PDA

View Full Version : BA Engineer Shortage.

HOVIS
31st Jan 2023, 21:00
BA have given notice to all their third party customers at LHR to focus on 'core' in house work.
A sad day. They used to be a leading MRO.

Krystal n chips
1st Feb 2023, 09:25
BA have given notice to all their third party customers at LHR to focus on 'core' in house work.
A sad day. They used to be a leading MRO.

Is that base and line third parties ?.....and if so, who will be in the market to pick up those being discarded ?

HOVIS
1st Feb 2023, 16:17
As far as I'm aware it's just CEG at LHR. Line stations not affected.

Krystal n chips
1st Feb 2023, 17:00
As far as I'm aware it's just CEG at LHR. Line stations not affected.

Thanks for that :ok:....

MAC 40612
10th Apr 2023, 19:23
Is that base and line third parties ?.....and if so, who will be in the market to pick up those being discarded ?

As previously answered it is CEG at Heathrow that has shut down, to move across the engineers that previously were working on other operator's back onto the core BA fleet, as they are so short of engineers. Unfortunately for BA their master plan hasn't worked out too well as a number of ex-CEG engineers have decided to either retire or leave..

As to who is going to pick up the all the operators BA has discarded, probably a good candidate would be United at Heathrow who have recently acquired the ex-British Midland hangar at Heathrow [that BA sold to United] and have recruited about 75+ ex BA engineers [lured by a better pay and T+Cs contract]

BA really only has themselves to blame for their engineering staff shortage as they decided to jettison one third of their engineering staff during the pandemic and imposed a pay-cut and reduction in leave and other T+Cs on the remaining engineers, that haven't got back all those losses since.

With the Heathrow area/SE England being so expensive to live and many other carriers paying better in a tight job market they've got their work cut out to get back to their required staffing levels.

They are recruiting some new staff though, very recently there were a couple of 'new starters' of note, one is 75 years old and the other is 77!

dixi188
11th Apr 2023, 08:25
I tried to get into the BEA / BOAC apprenticeship scheme in 1969. I think I may have a chance now!

hunterboy
16th Apr 2023, 19:15
I gather a lot of the apprentices left after being presented with a reduced salary contract on their first day of joining. Seems a funny way to run a company. Rather than increase revenue , they would rather cut costs. Problem is they are cutting themselves into oblivion.

MAC 40612
19th Apr 2023, 23:53
I gather a lot of the apprentices left after being presented with a reduced salary contract on their first day of joining. Seems a funny way to run a company. Rather than increase revenue , they would rather cut costs. Problem is they are cutting themselves into oblivion.

One of the problems as BA [and I suspect other carriers under the 'IAG umbrella'] is that the airline is increasingly run by IAG especially with regards to finances. Any financial decision [apart from very miniscule amounts] has to okayed by the IAG financial department and while a lot of people at IAG may be very good at their jobs individually, a good number of them do not come from any airline background and really don't seem to 'get' how airlines run from 'day to day'

MAC 40612
19th Apr 2023, 23:58
The latest idea to help with the engineer shortage over the Summer months at Heathrow is that teams of engineers from the Cardiff major overhaul base will be transported up to Heathrow on a four-on/four-off 12 hour shift basis. Allegedly they are looking for about 40 engineers to help out over the Summer period which is quite a number to take out of the lines at Cardiff.

Tom Sawyer
20th Apr 2023, 08:58
One of the problems as BA [and I suspect other carriers under the 'IAG umbrella'] is that the airline is increasingly run by IAG especially with regards to finances. Any financial decision [apart from very miniscule amounts] has to okayed by the IAG financial department and while a lot of people at IAG may be very good at their jobs individually, a good number of them do not come from any airline background and really don't seem to 'get' how airlines run from 'day to day'

I have worked for 4 well known airlines, including BA, and in general they all have a disconnect between "Corporate" and "Operational" parts of the airline. Problem is, Corporate is where the decisions are made and approved, and like you say the person making the decision was working for a toothpaste company 6 months ago and never even seen a flight deck.or a hangar floor.

Krystal n chips
20th Apr 2023, 09:42
The latest idea to help with the engineer shortage over the Summer months at Heathrow is that teams of engineers from the Cardiff major overhaul base will be transported up to Heathrow on a four-on/four-off 12 hour shift basis. Allegedly they are looking for about 40 engineers to help out over the Summer period which is quite a number to take out of the lines at Cardiff.

Presumably, they will be hotac / allowances paid for when working at LHR....it wouldn't come as a surprise to learn they were being coached back and forth each day.

I have a good friend who is an avionic LAE in T5....it would be fair to say he's "less than impressed " with his current working schedule and "T's and C's ".

It was interesting to see BAMC featuring so prominently in the recent short series....and, the number of managers from elsewhere who also managed to feature. " Pravada " lives on !

MAC 40612
20th Apr 2023, 19:23
Presumably, they will be hotac / allowances paid for when working at LHR....it wouldn't come as a surprise to learn they were being coached back and forth each day.

I have a good friend who is an avionic LAE in T5....it would be fair to say he's "less than impressed " with his current working schedule and "T's and C's ".

It was interesting to see BAMC featuring so prominently in the recent short series....and, the number of managers from elsewhere who also managed to feature. " Pravada " lives on !

I suspect the hotel would be the Premier Inn as they seem to put a load of the cabin crew in there. I think the only allowance is a meal allowance. Not many [any?] volunteers so far, as the staff in Cardiff are on less money than the Heathrow staff, so from what I've heard, they only way they would think about it is if they were paid the same rates as the Heathrow staff while they were working at Heathrow. Whether the company will do that is anyone's guess.....