PDA

View Full Version : Short Tucano to Germany?

DuckDodgers
29th Apr 2023, 06:31
It appears that Qty 13 Short Tucano have ended up in Germany having been sold or leased to ESG / PTL by RSW out of Arizona for potential contract work, serials:

ZF137, ZF169, ZF170, ZF171, ZF172, ZF205, ZF239, ZF292, ZF294, ZF317, ZF319, ZF341, ZF491

DaveReidUK
29th Apr 2023, 06:40
Reportedly went to Germany in November.

Evalu8ter
29th Apr 2023, 13:29
Interesting development. Assume ‘Restricted’ or ‘Experimental’ category in the US so presumably being flown as State Aircraft in Germany rather than under EASA SPO conditions? Wonder who holds the TC? Spirit, Bombardier or somebody else? A glance at the RSW website suggests the some of their aircraft are much modified from the T.1 as delivered to the RAF, with a partial glass cockpit, pylons, Stores Management System and HMDS (presumably STC cleared….) all being offered, so it does raise some questions over certification and airworthiness assurance….

Runaway Gun
30th Apr 2023, 06:47
I wonder if a German company might be leasing them for an RAF Pilot Training contract?

Coochycool
30th Apr 2023, 22:10
Why does one of my wet dreams involve these things getting tooled up and sent East?

Fast(ish) and low, I wonder how survivable they would be?

melmothtw
2nd May 2023, 08:42
Why does one of my wet dreams involve these things getting tooled up and sent East?

Fast(ish) and low, I wonder how survivable they would be?

Not very, given the Shorts Tucano T1 had no provision to carry weapons. The Super Tucano, however...

SWBKCB
2nd May 2023, 08:56
The RSW website shows they've added external stores

https://www.rswaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Weapons-Brochure-spreads-08242016-1.pdf

NutLoose
2nd May 2023, 10:52
Looks impressive

https://rswaviation.com/light-attack-isr/

57mm
2nd May 2023, 11:26
"Forward firing gun" 😉

PPRuNeUser0211
2nd May 2023, 12:18
I particularly like "most experienced Shorts Tucano operator in North America".....a war-winning capability!

Wetstart Dryrun
2nd May 2023, 14:57
With Jericho trumpet......?

N707ZS
2nd May 2023, 15:06
Where are the rest stashed?

NutLoose
2nd May 2023, 15:50
Probably Shawbury but see the link, 22 went to the USA to the company mentioned.

https://www.skippyscage.com/aviation/az/deer-valley/index.php

N707ZS
2nd May 2023, 18:12
Thanks, was wondering if they were still at Linton but probably not.

Just This Once...
2nd May 2023, 20:31
Not sure a Tucano is the place to be in a MANPAD environment with no IR DAS. Yikes!

NutLoose
2nd May 2023, 21:19
Thanks, was wondering if they were still at Linton but probably not.

Tap on the aircraft serial numbers to see pictures of them stored at Shawbury.

Demobbed - Out of Service British Military Aircraft (http://demobbed.org.uk/locations.php?location=2217)

Video Mixdown
2nd May 2023, 21:23
Not sure a Tucano is the place to be in a MANPAD environment with no IR DAS. Yikes!
Quite. They'll end up flogging them to some third-world General who wants to dispose of the villagers whose huts are in the way of his new luxury mansion.

HaveQuick2
3rd May 2023, 06:11
Quite. They'll end up flogging them to some third-world General who wants to dispose of the villagers whose huts are in the way of his new luxury mansion.

Niger?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1100x799/zf241_ffc14e6bbda432e0d0b7b3d13877b0076bb6dde4.jpg

Dan Winterland
4th May 2023, 21:34
Not very, given the Shorts Tucano T1 had no provision to carry weapons.

The wing was reinforced for hard points, the export version was equipped to use them. The reason RAF Tucs had no weapons system was because they would have been counted as combat aircraft under the terms of the CFE (Conventional Forces Europe) treaty.

BEagle
4th May 2023, 23:03
Looks impressive

Really? Max level speed 269KIAS, Vne 300KIAS??

Not that impressive to me.....

pr00ne
5th May 2023, 08:39

The wing was reinforced for hard points, the export version was equipped to use them. The reason RAF Tucs had no weapons system was because they would have been counted as combat aircraft under the terms of the CFE (Conventional Forces Europe) treaty.

Er, the reason that RAF Tucano’s had no weapon system was that they were basic trainers and had no weapon training role whatsoever!

212man
5th May 2023, 20:04
Er, the reason that RAF Tucano’s had no weapon system was that they were basic trainers and had no weapon training role whatsoever!
Having read Dan’s posts over many years, I’m guessing his corporate knowledge may be deeper. But I’m open to be proven wrong.

EESDL
6th May 2023, 07:43
.The brochure missed out......"and you could use the Loiter time to 'flip the hood on' and carry out a few coordinated turns.".......

57mm
6th May 2023, 09:29
Having trouble seeing the tactical utility of such a slow and vulnerable aircraft......

pr00ne
6th May 2023, 09:57
Having read Dan’s posts over many years, I’m guessing his corporate knowledge may be deeper. But I’m open to be proven wrong.

Still doesn’t alter the fact that the RAF Tucano had no weapon system as it was a basic trainer with no weapons training role whatsoever.

chevvron
6th May 2023, 10:31
Still doesn’t alter the fact that the RAF Tucano had no weapon system as it was a basic trainer with no weapons training role whatsoever.
Likewise its predecessor the JP; basic trainer with no weapons training role while in RAF service although it was so equipped for other armed forces.
To my mind it was a retrograde step switching from jets back to turboprops (after the Balliol and the Athena) anyway.
Let's face it, the choice of a completely re-designed Tucano over the PC9 and the Firecracker was political so that jobs could be created in Northern Ireland.
Chatting to Des Norman in about '86 when he was demonstrating his Firecracker to the Ozzies at Fairoaks one day, he told me it was also for the sake of a few knots indicated extra. By the way the Firecracker was operating quite comfortably on/off the 813m runway at Fairoaks; don't know what length the Tucano needed.
Nice bloke Des; we discussed the comparison between the design of the ventral airbrake on the Firecracker compared to the aircraft I was flying at the time (a type which you lot will never have heard of)