different countries I guess !

safetypee
18th May 2024, 15:24
High flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth (1), And danced (2) the skies on laughter silvered wings
Sunward I've climbed (3), and joined the tumbling mirth (4)
Of sun-split clouds (5) and done a hundred things (6)
You have not dreamed of -
Wheeled and soared and swung (7)
High in the sunlit silence (8).
Hov'ring there (9)
I've chased the shouting wind (10) along and flung My eager craft through footless halls of air (11).
Up, up the long delirious (12), burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights (13) with easy grace, Where never lark, or even eagle (14) flew
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod The high untrespassed sanctity of space (15), Put out my hand (16), and touched the face of God. (from John Gillespie Magee Jr., "High Flight")

NAA SUPPLEMENT to "High Flight"

Flight crews must insure that all surly bonds have been slipped entirely before aircraft taxi or flight is attempted.
During periods of severe sky dancing, flight crew and passengers must keep seatbelts fastened. Flight crew should wear shoulder harnesses if provided.
3. Sunward climbs must not exceed the maximum permitted aircraft ceiling.
Passenger aircraft are prohibited from joining the tumbling mirth.
Pilots flying through sun-split clouds must comply with all applicable visual and instrument flight rules.
Do not perform these hundred things in front of Flight Operations Inspectors.
Wheeling, soaring, and swinging will not be accomplished simultaneously except by pilots in the flight simulator or in their own aircraft on their own time.
Be advised that sunlit silence will occur only when a major engine malfunction has occurred.
"Hov'ring there" will constitute a highly reliable signal that a flight emergency is imminent.
Forecasts of shouting winds are available from the local meteorological office. Encounters with unexpected shouting winds should be reported by pilots.
Pilots flinging eager craft through footless halls of air are reminded that they alone are responsible for maintaining separation from other eager craft.
Should any crew member or passenger experience delirium while in the burning blue, submit an irregularity report .
Wind swept heights will be topped by a minimum of 1,000 feet to prevent massive airsickness-bag use.
Aircraft engine ingestion of, or impact with, larks or eagles should be reported to the Authority and the appropriate aircraft maintenance facility.
Air Traffic Control (ATC) must issue all special clearances for treading the high untresspassed sanctity of space.
Pilots and passengers are reminded that opening doors or windows in order to touch the face of god may result in the loss of cabin.

OldLurker
19th May 2024, 12:40
High flight etcAnd no rolls.

bobbytables
20th May 2024, 05:05
Thank you for your insight alfaman !
As I said previously, my comments are based on my flying experiences in my home country, and others that I have visited, where pax are requested to remain seated until airbridge or steps are in position.
It this case, they cleary were on the move before either.
Different "customs" for different countries I guess !

I fail to see where customs or countries come into it. Let’s do a little thought experiment. You’re ambling down the aisle near the back, headed for the front exit door, fellow passengers ahead and behind, your backpack on and your wheelie case in hand. A sudden emergency develops. Over wing exits are opened and passengers in front of you start to clamber out to go down the slides.

Do you pause to stow your case and backpack somewhere, holding up passengers behind you as you do? Do you drop them at the exit, blocking egress for those following you? Or do you just bring them with you, as demonstrated in this video? Different circumstances call for different actions.

Capn Bloggs
20th May 2024, 05:22
Do you pause to stow your case and backpack somewhere,
Drop them on the normally now-empty seats/floor beside you (provided you have been courteous and waited for the pax ahead to get up and move first) and keep walking to the exit. You don't have to "stow" anything.
:ok:
​​​​​​​

chucko
23rd May 2024, 00:23

Live ATC feeds for KSEA have been down for several weeks. Don't know why.