PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet Madness

osuldavid
2nd Jun 2023, 18:35
Non-Type Rated Co-Pilots will complete a full self-funded* A320 Type Rating with one of our approved training organisations at the start of easyJet employment.

*Sponsorship scheme available for NTR experienced pilots who will be based in the UK. More detail will be provided at assessment centre.

Requirements of the Role
For your application to be progressed, you must have:- Operated on aircraft above 10 Tonnes MTOW within the last 12 months (at point of application).

- A minimum of 1,500 hours on aircraft above 10 Tonnes MTOW (by easyJet induction date).

Mental!!

3Greens
2nd Jun 2023, 20:00
Non-Type Rated Co-Pilots will complete a full self-funded* A320 Type Rating with one of our approved training organisations at the start of easyJet employment.

*Sponsorship scheme available for NTR experienced pilots who will be based in the UK. More detail will be provided at assessment centre.

Requirements of the Role
For your application to be progressed, you must have:- Operated on aircraft above 10 Tonnes MTOW within the last 12 months (at point of application).

- A minimum of 1,500 hours on aircraft above 10 Tonnes MTOW (by easyJet induction date).

Mental!!

what’s mental is that people are applying for it. If no one applied then they’d pay for the rating. It’s a market economy

Superpilot
3rd Jun 2023, 08:53
EasyJet is not a good financial prospect for experienced FOs coming from the outside. The pay is atrocious and to think you'll likely have a loan to manage as well.

VariablePitchP
3rd Jun 2023, 09:08

Requirements of the Role

Mental!!

As others have said, pretty simple solution to paying for a type rating. Don’t.

Bradley Hardacre
3rd Jun 2023, 09:34
Why on earth would you pay for a TR if you have descent hours in this current Pilot market 😂

I haven't logged my hours in that way, do they need climb and cruise hours as well or just descent?

Nikker
3rd Jun 2023, 10:19
I haven't logged my hours in that way, do they need climb and cruise hours as well or just descent?
Descent hours requirement is not as bad as requirement to have cross-country hours and you are at a company flying domestically only :/

On the topic: like others said if they wouldn't received applications for this BS they wouldn't do it

mrguy
3rd Jun 2023, 10:41
Interesting that they will sponsor the type rating for UK based people, is there a shortage of qualified FOs in the UK market at the moment?

Jonty
3rd Jun 2023, 11:28
Interesting that they will sponsor the type rating for UK based people, is there a shortage of qualified FOs in the UK market at the moment?

I think Jet2 are taking quite a few from EasyJet at the moment.

737 Jockey
3rd Jun 2023, 12:46

probably a shortage of U.K. licence plus right to live & work in the U.K. Pilots, coupled to BA, Virgin and Jet2 (Airbus) hoovering up qualified FO’s.

Speed_Trim_Fail
3rd Jun 2023, 16:45

There is currently a tightening in the supply of UK CAA licence holders with CS25 time and the right to live and work in the UK; BA, BAEF, BACF, VS, EZY, RYR, DHL, WAUK, TUI, Jet2, Wizz UK, Eastern, Logan, Titan and other regional and executive carriers have all been recruiting and the market is a fairly buoyant place- for now. As ever it is cyclical and what everyone is doing is finding a seat to be sat on when the music stops playing again.

Jonty
4th Jun 2023, 07:22
This has to be the only upside of Brexit!

Daidaidionsyus
5th Jun 2023, 16:24
Flights are being cancelled daily due to lack of FO's in EZJ. They have cocked up the numbers yet again and over estimated the ease with which French cadet meat can be herded onto the line.

A320LGW
6th Jun 2023, 00:33
Flights are being cancelled daily due to lack of FO's in EZJ. They have cocked up the numbers yet again and over estimated the ease with which French cadet meat can be herded onto the line.
If they didn't have nonsense filled assessment days run by "talent managers", and didnt run discriminative anti male type rating schemes all those years, then they may not be in their current predicament

sangiovese.
6th Jun 2023, 17:57
If they didn't have nonsense filled assessment days run by "talent managers", and didnt run discriminative anti male type rating schemes all those years, then they may not be in their current predicament
That goes for other UK airlines too.

Oasis
7th Jun 2023, 08:06
Can you elaborate on the anti-male stuff?

A320LGW
7th Jun 2023, 09:57
Can you elaborate on the anti-male stuff?
Amy Johnson flying programme open exclusively to females

R T Jones
7th Jun 2023, 10:33
I can confirm the Amy Johnson course is open to both males and females. I have flown with a male first officer who joined easyjet via it.

midnight cruiser
7th Jun 2023, 10:39
Can you elaborate on the anti-male stuff? And take a look at the cadet graduation pictures - how do they compare to the percentage of applicants who are "pale males"?!

I withdrew from joining a DEC course some years ago, partly because I encountered a sort of passive aggressive arrogance when I had to deal with HR (and strange how quiet they are on their gender balance in other departments)! ... and partly because I couldn't stomach forking out for a very expensive type rating (out of my net pay, what's more). And the leadership did not impress me - Dame Sharon White of John Lewis reminds me of Dame Carolyn.

Jones, yes that is now correct, but for a long time, it was barred to male applicants.

Uplinker
7th Jun 2023, 10:56
About 4 years ago at a UK easyJet recruitment day; I was type rated, with about 14 years and 8,000 hours on Airbus A320/321/330, and current on the '330 at the time. I was only offered a Milan base, and they said I would have to give easyJet £8,000 out of my pay for my A320/321 revalidation..........

.........No thanks !!

Oasis
7th Jun 2023, 12:20
I can confirm the Amy Johnson course is open to both males and females. I have flown with a male first officer who joined easyjet via it.

Was "he" a male when "he" applied?

737 Jockey
7th Jun 2023, 15:20
Things are gonna get interesting in the U.K. when Jet2 start receiving their A321’s in significant numbers. Could be very lucrative for salary/bonus negotiations.

ToCatLady
7th Jun 2023, 15:29
Things are gonna get interesting in the U.K. when Jet2 start receiving their A321’s in significant numbers. Could be very lucrative for salary/bonus negotiations.

Jet2 have EZY in their sights. They’ve removed TUI as the main package holiday threat and now seem to be after EZY. The Liverpool base opening is the first sign of this and plenty more to come.
They’re already taking a lot of their Pilot’s (trainers?) so I wonder will we see J2 push into LGW?

A320LGW
7th Jun 2023, 17:50
It was open to both genders but to qualify for the sponsored type rating you had to be female.

Regarding the arrogance bit, i would tend to agree. How can you hire co pilots with 1000 hrs and ask them to pay for their type rating?

tubby linton
7th Jun 2023, 19:19
The difference between J2 and Ezy is that J2 have adults running the company whereas Ezy is run by former cabin crew who have no idea about the operational side of running an airline. In my time at the Orange mob the pilot side of the management seemed to be non-existent with everything delegated to managers who seemed to terrify most of the employees.

R T Jones
7th Jun 2023, 19:52
It was open to both genders but to qualify for the sponsored type rating you had to be female.

Surely this would come under discrimination… i do agree it is madness in the hiring climate we currently have to be charging for type ratings to anyone let alone experienced first officers. I know for a fact we are losing left and right seat pilots to J2 and EK. Plus the usual lot to virgin and BA. From what I’ve seen so far this summer it looks as if numbers are tight especially so in the right seat. Not the chaos of last summer, but we aren’t yet at peak flying.

BeanFlyer
8th Jun 2023, 09:34

That just isn’t true. Both genders had to pay for an MCC only, with the TR being paid by EasyJet.

You posted incorrect information on the Amy Johnson thread in 2019 including about this.

Boeingdriver999
8th Jun 2023, 12:43
It’s called “positive discrimination”. Which is discrimination. What’s much more interesting is what happened to the poster girl.

Also easyJet don’t get the numbers wrong; this is how they run the airline. It’s a cyclical thing and has been occurring roughly very three years since it’s inception. It won’t change because they don’t want it change.

CW247
8th Jun 2023, 16:38
Well at least they're trying to add a bit of class back into aviation after you lot and O' Leary done away with it
(even if it is of the Northern variety :p)

kendrick47247
8th Jun 2023, 22:26
That just isn’t true. Both genders had to pay for an MCC only, with the TR being paid by EasyJet.

You posted incorrect information on the Amy Johnson thread in 2019 including about this.

Good on you for calling this out.

At least a stopped clock is correct twice a day. A320LGW can never be accused of such a high hit rate

AIMINGHIGH123
9th Jun 2023, 07:07
Let’s have a reference shall we

https://careers.easyjet.com/pilots/amy-johnson-initiative/

hunterboy
9th Jun 2023, 09:03
So what did happen to the poster girl?

Chauderon
9th Jun 2023, 20:35
There is an issue here of an airline appearing to promote diversity, whilst for many years recruiting school leavers via CTC / L3 with the family means to pay 100K+ for their training. How socially and economically diverse is the group of young pilots who have the family backing to pay this?

Brexoff
9th Jun 2023, 23:03
There is an issue here of an airline appearing to promote diversity, whilst for many years recruiting school leavers via CTC / L3 with the family means to pay 100K+ for their training. How socially and economically diverse is the group of young pilots who have the family backing to pay this?

Companies only care about diversity you can see: sex, race, age etc

Doesn’t matter whether your parents are millionaires or from a council estate. Once you have a uniform on there’s no telling your background so why bother increasing diversity that can’t be virtue signalled ?

Whenever you see a group photo of new starter pilots on social media being promoted (usually 6-8 white males) someone always comments “it would be nice to see more females” or “it would be nice to see more people of colour”. No one ever comments “They all look rich, it would be nice to see someone from a council estate in Barnsley” because that can’t be determined from a photo and therefore the airline can’t receive negative comments

A320LGW
12th Jun 2023, 07:10
Kendrick I take it you are still salty from my light hearted comment on the virgin thread about a year ago .. do move on, life is too short my dear friend

As for the link, there is nothing on the link regarding payment so it neither proves nor disproves anything

Elwoodblues
12th Jun 2023, 19:05
Does anyone have any information on what the sponsorship scheme is for NTR UK pilots. Cant imagine there will be many experienced pilots willing to pay for type ratings.

Journey Man
13th Jun 2023, 04:25
Simply put, telling people not to go for self-sponsored ratings does not work.

I was the fool who followed that advice back in the early 2000s when the bar was set at 500 multi. Off I went to “do things the right way” and build up 500 hours of multi, and in the interim the industry became almost exclusively self sponsored. I saw the next twenty years of my career involve a hard slog to get back on economic parity with my peers, some who are close friends, who self-sponsored. I’ve never paid for a rating in my career, but would have had a much easier ride if I did.

It’s akin to telling a drowning man to let go of a piece of string as it’s not strong enough to hold their weight. You can shout, “wait for a rope!” They’re still going to grab it.

Those inside the industry need to fight equally as hard to put down self-sponsored ratings. Hire talent, not just the wallet. It’s in all of our interests to do so, not just the young wannabes who don’t have many options.

A320LGW
13th Jun 2023, 05:35
I fully agree about self sponsored ratings. I regularly see people brag on linkedin that they are doing things "the right way" and not paying for a rating (pay2fly as they call it). They often fly things such as DA42s for some small surveying op or similar.

Whilst noble in their intentions, I cannot help but think that in 3 yrs a person who paid at RYR or another airline is eligible to apply for Emirates, whilst their options in 3yrs will pretty much be similar to whatever it is they are doing right now. That income difference is the type rating money paid back ... has it not occurred to them??

AIMINGHIGH123
13th Jun 2023, 07:18
I fully agree about self sponsored ratings. I regularly see people brag on linkedin that they are doing things "the right way" and not paying for a rating (pay2fly as they call it). They often fly things such as DA42s for some small surveying op or similar.

Whilst noble in their intentions, I cannot help but think that in 3 yrs a person who paid at RYR or another airline is eligible to apply for Emirates, whilst their options in 3yrs will pretty much be similar to whatever it is they are doing right now. That income difference is the type rating money paid back ... has it not occurred to them??

Yep and EZY and RYR know this. I was the same went against paying for TR which I hadn’t done until COVID. Pretty much everyone I know who paid for a TR be if EZY,RYR, Blue Air plus others have earnt at least £100k more than me compared to the route I took. Some maybe pushing £500k more in the bank (or enjoyed) than me over the same time scale.

Sick
13th Jun 2023, 10:11
I'd agree. .. for a first job. But easyJet is one of the few who demand that experienced DEPs and even captains must pay for the rating.

Lepo
13th Jun 2023, 10:52
The problem of self sponsored type rating as the "best" possibility for a first job was a monster created by pilots who wanted to fast track to an airline job without going through the "hassle" of hour building. Some airlines wisely realized people were willing to pay for this and started offering this program and freed themselves the responsibility of financing training for their own pilots, which is the rule in most places worldwide.

Now this monster is too big and no one knows how to defeat it, as you can see from posts above. Those who decide to follow the traditional career path of hour building flying small airplanes and/or regional airlines get behind financially compared to those who pay for a type rating right out of flight school and start flying a B737/A320 as their first job.

I honestly don't know how this can be solved since saying "don't pay for it" does not work. People are willing to pay for it. Only a change in regulations would force airlines to pay for the training of their own pilots.

A320LGW
13th Jun 2023, 12:19
I think the people who'll bang on the most about the uselessness of trying to do it "the right way" are those that initially tried to but got bitten very badly.

I include myself on that list, I went for a fully funded first job with a regional op that was less than financially stable (but appeared to be due to the 2019 travel boom). I'd barely started when Covid quickly saw to it that I would be unemployed for the following 3 yrs and my company would cease to exist. Seems Aiming is another victim of "doing it the right way"..

Where did I end up after it all? Back at square 1 on a cadet course with colleagues who were nowhere near even starting their ATPL course at the time I graduated from mine.

My original ATPL colleagues who went the route I have now gone but did it right after we graduated are currently filling in applications for Emirates and Etihad. Meanwhile I'm playing catchup... the few hrs I did build at the defunct airline aren't even worth it from an employment perspective for those jobs so I'm restarting from scratch.

As a side note, is it not true that paid type ratings have been around for a very long time? .. i understand people paid BMI in the 80s for their first type rating, a few of whom now occupy a LHS at BA?

roll_over
13th Jun 2023, 12:36
I think the people who'll bang on the most about the uselessness of trying to do it "the right way" are those that initially tried to but got bitten very badly.

I include myself on that list, I went for a fully funded first job with a regional op that was less than financially stable (but appeared to be due to the 2019 travel boom). I'd barely started when Covid quickly saw to it that I would be unemployed for the following 3 yrs and my company would cease to exist. Seems Aiming is another victim of "doing it the right way"..

Where did I end up after it all? Back at square 1 on a cadet course with colleagues who were nowhere near even starting their ATPL course at the time I graduated from mine.

My original ATPL colleagues who went the route I have now gone but did it right after we graduated are currently filling in applications for Emirates and Etihad. Meanwhile I'm playing catchup... the few hrs I did build at the defunct airline aren't even worth it from an employment perspective for those jobs so I'm restarting from scratch.

As a side note, is it not true that paid type ratings have been around for a very long time? .. i understand people paid BMI in the 80s for their first type rating, a few of whom now occupy a LHS at BA?

It’s a sad state of the industry, I’m much further on than yourself and was lucky enough to get onto a sponsored scheme years ago but to be honest being a pilot I don’t feel like I have viable career going forward or a ‘real’ job compared to people in other industries, you are constantly walking a tightrope with very few options should you fall off. The job is good for the ‘gram though.

kendrick47247
13th Jun 2023, 21:51
Kendrick I take it you are still salty from my light hearted comment on the virgin thread about a year ago .. do move on, life is too short my dear friend

As for the link, there is nothing on the link regarding payment so it neither proves nor disproves anything

No idea what you’re referring to, but all I see is you posting ill-informed dross all over this forum.

Please do not present yourself as some sort of elder statesman or bastion of knowledge, when you’re only just into the RHS of a 737

DriverJake
15th Jun 2023, 09:27
I applied but ticked the box (disagree with paying for TR £22k upfront costs). They accepted the application and put me through to the psychometric tests. I passed them and then receive a mail..asking if I was willing to pay for the TR. I reiterated “NO”. That’s the end of that then.

DO NOT PAY TO FLY!!

CW247
15th Jun 2023, 09:51
You're digging your own grave. It's 22K. Money you will lose anyway chasing a Turboprop or worse Air Taxi job.

BoeingDriver99
15th Jun 2023, 10:41
Reapply and put your assigned gender down as female and you will be accepted.

Do you think I’m joking? Try it and come back on here.

DriverJake
15th Jun 2023, 12:57
You're digging your own grave. It's 22K. Money you will lose anyway chasing a Turboprop or worse Air Taxi job.

Seriously? Don’t make assumptions. I already have a job that has around the same basic as Easy. I’d just like to get into an airline and be UK based and am not willing to pay for a TR.

DriverJake
15th Jun 2023, 12:58
Reapply and put your assigned gender down as female and you will be accepted.

Do you think I’m joking? Try it and come back on here.

So, you’re saying that I won’t have to pay for TR if I’m female?

Boeingdriver999
15th Jun 2023, 18:51
Try a few rereads of what I posted and then maybe engage the brain for a few moments.

DriverJake
15th Jun 2023, 20:03
Try a few rereads of what I posted and then maybe engage the brain for a few moments.

Well, aren’t you sweetness and light! Why so bitter?

My brain is perfectly engaged thanks. Why not go mad and just explain what you’re getting at???

VariablePitchP
15th Jun 2023, 20:43
I applied but ticked the box (disagree with paying for TR £22k upfront costs). They accepted the application and put me through to the psychometric tests. I passed them and then receive a mail..asking if I was willing to pay for the TR. I reiterated “NO”. That’s the end of that then.

DO NOT PAY TO FLY!!

Hope you didn’t pay for any of your training at any point from hour zero or you’d be looking a tad hypocritical at this point.

Uplinker
16th Jun 2023, 01:17
Yeah. The moral high-ground suggests not paying for any of your training or type ratings.

And you would be right - in an ethical context.

But the World has changed. There are low cost airlines now, and even the old guard, legacy airline passengers are saying "hang on......why are we paying £259 when we could pay £59 to another airline to fly to the same city? (Let's face it; some of the LOCOs do a much better and more efficient job than some of the legacy folks. Not saying it's right, but they do) ......The genie is out of the bottle and cannot be put back in.

So......do the maths. OK, it might take up to £125k to get into the RHS of a B737 or A320 in an airline, but how long would it take to repay that from an airline pilot employment position, versus flying around in a C172 or a C406 for years and years and hoping to land an airline job with a CPL?

I don't agree with it either - and, as a very experienced and type rated pilot, I rejected easyJet's "offer" of a non UK base and paying them £8,000 to revalidate my lapsed Airbus A320 rating; but if you are a cadet with no experience, it is the way of the World - think of the hundreds of thousands of university students, having to pay for their own degree courses.

A320LGW
16th Jun 2023, 08:04
No idea what you’re referring to, but all I see is you posting ill-informed dross all over this forum. Please do not present yourself as some sort of elder statesman or bastion of knowledge, when you’re only just into the RHS of a 737 Ah kendrick, it's great to hear from you as always. I'm flattered you thought I sounded like an elder statesman.
I am curious that you equate new to a 737 as meaning someone doesn't have equal right to the forum? Is that how you view people new to a type? If you're "only just into the RHS of a 737" FO told you you're about to fly into a mountain .. would you dismiss their call on that basis? A very worrying statement from a (I presume) commercial pilot.

It's also a bizarre thing to say due to the fact someone new to the job is arguably THE person to ask because they've just been through the whole system! If I was looking for training advice, I wouldn't be asking a captain nearing retirement, I'd be asking an FO who recently got employed ... that is the most relevant and up to date experience. You've got it back to front my friend.

oh and beware equating new pilot to new to aviation :ok:

kendrick47247
17th Jun 2023, 00:43
Ah kendrick, it's great to hear from you as always. I'm flattered you thought I sounded like an elder statesman.
I am curious that you equate new to a 737 as meaning someone doesn't have equal right to the forum? Is that how you view people new to a type? If you're "only just into the RHS of a 737" FO told you you're about to fly into a mountain .. would you dismiss their call on that basis? A very worrying statement from a (I presume) commercial pilot.

It's also a bizarre thing to say due to the fact someone new to the job is arguably THE person to ask because they've just been through the whole system! If I was looking for training advice, I wouldn't be asking a captain nearing retirement, I'd be asking an FO who recently got employed ... that is the most relevant and up to date experience. You've got it back to front my friend.

oh and beware equating new pilot to new to aviation :ok:

This is hugely different to the reply you posted (and deleted) two days ago.
Did it really take you that long to formulate a more appropriate response?

You’ve been called out before on different threads by moderators when you claimed your posts had been deleted… turns out you have/had edited/deleted 20+ of your own posts. Perhaps a little bit more self moderation might be beneficial before you ‘educate’ others on aviation, regulation or, failing recruitment processes 😉

As for you as a new pilot and new to aviation… I’m well aware of the CV of FOs from Flybe moving to Ryanair.

Small world and all that. Happy landings!

Boeingdriver999
17th Jun 2023, 07:07
Could you two get a room and sort it out in private? Neither of you are winning.

A320LGW
17th Jun 2023, 09:15
This is hugely different to the reply you posted (and deleted) two days ago.
Did it really take you that long to formulate a more appropriate response?

You’ve been called out before on different threads by moderators when you claimed your posts had been deleted… turns out you have/had edited/deleted 20+ of your own posts. Perhaps a little bit more self moderation might be beneficial before you ‘educate’ others on aviation, regulation or, failing recruitment processes 😉

As for you as a new pilot and new to aviation… I’m well aware of the CV of FOs from Flybe moving to Ryanair.

Small world and all that. Happy landings!

Yes I realised your level of hatred and existence shouldn't go unchecked so I left it until I had time to respond properly. Some of us have lives you know?

What says it all about you is that in the last 3 days I've received 2 PMs from other posters claiming they have reported you to the mods in the past and that you are a largely an unsavoury character on here.

That seems to be a role you enjoy?

I've got just shy of 10 yrs in aviation working from airline ops to ATPL instructor and have a bsc and masters degree in an aviation degree. You can wind your neck in if you think I am new to aviation.

The best bit about your post though is your affirmation that you "are well are of the CV ...", when you haven't an iota of a clue about what's on my CV, neither did I ever work for Flybe. What a way to make a fool of oneself :yuk:

So commercial pilot and making gigantically false presumptions. Combining that with the views you express to new people and I'm genuinely not so sure about the role you fulfill.

All the best :ok:

kendrick47247
17th Jun 2023, 09:30
Yes I realised your level of hatred and existence shouldn't go unchecked so I left it until I had time to respond properly. Some of us have lives you know?

What says it all about you is that in the last 3 days I've received 2 PMs from other posters claiming they have reported you to the mods in the past and that you are a largely an unsavoury character on here.

That seems to be a role you enjoy?

I've got just shy of 10 yrs in aviation working from airline ops to ATPL instructor and have a bsc and masters degree in an aviation degree. You can wind your neck in if you think I am new to aviation.

The best bit about your post though is your affirmation that you "are well are of the CV ...", when you haven't an iota of a clue about what's on my CV, neither did I ever work for Flybe. What a way to make a fool of oneself :yuk:

So commercial pilot and making gigantically false presumptions. Combining that with the views you express to new people and I'm genuinely not so sure about the role you fulfill.

All the best :ok:

My apologies for mixing up previous turbo prop operators.

All the best for your next application to BA 😊

Contact Approach
17th Jun 2023, 09:57
This lovers tiff is so sweet…

kendrick47247
17th Jun 2023, 09:58
This lovers tiff is so sweet…

😂😂

I guess you pull the hair of the one you want the most 🤷🏼‍♂️

Jonty
17th Jun 2023, 16:41
😂😂

I guess you pull the hair of the one you want the most 🤷🏼‍♂️

I reckon your married to each other.

Count of Monte Bisto
22nd Jun 2023, 10:34
I happened to come across this thread whilst surfing around! I am a reasonably senior easyJet training captain and have worked here for nearly 20 years. I have nothing whatsoever to do with recruitment but, hopefully, I have some idea of what goes on here. Let me try and provide a slightly more balanced perspective, that I hope is from a position of actual knowledge, rather than rumour. EasyJet is not a perfect airline, but next to a national carrier, is about as good as you get in the airline industry. It is genuinely a great place to work and there are very few people who do not enjoy working here. Yes, you have to pay for a type rating, but the pay is fairly reasonable in comparison with other companies and the promotion prospects are excellent.

It is undoubtedly true that we have actively tried to recruit female pilots, but that’s because we had so few of them. Also, we have an increasing number of non-white pilots, but that is a good thing in my view and reflects the demographics of the society in which we live. That said, the overwhelming majority of people I end up training are young white males. To therefore suggest that you have an infinitely greater chance of being selected if you call yourself Linda, instead of Fred, is simply rubbish.

We are currently losing a lot of pilots to the likes of Virgin, British Airways and Emirates. It is clearly the case that we cannot offer long haul or different aircraft types. There are also a few pilots leaving to Jet2, but that’s mainly for geographical reasons that are hard to argue with. Is easyJet, perfect? Absolutely not. However, there are very few companies that are as good to work for as easyJet, for all its faults. We have a very good training system and an excellent safety culture. Also, we are very heavily unionised, which brings with it a huge number of protections. My personal observation would be that a number of people who have left us over the years, if they had their time again, would not have done so. If you go to any airline looking to be miserable, then you will fulfil your ambition very quickly. If you come with a positive attitude, you will find this is about the best places in the industry to be.

Newcomer2
22nd Jun 2023, 15:09
It is undoubtedly true that we have actively tried to recruit female pilots, but that’s because we had so few of them. Also, we have an increasing number of non-white pilots, but that is a good thing in my view and reflects the demographics of the society in which we live. That said, the overwhelming majority of people I end up training are young white males. To therefore suggest that you have an infinitely greater chance of being selected if you call yourself Linda, instead of Fred, is simply rubbish.

The only way to find out is to take the number of male applicants vs the number of males actually hired, and compare it to the number of female applicants vs the number of females hired.
Just saying I train more males than females is totally irrelevant.

Count of Monte Bisto
22nd Jun 2023, 15:55
I have just been sat in a Crawley simulator hall with countless new easyJet pilots. The vast majority were young men with the odd young lady - I would suggest that is what matters. But maybe I am just a sad fantasist making it all up.

RARA9
22nd Jun 2023, 16:04
I happened to come across this thread whilst surfing around! I am a reasonably senior easyJet training captain and have worked here for nearly 20 years. I have nothing whatsoever to do with recruitment but, hopefully, I have some idea of what goes on here. Let me try and provide a slightly more balanced perspective, that I hope is from a position of actual knowledge, rather than rumour. EasyJet is not a perfect airline, but next to a national carrier, is about as good as you get in the airline industry. It is genuinely a great place to work and there are very few people who do not enjoy working here. Yes, you have to pay for a type rating, but the pay is fairly reasonable in comparison with other companies and the promotion prospects are excellent.

We are currently losing a lot of pilots to the likes of Virgin, British Airways and Emirates. It is clearly the case that we cannot offer long haul or different aircraft types. There are also a few pilots leaving to Jet2, but that’s mainly for geographical reasons that are hard to argue with. Is easyJet, perfect? Absolutely not. However, there are very few companies that are as good to work for as easyJet, for all its faults. We have a very good training system and an excellent safety culture. Also, we are very heavily unionised, which brings with it a huge number of protections. My personal observation would be that a number of people who have left us over the years, if they had their time again, would not have done so. If you go to any airline looking to be miserable, then you will fulfil your ambition very quickly. If you come with a positive attitude, you will find this is about the best places in the industry to be.

where did you fly before Easy ?

Newcomer2
22nd Jun 2023, 16:34
I have just been sat in a Crawley simulator hall with countless new easyJet pilots. The vast majority were young men with the odd young lady - I would suggest that is what matters. But maybe I am just a sad fantasist making it all up.

I'm not saying you're making it all up, I'm just saying you're not using the correct method.

VariablePitchP
22nd Jun 2023, 16:51

Really good summary and very helpful for people applying.

Do you find it’s often a natural break point at 4/5 years? People either get command or head off to fly a wide body?

Don’t take too much notice of people complaining (again) about the gender ratio. You could hire 15,000 male pilots, one female pilot, and they’d still demand to see her CV as she could only have got the job through an agenda hellbent on driving men out of the profession.

midnight cruiser
22nd Jun 2023, 19:12
If a greater percentage of total female applicants are hired than male, then that indicates a discrimination in favour of females.

Newcomer2
22nd Jun 2023, 19:14
If a greater percentage of female applicants are successful than male, then that indicates a discrimination in favour of females.

My point exactly.

BAreject
22nd Jun 2023, 19:16

Any idea if EZY plan to recruit UK DEC in the near future? I'm pretty sure you'll notice a reverse of the tide you mention above from one particular airline.

Count of Monte Bisto
22nd Jun 2023, 23:00
We did some sim assessments for DECs a couple of months back, but I think they were for our European bases and not the UK. There are a huge number of suitable command candidates right now, but a lot of opportunities too. I believe we will have around 250 command upgrades next year.

Regarding people staying for 4-5 years, I think it is a mixed picture. Obviously there is the lure of long haul for young folks who have done a few years at easyJet, but there are also a significant number of people who like short haul and are happy to stay. An easyJet captain’s basic salary is £117,000, which is very achievable for a cadet 5 years after joining. In addition, after 10 years in the Company you get 15% bonus every year (5% after 2 years, 10% after 5 years). You also get around £16,000 in allowances and 7% into the pension. It would take a good few years at BA to reach those numbers, but eventually BA pay overtakes that of easyJet. When I joined 20 years ago easyJet was seen as a passing place on the way to better things. That is no longer the case and there are a lot of people seeing this as a career airline. Horses for courses etc. I hope that helps.

Regarding the whole women thing, all I can tell you is that there are jobs here for everyone -just do not get hung up on this inevitably controversial subject. It’s been a source of endless debate both inside and outside the company - I no longer longer give it a moment’s thought. It really is not worth the hassle. There are so many arguments and counterarguments, and it never really lands anywhere that people are happy with, whatever side of the debate you sit on.

Count of Monte Bisto
22nd Jun 2023, 23:11
RARA9. This is my 5th airline and I was in the RAF before that. I was in GB Airways before easyJet and a couple of turboprop companies plus a long-gone airline called Debonair (BAe 146 low cost operator that went bust). Hope that helps.

Kennytheking
23rd Jun 2023, 03:59
Regarding the whole women thing, all I can tell you is that there are jobs here for everyone -just do not get hung up on this inevitably controversial subject. It’s been a source of endless debate both inside and outside the company - I no longer longer give it a moment’s thought. It really is not worth the hassle. There are so many arguments and counterarguments, and it never really lands anywhere that people are happy with, whatever side of the debate you sit on.

Well said.

Just to stir the pot - are the non binary genders adequately represented at EJ?:oh:

AIMINGHIGH123
23rd Jun 2023, 08:39
We did some sim assessments for DECs a couple of months back, but I think they were for our European bases and not the UK. There are a huge number of suitable command candidates right now, but a lot of opportunities too. I believe we will have around 250 command upgrades next year.

An easyJet captain’s basic salary is £117,000, which is very achievable for a cadet 5 years after joining. In addition, after 10 years in the Company you get 15% bonus every year (5% after 2 years, 10% after 5 years). You also get around £16,000 in allowances and 7% into the pension. It would take a good few years at BA to reach those numbers, but eventually BA pay overtakes that of easyJet.

It always makes me laugh when people say you will earn more at EZY/RYR quicker.

So what’s EZY FO salary from when you start all in?

Ok BA usually take experience people so doing 1-3 years at Easy then moving to BA you losing that time.

BA you can find figures on PPJN.
Then add £20k to it for extras.
My predicted financial year end is £85kish for current year 1 at BA. Plus company is paying 15% into pension, I haven’t done any overtime on that figure either. A mate of mine last year at BA SH managed close to £100k but he smashed out the overtime.
Going LHS SH after a year to 18 months is possible at present. 5 years pay scale LHS SH £120kish plus the pension which don’t forget is tax free.

EZY/RYR always state the Captain blah blah but forget the time as FO when BA pulling in £20k+ more each year easily.

Count of Monte Bisto
23rd Jun 2023, 15:14
Don’t laugh too much mate. Rather feel embarrassed at such a crass post. I am sure we all thrilled to find out you’re going to earn all that money in your first year at British Airways? The only problem is you’re answering the question that nobody is asking. There is a thread about British Airways direct entry pilots next door - you may want to go there where there are undoubtedly numerous people who will be unbelievably impressed by your achievements. I personally am not.

Returning to the question in hand, the discussion around paying for type rating costs is undoubtedly frustrating. However, holding to a principle of not paying for a type rating is an invitation to unemployment. You have to balance the cost of the type rating against being unemployed for even six months.

If you are not a high achiever like Mr Aiminghigh above at BA, where you get your type rating paid for, not to mention £85k per annum, posh hotels and special favours in heaven when you die then you may be better to bite the bullet and just cough up. It soon pays for itself.

Regarding easyJet and trans applicants, I have no doubt we would jump at the opportunity to be diverse etc, but I have not personally met anyone yet who would fit the bill.

ser
23rd Jun 2023, 15:34
Don’t laugh too much mate. Rather feel embarrassed at such a crass post. I am sure we all thrilled to find out you’re going to earn all that money in your first year at British Airways? The only problem is you’re answering the question that nobody is asking. There is a thread about British Airways direct entry pilots next door - you may want to go there where there are undoubtedly numerous people who will be unbelievably impressed by your achievements. I personally am not.

Returning to the question in hand, the discussion around paying for type rating costs is undoubtedly frustrating. However, holding to a principle of not paying for a type rating is an invitation to unemployment. You have to balance the cost of the type rating against being unemployed for even six months.

If you are not a high achiever like Mr Aiminghigh above at BA, where you get your type rating paid for, not to mention £85k per annum, posh hotels and special favours in heaven when you die then you may be better to bite the bullet and just cough up. It soon pays for itself.

Regarding easyJet and trans applicants, I have no doubt we would jump at the opportunity to be diverse etc, but I have not personally met anyone yet who would fit the bill.

Not including that, if you don't want to live/commute to London, the majority of your options require you to pay for your TR. Morals don't pay the bills.

plikee
23rd Jun 2023, 16:04

Ok BA usually take experience people so doing 1-3 years at Easy then moving to BA you losing that time.

My predicted financial year end is £85kish for current year 1 at BA. Plus company is paying 15% into pension, I haven’t done any overtime on that figure either. A mate of mine last year at BA SH managed close to £100k but he smashed out the overtime.
Going LHS SH after a year to 18 months is possible at present. 5 years pay scale LHS SH £120kish plus the pension which don’t forget is tax free.

EZY/RYR always state the Captain blah blah but forget the time as FO when BA pulling in £20k+ more each year easily.

14 ATPL subjects yet can't make simple maths.

EMB-145LR
23rd Jun 2023, 18:15

BA C32L here. Would love to see where you're getting your pay scales from? As a skipper on PP8 my basic is just under £105,000 and my allowances are closer to £12,000-15,000 a year. I have plenty of friends at easyJet and it's a great gig, just like BA, it is what you make it. No need for willy waving on a public forum.

AIMINGHIGH123
23rd Jun 2023, 19:41
BA C32L here. Would love to see where you're getting your pay scales from? As a skipper on PP8 my basic is just under £105,000 and my allowances are closer to £12,000-15,000 a year. I have plenty of friends at easyJet and it's a great gig, just like BA, it is what you make it. No need for willy waving on a public forum.

Well it’s not about willy waving at all. Just providing information. How comes others are allowed to quote pay then? I came from LCC and had the same debate with my mate. Over a pint while at LCC we got our payslips out. I was shocked at his BA pay.

I have nothing against Easyjet and yes if I lived EDI, Bristol etc Easy would be my first choice. The Captains pay is very good at Easy for sure. FOs deserve more. From speaking with exEasys when I did my TR they were struggling in the early years as FOs. Paying back loans etc.

From when I worked at LCC every Captain would say the same. Would never go BA money way better here.

Yes it is what you make of it. BA works for me.

You must be exclusively doing short day trips??even then that seems very low. Looking through my iBid I average £1900 a month in extras. I try to bid for day trips.

EMB-145LR
24th Jun 2023, 10:08
Well it’s not about willy waving at all. Just providing information. How comes others are allowed to quote pay then? I came from LCC and had the same debate with my mate. Over a pint while at LCC we got our payslips out. I was shocked at his BA pay.

I have nothing against Easyjet and yes if I lived EDI, Bristol etc Easy would be my first choice. The Captains pay is very good at Easy for sure. FOs deserve more. From speaking with exEasys when I did my TR they were struggling in the early years as FOs. Paying back loans etc.

From when I worked at LCC every Captain would say the same. Would never go BA money way better here.

Yes it is what you make of it. BA works for me.

You must be exclusively doing short day trips??even then that seems very low. Looking through my iBid I average £1900 a month in extras. I try to bid for day trips.

I wish I was just doing day trips, I'm almost exclusively doing three and four day tours. There's good and bad points to every company. I'm happy where I am, but likewise I can appreciate just how good an employer easyJet is too.

Boeingdriver999
24th Jun 2023, 14:38
The Count is correct in that easyJet is what you make of it - if you have a positive outlook and it suits you then it’s great. If it’s not; it’s not. I did over a decade at the place in various countries and only regret staying so long and would rather retire than go back. But that’s an entirely subjective view that doesn’t apply to the next fella. You have to collect your own information and make your own, grown-up decision.

Also as pointed out; the Count’s vantage point on female recruits/trainees etc does not provide a valid view on discrimination in the industry. Much more, closely guarded data would be necessary to make a simply statistical analysis of the situation and get an accurate answer.

Count of Monte Bisto
24th Jun 2023, 16:27
Just to clarify - I have no involvement whatsoever with recruitment and have no data on female recruitment other than what our management tells us. What I do know is that we are aiming to get to 12% female pilots - something that is incredibly difficult to achieve. I believe the average around the world is about 5%, but others will be able to furnish us with more accurate figures. Also, and this is purely my personal experience, we do have a lot of female recruits - way more than was the case, say, 15 years ago. We also have our first female training manager, who is a massive and very visible activist for advancing the cause of female pilots in the industry. She is absolutely top quality, by the way, and an absolute delight to deal with.

The trouble with any form of 'targeted recruitment', as has been seen from recent controversies within the RAF, is that this is an incredibly divisive issue - and there are no easy answers. All I can tell you is that there are jobs for everyone at easyJet regardless of sex, religion, race etc, etc or anything else. In my experience, everyone is treated fairly. If you are a buffoon then being black, gay, trans, white, Muslim etc, etc, will not protect you - that is exactly how it should be. Equally, you will never be held back for any of those reasons - exactly as it should be.

I realise that those folks who obsess over these type of things will simply never let go of their particular beef - such is the nature of the beast. I personally do not give a whole lot of thought to the matter, but quietly rejoice that we are one of the fairest companies in the world to work for. No more can I ask for. My advice to those of you who have some particular grievance related to recruitment is to just let it go, get on with being the best you can be and grab the opportunities you are presented with to move up in the industry. Inevitably, that will never be enough for some people, but in the end it will save you a world of pain and unnecessary misery.

Boeingdriver999
24th Jun 2023, 23:20
To the Count;

Your latest post is fascinating because of it’s contradictions. You seem quite emotional about the topic whilst telling everyone else to stop worrying about it so much. I wonder why what is?

Also; the more important point - you say recruitment is agnostic of of sex, race, religion, creed but more importantly based on “buffoonery” or lack thereof.

So if easyJet have an issue with recruiting a diverse bunch of cadets and by your own measure of ability it’s to do with levels of “buffoonery” - how on earth is that not the most sexist/racist/xenophobic thing to say in 2023?

Count of Monte Bisto
25th Jun 2023, 03:08
Boeingdriver999 - your comments remind me why on PPRuNe I rarely venture outside the private forum related to easyJet. I am slightly disappointed you appear to have taken offence and I cannot really see why. I not sure I quite understand your concern, but it may be I did not explain myself properly. My reference to buffoonery was simply related to flying-related behaviour. If you do something wrong or stupid as a pilot, being of a 'diverse' background will not protect you - nor should it. Equally, as I mentioned, being of any background is no barrier to success here in my experience. I hope that clarifies my comments. You also said, 'if easyJet have an issue with recruiting a diverse number of cadets' - they don't. We recruit from every background, and I am at a loss to understand how you find that sexist/racist/xenophobic. However, as I alluded to, people who are offended in this realm are always offended and invariably find offence where there is none to be had. Given you appear to have worked for us over many years, I really hope you are not one of those people. If you have found Air Utopia, I am genuinely glad for you - to be working somewhere you actually like is a great privilege. If you did not like working here, for whatever reason, and have found a better gig elsewhere, that is fantastic.

Boeingdriver999
25th Jun 2023, 05:19
Absolutely zero offence taken or meant to be given whatsoever. This is not an important topic for me; I just happen to be in days off.

I haven’t found Air Utopia but again; I find such comments curious - to leave easyJet one must find Utopia?

My mates who remain have mostly passed the threshold of moving and now have the golden handcuffs so to speak. Are they happy? Absolutely. As happy as a pilot can be who’s never experienced a world outside of easyJet.

RARA9
25th Jun 2023, 06:29
Absolutely zero offence taken or meant to be given whatsoever. This is not an important topic for me; I just happen to be in days off.

I haven’t found Air Utopia but again; I find such comments curious - to leave easyJet one must find Utopia?

My mates who remain have mostly passed the threshold of moving and now have the golden handcuffs so to speak. Are they happy? Absolutely. As happy as a pilot can be who’s never experienced a world outside of easyJet.

this comment is very accurate from my thoughts , most of my flying friends that are in Easy have been in the company for the majority of the career so have never experienced anything else really. Almost institutionalized. Nothing wrong with it I guess

Also many new pilots join straight from Flight school (L3 CTC or whatever it’s called) so fall in love do 3 years and then join BA which they think is the Holy Grail.

All great , but it does start to grind on me when they constantly go on about how wonderful it is. Do you really love your 4 sector days though ?

EpsilonVaz
25th Jun 2023, 07:19
I think the reason many bang on about EZY is because when the cockpit door is closed (ie, not dealing with summer disruption), it's usually a great place to be. Everyone is generally there for a good day out. You bid for earlies/lates which you generally get. And if you get a base close to where you want to be, it's good for family life (home every night). I probably get one four sector day every two months, but we do have some quite long two sector days, especially in the summer.

Winter is very quiet. Part time options are great, not many other jobs out there that offer £75k+ for 9 days a month (with all the same roster protections).

That said, after 15 years here I am currently interviewing elsewhere. Whatever I decide to do it's quite a difficult choice as EZY has it's flaws, but overall a nice place to be.

Alrosa
25th Jun 2023, 08:38
A lot of sensible comments on this thread and some silly ones.

As I’ve said many times, we’re all looking for different things and what suits one pilot may not suit another.

Where it gets a bit silly is where people come on this website claiming their company and contract is the best one to be had and seem to have trouble understanding why some people don’t agree !

The best place to work is the place that suits you.

Boeingdriver999
25th Jun 2023, 09:44
The best place to work is the place that suits you.

Hits the nail on the head.

Count of Monte Bisto
25th Jun 2023, 16:17
Some wise words here. To clarify, I am not saying easyJet is perfect, but it is definitely near the top end of what is out there, with all its limitations. I have known EpsilonVaz for many years and he is a widely-respected captain here. I also understand that what is good at one point of life is not necessarily good at another stage of one's career. Also, there are times when a particular offer seems quite attractive, when all the stars appear line up at a particular moment in time. There is also a power in just starting afresh and going somewhere new - I fully get that. There is no perfect answer as to where to work, but we all know when we are in the wrong place! Those of you who think things are bad should take a look at the parallel thread on Yemenia - it would make a glass eye water! Within any airline, each person's individual experience of that particular company can also be very different. Furthermore, life events outside of work can have a huge effect on our perception of work life at the time. I am 18 months from retirement and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I cannot speak for the current key players out there at the moment - Ryanair, Jet2, Virgin, BA, Emirates, Qatar etc. Each has their own 'flavour', but I would, however, urge caution here. I am aware this is the 'Terms and Endearment' section on PPRuNe and many of the people reading this are at the beginning of their careers and not the end.

My advice, such as it is, would be as follows. First do not pay much attention to people in their first couple of years at a new company, particularly if they are relatively new to aviation. They basically do not know anything and are still flush with a sense of wonderment and delight at their achievements! To be a professional airline pilot is indeed a great achievement, but it is a hard road over a lifetime. If I was to use one word to describe working full-time for any LCC it would be 'relentless'. That one word says it all - a couple of summers at Gatwick will soon flush out any sense of thrill at your lot! There will be an endless litany of roster changes, delays, working into days off, yob passengers, frustrating management emails, more delays etc, etc. It starts as a genuine adventure, but that gradually (and it is a gradual thing) wears off and takes its toll. Therefore, you need to realise that part-time is really the only way not to have your health ruined by your mid-fifties (or possibly earlier). We are simply not designed to work for long, long hours at all times of the day and night. It is fundamentally unhealthy and requires enormous self-discipline to eat well, sleep well and keep at an appropriate level of fitness. Training and being in the sim has helped me stay sane, but I am still genuinely so glad to have done this job. I do, however, recognise the difficulties of a life in a hard-working airline. From what I can tell, BA shorthaul or any of the other short haul companies is really not a whole lot better. Sure, it is a great job, but do not do it for the money. Get part-time as soon as you can and work to live rather than live to work.

Anyway, that is my view and others are more than welcome to chip-in. We are a great airline here at easyJet. However full-time work is relentless - that is the nature of what we do and will never change. I love flying the A320 series - magnificent machines! The Boeing guys (for reasons I have never fully understood ;)) love their steeds as well - after a while, however, an aircraft is an aircraft, the mystique evaporates and you just get to know it very well. I am fortunate to work with great people and that is what makes my day fun. However, too much of a good thing is just that - too much. Get part-time and realise there is whole world out there beyond the airline you work for. Here endeth the lesson!

Chauderon
25th Jun 2023, 19:44
Although I disagree with some of your opinions on fairness and diversity of EASY recruiting, this is a very well written post and I would recommend it to any pilots getting into the industry.

Count of Monte Bisto
26th Jun 2023, 08:10
Chauderon - do not worry about disagreeing with my views on easyJet and diversity. Everyone disagrees with everyone else on this subject and that is just the nature of the beast!

Very few people have an entirely rounded view of aviation. It is almost impossible to have a career that encompasses, say, British Airways, easyJet, Cathay, Emirates and Yemenia! I am sure that someone, somewhere will prove me wrong, but we are all fundamentally limited in our complete experience of the industry. We can therefore say, 'You do not know any better, and therefore through ignorance of the wider world you like easyJet (insert Ryanair, Qatar, Emirates, Jet2, Virgin etc, etc as required)'. Also, better the devil you know in may cases. The slight problem with the view that says the best place to work is the place that suits you is that is not really dealing with the issue of folks looking for potential change. For example, you may be like EpsilonVaz above and fundamentally recognise the benefits of working for easyJet, but still have your head over the parapet and looking for something better, more interesting, different aircraft type, transfer to long haul etc. That is entirely normal and actually quite healthy. At different stages over the last 20 years I too have filled-in forms and started the process of leaving, but in the end my more rational self has led me to staying here. It is now too late and I am very comfortable seeing out the last 18 months of my working life here. As I reflect back on my own journey, which involves 5 different airlines and the RAF before that, easyJet has been the right place at the right time for me, and is overall one of the better choices of airline to work at. That is completely irrelevant to everyone else as they will all have different experiences. Ask anyone who has been unemployed, or worked for some hideous contractor, and they will tell you how relieved they were when they eventually got a job at a 'mainstream' airline. Equally, if you listen to some guy who got a job at BA aged 20 and ended up as No 12 on the seniority list flying 747's, you often get a sense of entitlement as they simply never knew what is was to struggle - basically a fantastic career was handed to them on a plate.

I can only tell you that, although I have not worked for the myriad airlines out there, I have taken a massive interest in the unbelievably varied range of pilots passing through the training system here at easyJet. We have had a number of presidential pilots - varying from Sarkozy's personal A340 pilot through to the B727 First Officer for the President of Burkino Faso in Ougadougou! We have had contractors for Afriqiyah Airways in Libya, pilots from Small Planet right through to the personal pilots on Gulfstreams working for Russian Oligarchs to take them to their various gambling appointments round the globe. At one stage we had numerous ex-BA captains forced to retire aged 55 and who had several previous wives to cater for and therefore needed to work to 65. Some of those were also very happily married, but just liked flying and did not want it to end early. Round that time we also picked up a number of ex-Cathay 49ers who woke up one morning to find out they had been fired and had to leave Hong Kong sharpish! We have had ex-military pilots who have flown everything from Tornados through to US F15's. We have had at least one ex-Concorde pilot and at one stage we had a wonderful ex-Harrier pilot who was taken prisoner during the Falklands War after being shot down during a ground attack sortie. The reason I say all this is that easyJet has historically had an incredibly eclectic mix of pilots - I have loved hearing their tales of different lives. Sure, I have not walked in their shoes, but we all at least got to hear of their experiences. Where it has left me at the end of my career is to feel a genuine sense of privilege that I have worked at easyJet, with its safety culture and genuinely supportive environment, if you do your bit. As I have stated many times before, it is not perfect and there is a whole other world out there - as a number of excellent contributors have pointed out. There is not a perfect airline out there - at least not one that was ever available to me! As I look round the world, if you can get into Delta, United or American at a young-ish age, that is about as near to Air Utopia as you can get. Even these big players, however, are potentially fraught with difficulty as they have all had furloughs, inconvenient base allocations based on seniority etc. If I am honest, although I cannot fault our selection system, it is somewhat bland. The range of pilots we used to have are being replaced by vast numbers of keen young folks coming through from CAE and L3. We are interviewing some very interesting DEPs from the likes of Air Astana, TAP etc (very good they are too), but they are not coming in big numbers. The bottom line is that, if you can get in here, there are a whole lot worse places to be and not that many that are massively better. It is always hard to argue with the undoubted merits of national carriers like BA, Air France or Lufthansa, but the reality is that these type of places are rare beasts to get anywhere near for most of us. Also, there are long seniority lists that require great patience before hitting the jackpot in later life. There are no perfect answers, but there are some absolute shockers - easyJet is not one of those. Also, lurking out there, if you can find them, are also some very interesting and enjoyable options that can scratch the itch most us get at some stage in our career. In my humble experience, such as it is, there are very few revolutionary moves up the ladder in aviation - mainly more evolutionary, with small changes that are generally for the best - but even that is not guaranteed! I hope it works out well for you all, whatever path you follow.

Newcomer2
26th Jun 2023, 08:56
My advice, such as it is, would be as follows. First do not pay much attention to people in their first couple of years at a new company, particularly if they are relatively new to aviation. They basically do not know anything and are still flush with a sense of wonderment and delight at their achievements! To be a professional airline pilot is indeed a great achievement, but it is a hard road over a lifetime. If I was to use one word to describe working full-time for any LCC it would be 'relentless'. That one word says it all - a couple of summers at Gatwick will soon flush out any sense of thrill at your lot! There will be an endless litany of roster changes, delays, working into days off, yob passengers, frustrating management emails, more delays etc, etc. It starts as a genuine adventure, but that gradually (and it is a gradual thing) wears off and takes its toll. Therefore, you need to realise that part-time is really the only way not to have your health ruined by your mid-fifties (or possibly earlier). We are simply not designed to work for long, long hours at all times of the day and night. It is fundamentally unhealthy and requires enormous self-discipline to eat well, sleep well and keep at an appropriate level of fitness. Training and being in the sim has helped me stay sane, but I am still genuinely so glad to have done this job. I do, however, recognise the difficulties of a life in a hard-working airline. From what I can tell, BA shorthaul or any of the other short haul companies is really not a whole lot better. Sure, it is a great job, but do not do it for the money. Get part-time as soon as you can and work to live rather than live to work.

Spot on!

olster
27th Jun 2023, 02:23
Well done Count, some great and invaluable posts here. Combined with the Yemenia thread it reminds me that among the professional pilot group there are some very articulate smart chaps and chapesses that do care about our industry and the well being of neophyte pilots. I had a 5 year spell with the orange mob starting when they had only eight aircraft of the Boeing variety. Mike Keane was the chief pilot in those days who I don’t mind naming as I hold him in high regard. An old fashioned pilot type who cared about the important stuff and continually fighting a rear guard action against the architects of the brave new Low Cost world. The attitude of the management above him was one of general suspicion towards the pilots underpinned by a reluctance to pay the money to attract the experience that they needed. I was mightily impressed then and now with the training department which I joined almost straight away that maintained a highly professional operation despite all the white noise from easyland. It would appear that elements of the orange culture remain but I understand why you stayed and without doubt easyJet has expanded to the current colossus it has become. I left to join a holiday airline of the light blue variety which was okish but as the world, airline and other was changing, not a bad move but not as you amusingly say Air Utopia either. Anyhow, great posts and info, well done.

Busflyer007
6th Feb 2024, 07:04
Hi Everyone,

I would be interested in the amount of hours what Easyjet FOs fly in Europe.

thanks.

dhc1180
8th Feb 2024, 05:20
Hi Everyone,

I would be interested in the amount of hours what Easyjet FOs fly in Europe.

thanks.

depends what base but summer months 70-90 hours per month, winter 20-50

dirk85
8th Feb 2024, 09:31
Since I joined the company, in two different countries in EU, except during covid, I have always flown between 600 and 650 hours per year, both seats, and that seems in line with all the other pilots I speak to.
RHS are flying a bit more the last couple of years due to an above average turnover towards the majors and not enough cadets coming in.

Blasted
8th Feb 2024, 13:11
Any realistic path to join EZY right now as a 250H TT cadet?

dhc1180
8th Feb 2024, 13:40
Any realistic path to join EZY right now as a 250H TT cadet?

if you’re from the usual sausage factory supplier of cadet pilot yes. If not then try and get a job flying something at least 10T for a few years then you’ll be able to apply DEP if/when that recruitment opens up. We’re going to be seriously short of pilots this summer as many have left or are in the process of leaving. Mainly FO’s going to EK and BA.

peaky97
8th Feb 2024, 19:52
if you’re from the usual sausage factory supplier of cadet pilot yes. If not then try and get a job flying something at least 10T for a few years then you’ll be able to apply DEP if/when that recruitment opens up. We’re going to be seriously short of pilots this summer as many have left or are in the process of leaving. Mainly FO’s going to EK and BA.

Hello guys do you by any chances how long we stay in the holding pool until they call us for induction ? It's been 3 weeks for me. Thanks!

Plastic787
9th Feb 2024, 06:10
From what I can tell, BA shorthaul or any of the other short haul companies is really not a whole lot better

Have done both easyjet and BA and I can tell you Short Haul at BA LHR (despite not being the glamour gig) is night and day easier and less fatiguing than easyJet (well easyjet LGW as that was my point of reference).

But I enjoyed easyJet. The training was first class (better than BA) and a great bunch of characters in the LHS. Personally I couldn’t have carried on doing multiple sector days on short haul for the rest of career but it’s whatever works for you. No need for the Willy waving. If you’re someone who is comfortable with what easyJet has to offer then it’s a great place to work.

Madp1lot
10th Feb 2024, 17:31
Hi everyone.

Any rumours about DEC openings for easyJet Europe anytime soon?
I keep hearing and reading that EZ is short on pilots for summer24, so wondering how that omelet's cooking, and how many eggs will be needed.

Happy landings.

R T Jones
10th Feb 2024, 18:08
It seems there are always new command opportunities in Spain and Portugal, especially the bases that are summer only. I would say as close to zero chance in France and Italy, Germany and Netherlands I would also say was unlikely.

We are told internally that recruitment is complete for summer 24 and attrition is on plan....

dirk85
10th Feb 2024, 19:03
Hi everyone.

Any rumours about DEC openings for easyJet Europe anytime soon?
I keep hearing and reading that EZ is short on pilots for summer24, so wondering how that omelet's cooking, and how many eggs will be needed.

Happy landings.

Not very likely to open for DEC, if anything just in small numbers in Spain and Portugal. About 200 upgrades per year, and very little to no attrition on the LHS in Europe.

dlcmdrx
10th Feb 2024, 21:15
The problem of self sponsored type rating as the "best" possibility for a first job was a monster created by pilots who wanted to fast track to an airline job without going through the "hassle" of hour building. Some airlines wisely realized people were willing to pay for this and started offering this program and freed themselves the responsibility of financing training for their own pilots, which is the rule in most places worldwide.

Now this monster is too big and no one knows how to defeat it, as you can see from posts above. Those who decide to follow the traditional career path of hour building flying small airplanes and/or regional airlines get behind financially compared to those who pay for a type rating right out of flight school and start flying a B737/A320 as their first job.

I honestly don't know how this can be solved since saying "don't pay for it" does not work. People are willing to pay for it. Only a change in regulations would force airlines to pay for the training of their own pilots.

mmm how about imposing a similar rule to the us 1500 hr rule?

thanks to that rule us pilots not only have better pay but much better rosters and a lot more of days off

Mr Good Cat
11th Feb 2024, 10:48
mmm how about imposing a similar rule to the us 1500 hr rule?

thanks to that rule us pilots not only have better pay but much better rosters and a lot more of days off

Naughty :=:E

Only problem with that is that there is almost no way in the UK or EU to get 1500 hrs, as there are very few non-airline openings. Plus, in this part of the world a 1500 hr SEP pilot historically hasn't usually been any better a pilot than a 180 hr cadet! It's about training standards not just hours.

de fumo in flammam
11th Feb 2024, 11:04
Naughty :=:E
Plus, in this part of the world a 1500 hr SEP pilot historically hasn't usually been any better a pilot than a 180 hr cadet! It's about training standards not just hours. That's not my experience, certainly in terms of handling skills and operating spare mental capacity ... and it does seem that more and more serious incidents are of the that variety eg, low speed events, major deviations from profile, prangs and excursions.
​​​

dhc1180
11th Feb 2024, 13:13
We are told internally that recruitment is complete for summer 24 and attrition is on plan....

That’s what we get told every year…..

​​​​​…..when reality shows up it rarely indicates they get it right

R T Jones
11th Feb 2024, 15:08
Oh I know… it was very much said with a hint of sarcasm!

Pilotman14
26th Jun 2024, 16:17
Hi all,
I've recently applied to the Easyjet NTR 2025 - (UK). Does anyone know the average time for response?

Cheers

A320LGW
26th Jun 2024, 17:18
Who, with the required experience, is signing up to pay 30k for a type rating with this company? If you've got the required experience, there is a list of companies that would hire you without having to pay. Who is it attracting exactly?

The salary as an FO is quite poor compared to competitors, that's without the "bond" deduction payments. Very bizarre ..

monkey.tennis
26th Jun 2024, 20:11
Who, with the required experience, is signing up to pay 30k for a type rating with this company? If you've got the required experience, there is a list of companies that would hire you without having to pay. Who is it attracting exactly?

The salary as an FO is quite poor compared to competitors, that's without the "bond" deduction payments. Very bizarre ..

point of order. The type rating is £22k.

“Type Rating runs for approximately 6-8 weeks and is a self-funded cost of approximately £22,000, or bonded 36-month salary deduction of £611 per month (the exact cost will be confirmed at point of offer).”

A320LGW
27th Jun 2024, 18:48
point of order. The type rating is £22k.

“Type Rating runs for approximately 6-8 weeks and is a self-funded cost of approximately £22,000, or bonded 36-month salary deduction of £611 per month (the exact cost will be confirmed at point of offer).”

"Approximately" is the key word there.

Guys who have passed and been offered the course reported a quotation of over 30k in fact, more around 35k. Even more insane.

PENKO
27th Jun 2024, 19:58

This comment is interesting. So your mates who remained in easyJet are happy. Their golden handcuffs fit them quite well. They chose to stay when you had reason to leave. So may I ask what you base that last comment on? On what basis are you second-guessing their happiness?

Say I’m wearing those golden handcuffs in my preferred home base, home every night just like I wanted etc. What then specifically am I missing not knowing ‘a world outside of easyJet’? Please give me some specifics.

sudden twang
28th Jun 2024, 09:52
40 years of day trips isn’t for me but each to their own.

Denti
28th Jun 2024, 10:46
It is different for different people. And yes, i have done most of my life outside of the low cost world. Still, there is something to be said about having half a year off free time on a full time contract, taking home around 10k a month and just flying 500 to 600 hours. And yes, being home every night, having a chance at a meaningful private life outside of the job. And that at ripe old age of 25.

Scorpape
28th Jun 2024, 13:10
It is different for different people. And yes, i have done most of my life outside of the low cost world. Still, there is something to be said about having half a year off free time on a full time contract, taking home around 10k a month and just flying 500 to 600 hours. And yes, being home every night, having a chance at a meaningful private life outside of the job. And that at ripe old age of 25.

If your base is the place you call "home", what you described is really winning the game imo, props to you !
​​​​

PENKO
28th Jun 2024, 17:02
Denti, a few continental bases are actually not that far off of what you describe. Arguably even better! A great deal for the locals and those who choose to relocate permanently. So yes, there are some good deals around, but we are well aware if that, some just a base change away.

sudden twang
29th Jun 2024, 12:29
Well 6 months on and 6 months off is nice but 10k per month isn’t really enough is it?
And your 6 months on 5-600 hours LCC short haul is going to hurt.

dirk85
29th Jun 2024, 14:08
Continental europe base, in 7 years I have never flown more than 630 hours. Money more than adequate (more than the 10k mentioned) and 180+ days at home per year, full time, between off, lve and unused sby. I decided to live where I am based and never looked back. Life is pretty awesome, and i don’t see a single reason to change.
A lot depends on your tax situation, but enough deals in europe to pay very reasonable amount of taxes for a long time, if you do your research.

Count of Monte Bisto
30th Jun 2024, 05:05
Just for info, under the latest pay deal for easyJet pilots in the UK, there is a 17% increase in all pay dating back to Apr 2024. It is a 3-year deal with next Apr getting RPI + 2% and the subsequent Apr getting RPI + 1%. It means that the total package for a 10-year captain will end up around £200k. It is not exactly the stuff of poverty, but listening to some of our captains you could have been forgiven for believing we had just been robbed at gunpoint.

It means the basic salary for a UK captain from Apr 24 is £137,513 with the company paying a further 7% into your pension (£9,625). All the rest is made up Sector Pay (around £40/sector and flying approx 460 sectors a year - £18,400) and loyalty pay of 15% after 10 years’ service (£20.627 taxable), paid annually in a lump sum. Not included is the occasional 5% profit-related bonus (which looks likely this year). Also they throw £3,000 worth of easyJet shares at you most years (not during Covid surprisingly enough).

sudden twang
30th Jun 2024, 08:35
if you do your research.

Yep done my research 👍 I love the less than 40 reports/year rule.

Information Unicorn
30th Jun 2024, 22:02
Just for info, under the latest pay deal for easyJet pilots in the UK, there is a 17% increase in all pay dating back to Apr 2024. It is a 3-year deal with next Apr getting RPI + 2% and the subsequent Apr getting RPI + 1%. It means that the total package for a 10-year captain will end up around £200k. It is not exactly the stuff of poverty, but listening to some of our captains you could have been forgiven for believing we had just been robbed at gunpoint.

It means the basic salary for a UK captain from Apr 24 is £137,513 with the company paying a further 7% into your pension (£9,625). All the rest is made up Sector Pay (around £40/sector and flying approx 460 sectors a year - £18,400) and loyalty pay of 15% after 10 years’ service (£20.627 taxable), paid annually in a lump sum. Not included is the occasional 5% profit-related bonus (which looks likely this year). Also they throw £3,000 worth of easyJet shares at you most years (not during Covid surprisingly enough).

The Count has his (/her) figures correct but for balance and context his (/her/they etc.) comment about “robbed at gunpoint” is exactly that - their comment. There are various percentages flying around from various ballots over the last few months, but there is a very large percentage who would say that being paid less now in real terms for doing an arguably harder and more safety critical job is worth actually fighting for in terms of pay RESTORATION.

So anyone about to retire who develops Stockholm Syndrome probably isn’t worth paying a huge about of time to in terms of opinion… but the facts are there

P.S. that’s my way of saying we are underpaid

dhc1180
1st Jul 2024, 06:56
The Count has his (/her) figures correct but for balance and context his (/her/they etc.) comment about “robbed at gunpoint” is exactly that - their comment. There are various percentages flying around from various ballots over the last few months, but there is a very large percentage who would say that being paid less now in real terms for doing an arguably harder and more safety critical job is worth actually fighting for in terms of pay RESTORATION.

So anyone about to retire who develops Stockholm Syndrome probably isn’t worth paying a huge about of time to in terms of opinion… but the facts are there

P.S. that’s my way of saying we are underpaid

👏👏👏👏 Spot on!🫡

smith
1st Jul 2024, 13:13
It was open to both genders but to qualify for the sponsored type rating you had to be female............

........ at time of application