PDA

View Full Version : Windsor, UK airspace

Trinity 09L
24th Apr 2021, 17:14
A lot on social media about this airspace change from Thames Valley police.
https://www.thamesvalleyalert.co.uk/da/377336
Surely this is a simple no fly zone for other aircraft/drones, as it is already Class A, similar to other restricted sites which dotted all around the UK, and no affect to the landing pattern when Heathrow is on easterlies.

2 sheds
24th Apr 2021, 17:54
Try reading the application - and an aeronautical chart! :)

2 s

ShyTorque
24th Apr 2021, 19:49
The LHR CTR hasn’t been Class A airspace for quite a few years. It’s Class D.

Whether or not putting a restriction around Windsor (or anywhere else) keeps anyone safe is open to debate. Those wishing to do harm would obviously just ignore such rules.

Some, like myself might remember that Windsor did previously have a “red circle” around it quite a few years ago.

chevvron
25th Apr 2021, 10:47
The LHR CTR hasn’t been Class A airspace for quite a few years. It’s Class D.

Whether or not putting a restriction around Windsor (or anywhere else) keeps anyone safe is open to debate. Those wishing to do harm would obviously just ignore such rules.

Some, like myself might remember that Windsor did previously have a “red circle” around it quite a few years ago.
I only ever saw a 'red circle' round Windsor on military published charts where they were called 'Provost Marshall' prohibited or restricted areas ie only applicable to military aircraft.
Other places like Buck Palace, Highgrove and Sandringham had them too.

ShyTorque
25th Apr 2021, 16:36
Chevron, Having flown years using military charts in a previous era, I think you are probably right. Strange though if only military aircraft have ever been restricted. After all, military crews have a responsibility to the Crown. :)

Trinity 09L
25th Apr 2021, 17:28
Thanks for all the replies.
I have regretfully disposed of all my aviation material, including part of my knowledge.
It was just some of the stupid comments locally that aircraft routes were going to be changed, in all directions, that I sought an explanation from our learned ATC.
regards

DaveReidUK
25th Apr 2021, 18:36
I only ever saw a 'red circle' round Windsor on military published charts where they were called 'Provost Marshall' prohibited or restricted areas ie only applicable to military aircraft.

The current military prohibition is not below 2000 ft within 1 nm of the castle, I believe, so a bit smaller than the proposed police zone.