PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Harrison

Sam Rutherford
9th Mar 2024, 08:37
Has a book coming out:

https://grubstreet.co.uk/product/solo2darwin/?fbclid=IwAR2TS40zbCCm00g8Uk09w1SXvcJ3gQEqPWpo3EGWT1-RepVpSutcpl0LV7E

That is all! :)

Flyingmac
11th Mar 2024, 15:44
Isn't Solo two a somewhat confusing title?

Jan Olieslagers
11th Mar 2024, 16:11
:)
To those in the know - including all of us, over here, of course - it is a cunning wink of the eye.
To others, it might well be an eye-opener, and that might well be the main intention.

If the content is as good as the title it will make good reading!

ShyTorque
11th Mar 2024, 16:14
Solo? As in, no-one else hiding in second seat? Now that IS something to write about. Well done to her.

Whopity
11th Mar 2024, 16:32
Well done. I recall giving her one of her very early flying lessons.

BEagle
27th Mar 2024, 09:07
Did Amanda eventually make it all the way to Darwin after the political difficutlies she faced in the Indian / Pakistani region in 2019?

megan
28th Mar 2024, 06:39
Not that I'm aware of BEagle, if she did the local press made no mention.

chevvron
28th Mar 2024, 15:13
Solo? As in, no-one else hiding in second seat? Now that IS something to write about. Well done to her.
What, like they did when cadets flying Air Cadet Vigilants were sent on 'ghost solos' for a period in the late '80s. An instructor had to go with them and could only intervene if the engine quit.(Well it was an SLMG)

Fourwings
24th May 2024, 15:22
Despite so much bluster and public speaking about this ‘adventure’ battling the weather and flying through mountains etc it all ended up rather miserably and less than a quarter of the way to the goal. Good for her in having a go but perhaps a little better choice of aeroplane with a well prepared engine might have proved more successful … why did it fail twice after only a short way into the trip ? OK Tracy had some elements of ‘assistance’ maybe from the front cockpit … but she at least got there. Sorry to be a damp squib but I don’t think it really deserves a book and a film !

Thud105
24th May 2024, 19:45
Tracy's account of her flight had some 'untruths' - and that's not un-trivial. Does Amanda's?

Fourwings
25th May 2024, 20:09
Tracy's account of her flight had some 'untruths' - and that's not un-trivial. Does Amanda's?

Not really referring to truths or untruths … just the fact that the ‘Solo2Darwin’ was not exactly a success (for several reasons) as it hardly got beyond the Mediterranean and is not worthy of a book or a film or all the ‘talks’ to various small groups of hangers on. It was also largely financed by Crowd Funding whereby lots of well meaning people contributed towards expenses …. why ? The whole thing just smacks of an ego trip that failed miserably. Perhaps when I have read the book I will form a different view ?

Sam Rutherford
26th May 2024, 10:05
Despite so much bluster and public speaking about this ‘adventure’ battling the weather and flying through mountains etc it all ended up rather miserably and less than a quarter of the way to the goal. Good for her in having a go but perhaps a little better choice of aeroplane with a well prepared engine might have proved more successful … why did it fail twice after only a short way into the trip ? OK Tracy had some elements of ‘assistance’ maybe from the front cockpit … but she at least got there. Sorry to be a damp squib but I don’t think it really deserves a book and a film !

Apart from celebrating attempts as much as successes (a society issue), the only way to find out if a book and film are justified is to read/watch them!

caroberts
30th May 2024, 07:21
Not really referring to truths or untruths … just the fact that the ‘Solo2Darwin’ was not exactly a success (for several reasons) as it hardly got beyond the Mediterranean and is not worthy of a book or a film or all the ‘talks’ to various small groups of hangers on. It was also largely financed by Crowd Funding whereby lots of well meaning people contributed towards expenses …. why ? The whole thing just smacks of an ego trip that failed miserably. Perhaps when I have read the book I will form a different view ?
I'm not sure why you would object to individuals contributing their own money to supporting the lifelong dream endeavour of a person that they admire and would like to see succeed. If you knew Amanda you would know that your comment about an ego trip is way off the mark and just cruel. Many can get on an airliner and get to Australia, but it is an immense and dangerous challenge to do so in a 1930's open cockpit biplane on limited funds, with difficulties on multiple levels, and the attempt should be applauded.

Fourwings
30th May 2024, 10:28
I seem to have stirred up a couple of supporters with my view - for which I am sorry. But the fact remains that there has been just too much self generated publicity (within a small world of flyers) that gives the impression of how much of a risky adventure this failed attempt was. Lots of others have done the trip successfully and on their own or made similar long distance flights - and many of them have done it fairly quietly without the need for public speaking, books, film documentaries etc. (maybe they were all men of course).

They were successful primarily because they prepared their aeroplanes well before departure and left with a good knowledge of how to deal with mechanical problems if they occurred (which were surely inevitable) - neither of these requirements were at the top of Amanda’s list. I would also very much question the “lifelong” interest and desire to follow in the footsteps of Amy Johnson which perhaps developed somewhat later in life than we are led to believe.

Sorry but I am just not convinced as much as some of you … and I do know something about the ‘build up’ to the flight by ‘Captain’ Amanda, “the World leading adventure pilot” ! But as I said in previous post - good for her in having a go.

pulse1
30th May 2024, 11:38
I knew Amanda when she was based at Compton Abbass. She flew pleasure flights in the Tiger Moth. She was one of these ladies I've met who are passionate about flying Tigers. I knew one who struggled to learn to fly in one and refused to listen to those of us who tried to persuade her to learn first in Cessna 152 and then come back to the Tiger. She eventually made it and went on flying one well into her 80's.

I believe that Amanda suffered considerably from Tracy's coincidental (mis)adventures. It made it much more difficult to find sponsorship and this eventually delayed her attempt.