PDA

View Full Version : LGW Eating suggestions

Asturias56
3rd Sep 2023, 08:14
we're overnighting at the Premier Inn at the N Terminal in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions as to places to eat ? Or is it best to arrive as late as possible and go to bed?

It's a long time since we actually stayed at/near LGW

Capt Scribble
3rd Sep 2023, 09:01
Weatherspoons in Horley before you park up.

Asturias56
3rd Sep 2023, 10:33
Weatherspoons in Horley before you park up.

Going by train!

ZFT
3rd Sep 2023, 10:44
There's enought places in Crawley easily accessible via train.

happybiker
5th Sep 2023, 14:27
You can walk from the North Terminal to the Six Bells, Church Road Horley.

davidjohnson6
5th Sep 2023, 14:42
If you walk about 10 mins from East Croydon station, there's plenty of restaurants (cheap and expensive) with good food. Or if you want to eat in your bedroom, there are good supermarkets near the train station in both Croydon and Horley. Or as mentioned, try Crawley.

There is a small and expensive (think airport prices) M&S next to Gatwick train station in the south terminal... but it's really just for people landing at Gatwick in the evening who realise they have no food in the fridge at home and will pay any price for the privilege of a sandwich.

The roads around Gatwick, particularly after dark, are not pedestrian friendly at all. I would not want to walk between the airport terminals and Horley or anywhere else.

c52
5th Sep 2023, 17:39
It's fine (street-lighting, waymarked for cyclists) to walk from the S Terminal to Horley but you're distinctly further away from anywhere to eat.

Asturias56
6th Sep 2023, 07:55
Thanks folks - I shall report back!

Haven't a clue
6th Sep 2023, 09:13
I use Premier Inns a lot. The food is usually ok (but like anywhere there is the occasional exception) and there's a restaurant in the North Terminal hotel. Menu and deals on their website.

Asturias56
6th Sep 2023, 16:24
Yes - we're big PI customers - Snr A gets a discount from some job she had years ago but the food is a bit average

wowzz
7th Sep 2023, 07:47
The food in the PI is perfectly acceptable as a one-off. Obviously it's not Michelin standard, but you won't go hungry. I personally wouldn't go to the bother of leaving the airport grounds to eat elsewhere
As an aside, depending on your departure time, the PI buffet breakfast is far better value than anything you will find in the terminals.

Asturias56
7th Sep 2023, 13:18
Yes - I've suffered LGW "breakfasts" as well

Andy_S
7th Sep 2023, 15:23
we're overnighting at the Premier Inn at the N Terminal in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions as to places to eat ? Or is it best to arrive as late as possible and go to bed?

It's a long time since we actually stayed at/near LGW

I've eaten at the North Terminal Premier Inn itself while staying there overnight. It's probably not quite as cheap as places outside the airport but there's a decent enough menu and the food itself is perfectly fine. If you prefer convenience rather than the hassle of heading out to look for a place to eat then it's a good choice. I guess once you consider the cost of travel to / from Crawley or wherever there's probably not much in it cost-wise.

The restaurant does get busy, though, so I would book a table as soon as you check in.