PDA

View Full Version : "Honest" laser printer

Thrust Augmentation
16th Feb 2022, 10:45
I'm looking for a mid-level business colour laser MFP with duplex for around 15K pages per year, mainly B&W as the current Canon MF-746 while printing well enough, just doesn't have a handle on toner consumption. The MF-746 is typicaly reporting toners empty at about 30% done (yea, 70% remaining!) & I'm not a fan of buying / stocking toner carts that aren't required or running out of toner unexpectedly mid job. I've spoken to Canon at some length on this & they frankly could care less despite the fact that print costs are 3 times the advised. Have to say that the drivers are shoddy, unhelpful & like something for Win95...

The other half runs Zerox & at around 2 years in, it's often cheaper to replace the printer than buy all the required consumables (even when the new is supplied with low volume starter carts), so Zerox is out of the running.

Any pointers appreciated.

Asturias56
19th Feb 2022, 07:41
We switched from inkjet to a cheap HP laser from John Lewis - an HP MFP19fmw - and have been astounded by the improvement. The first colour cartridge is warning of possible replacement after 5 months but they say it still has 10-15% left and you only replace when you see actual degradation. Cost of new toner is £ 49 - not so different to buying Epson inkjet cartridges.

Only issue is the HP doesn't scan two sided - have to spend more for that.

I had some issues setting it up (all one off local things) and HP support were really good

jimtherev
20th Feb 2022, 22:42
Another vote for HP. My M277 dw does about 20,000 copies a year, immaculately. Uses non-OEM toner carts (at about £50 a set as against the OEM £60 a cartridge) Two-sided printing, but not scanning, as As56 says.

Looking on t'internet, today's equivalent seems to be the 283 which is going here and there for £250 - 300.

Thrust Augmentation
21st Feb 2022, 19:23
I'll have a look at the HP offerings, possibly Kyocera & Oki as well.

Thanks.

awair
22nd Feb 2022, 14:36
I would stay away from HP, since they started ‘requiring’ an online account to scan at home!

I’ve been a big fan of Brother for the past 15+ years, but it seems that all manufacturers are on the slippery slope, of locking refills and prioritising a future revenue stream.

My latest Brother, colour laser with scanner, has no network port, making it a nuisance for setup via WiFi. The starter (BW) toner was exhausted at 800 pages - half its supposed life.

Good luck.

NutLoose
22nd Feb 2022, 14:36
Have a look at post 108 and on

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/645202-modern-flawed-designs-6.html

Background Noise
25th Feb 2022, 10:42
We use a Brother 9020CDW colour laser/copier/scanner which is excellent. Has a sheet feeder for scanning, it will print 2-sided but not copy 2-sided. Quality is good and you can get good non-Brother toner cartridges.

This seems to the current version of the same thing with options in the range to go for additional connectivity and 2-sided copying: https://www.brother.co.uk/printers/laser-printers/mfc-l3710cw