PDA

View Full Version : Application Processing Times & Gaps in Employment History

Beaker_
28th Nov 2023, 19:53
I'm wondering a couple of things, as a very general question and not aimed at any specific employer if anyone can help:

Firstly, how long can someone expect applications to be processed from the initial submission, then onto interview, assessments etc? Is it usually days, weeks, months? I have a feeling this might be a "how long is a bit of string" question, but I figure if I don't ask, I won't know :)

Onto the second thing, are gaps in employment history normally an issue, specifically in reference to obtaining an airside pass? Or is it generally okay as long as you haven't been up to no good or disappearing to dodgy countries etc?

Many thanks!

JoeDarke
1st Dec 2023, 14:56
I'm not in the UK, but gaps in employment was never an issue for me with the background check. Here, the form they provide you asks for someone who can verify what you did in the stated period. I was fortunate enough to live home, so I put the number of a parent and although they seemingly never contacted them, I think having the option to was good enough.

VariablePitchP
1st Dec 2023, 14:59
I'm wondering a couple of things, as a very general question and not aimed at any specific employer if anyone can help:

Firstly, how long can someone expect applications to be processed from the initial submission, then onto interview, assessments etc? Is it usually days, weeks, months? I have a feeling this might be a "how long is a bit of string" question, but I figure if I don't ask, I won't know :)

Onto the second thing, are gaps in employment history normally an issue, specifically in reference to obtaining an airside pass? Or is it generally okay as long as you haven't been up to no good or disappearing to dodgy countries etc?

Many thanks!

Most people have a few months notice anyway so it’s never that rapid, that answer is how long is a piece of string.

Employment gaps though, 28 days max. Go over that it’s an absolute pain the arse to get it covered. Try and avoid these gaps if you can.

Redmo
1st Dec 2023, 17:01
I wouldn't say it's a massive pain in the arse. I had some gaps post COVID, I just had to provide someone who could vouch for where I was in that period. Trying to contact old employers for references was more of a pain honestly

Beaker_
2nd Dec 2023, 06:50
Excellent, thank you very much!