PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want a Victor bomber, FREE to a good home

NutLoose
5th Feb 2020, 16:05
The only problem is they won't post it, so you will need to dismantle and collect it.

See

https://aviationheritageuk.org/news/category/aircraft-available/

weemonkey
5th Feb 2020, 17:33
Dare one ask why?

MPN11
5th Feb 2020, 18:39
History is now so ‘yesterday’?

I assume this is a Gate Guardian airframe? I don’t know Marham.

NutLoose
5th Feb 2020, 19:23
Yes.....the other one now at risk as well is the LAST Beverley that is sitting at Fort Paul that has sadly closed due to a death.

camelspyyder
5th Feb 2020, 19:30
There are 4 other complete Victors, at Duxford, Cosford, Elvington and Bruntingthorpe.

I expect they'll scrap this one.

NRU74
5th Feb 2020, 19:37
Yes.....the other one now at risk as well is the LAST Beverley that is sitting at Fort Paul that has sadly closed due to a death.

The RAF Museum ought to bid for the Beverley having allowed the last one at Hendon to virtually disintegrate before saving a chunk of the flight deck - which is at Newark.

ShyTorque
5th Feb 2020, 19:41
Dismantle it? Can't they just hop it over the fence, like the one that almost did at Bruntingthorpe?

Easy Street
5th Feb 2020, 20:00
Dare one ask why?

IIRC, stations are only entitled to maintain one ‘gate guardian’ at public expense. Marham has three, and (like all military establishments these days) has a plethora of issues to address with its domestic infrastructure. A lot of time and energy has been put into keeping the Victor presentable over many years but there is only so far that voluntary effort can take preservation without the injection of cash. And the arrival of F-35 has (rightly) made access to the Station much harder, with enthusiasts mostly limited to the excellent off-camp Heritage Centre. If, as I suspect, it is a question of money then it’s an easy decision to get rid. People first.

weemonkey
5th Feb 2020, 23:28
IIRC, stations are only entitled to maintain one ‘gate guardian’ at public expense. Marham has three, and (like all military establishments these days) has a plethora of issues to address with its domestic infrastructure. A lot of time and energy has been put into keeping the Victor presentable over many years but there is only so far that voluntary effort can take preservation without the injection of cash. And the arrival of F-35 has (rightly) made access to the Station much harder, with enthusiasts mostly limited to the excellent off-camp Heritage Centre. If, as I suspect, it is a question of money then it’s an easy decision to get rid. People first.

People first.

Of all the things to say,...I am gobsmacked.

People first.

is just another of those worthless platitudes.

Easy Street
5th Feb 2020, 23:51
People first.

Of all the things to say,...I am gobsmacked.

People first.

is just another of those worthless platitudes.

Okay then: “People, ideas, machines - in that order.” That’s from John Boyd, who is not often noted as having offered worthless platitudes. But the message is the same.

Meanwhile all the air marshals’ grand plans for growing the RAF truly are worthless unless more people can be trained and retained, as no less a figure than the Secretary of State has recognised. Fixing leaking roofs and unreliable heating and hot water systems in on-base accommodation is rightly being seen as a part of that effort.

Tankertrashnav
6th Feb 2020, 00:03
This has been much discussed on the "Victor, Valiant and Vulcan" page on Facebook. The aircraft is a K2 and is apparently in poor condition. I know the former chief tech who was in charge of dismantling the aircraft and moving it to its current position in front of SHQ on the old parade square back in the 80s and he is of the opinion that moving it again would be impractical. It's not even much use as a display cockpit as the interior was gutted at the time of the move. Andre Tempest who own one of the two taxiable K2s (at Elvington) has come up with a few figures for crane hire etc which any purchaser would have to come up with, and they are considerable.

To call the aircraft a "gate guardian" is a bit of a misnomer, as it is not visible to the public from outside of the base - a couple of years ago I had to get the MOD guard at the barrier to promise not to shoot me before he allowed me to walk a few yards onto the base before I could get a half decent photo!

As stated there are already two excellent survivors which do "fast taxis" (and in the case of the one at Bruntingthorpe a very short flight on one memorable occasion!) In addition there is a static display K2 at Cosford, and the IWM at Duxford are currently doing a very through restoration of the only surviving Victor Mk I which is in fact technically a B1K2P (two point tanker conversion). Frankly I don't see that getting rid of this heap of scrap would be any great loss - any money which would need to be spent would be far better going to the upkeep of the other survivors.

jolihokistix
6th Feb 2020, 01:46
TTN, "had to get the MOD guard at the barrier to promise not to shoot me before he allowed me to walk a few yards onto the base before I could get a half decent photo!"

Pretty please, with rare sugar on it.

Dan Winterland
6th Feb 2020, 05:26
When it was moved there in 1986, the Victor only had a short projected life. However, as with most types at the time, the in service life was extended and after a while it became apparent that the aircraft with the lowest Fatigue Index was the gate guardian! Plans were made to get it back on line, but these came to naught when it was realised how difficult a task this was. A couple of buildings had been erected since and these would need to be demolished. But it was a useful source of spares and frequently it was seen with some component or other missing.

CAEBr
6th Feb 2020, 06:54
Does anyone have any information on ownership of the airframe. It has previously been noted as 'privately owned' on loan to RAF Marham. Has the owner passed away leaving Marham with the responsibility ?

treadigraph
6th Feb 2020, 08:42
I have a recollection of what is presumably now the RAF Museum's Valiant being visible close to the Downham Market/Swaffham Road first time I went past about 40 years ago.

NutLoose
6th Feb 2020, 09:17

I would be interested in where your cut off point exists, The BBMF, perhaps The Reds, heck why not simly flog off the F-35 fleet, that will bring in lots on nice monies to maintain the peoples first, in fact you wouldn't need the base at all after that, even more nice savings....
Flogging off ones history and aircraft is not the solution to piss poor management and piss poor funding in getting the infrastructure right in the first place...
You watch the services budget squandering billions on failed projects such as Nimrod through piss poor management and contracting when a small proportion of that funding would have brought the RAF infrastructure up to a standard the 21st century demands.
Selling off the married quarters etc was a classic example of a cash generating scheme that proved to have been flawed in so many ways.

NutLoose
6th Feb 2020, 09:25
Re the BEVERLEY
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heritage/auction-of-contents-of-yorkshire-s-only-napoleonic-fort-will-see-planes-artillery-human-skeleton-and-waxwork-models-go-up-for-sale-1-10226857

Vendee
6th Feb 2020, 09:37
I know the former chief tech who was in charge of dismantling the aircraft and moving it to its current position in front of SHQ on the old parade square back in the 80s .

Bugger, there was me thinking that it came in steeply over the airman's mess and with some firm braking managed to pull up just before SHQ. Another myth shattered :E

Mil-26Man
6th Feb 2020, 09:51

Silly question I'm sure, but beyond the occasional lick of paint what maintenance does a gate guardian actually need?

NutLoose
6th Feb 2020, 10:00
Cut the grass around it.

Onceapilot
6th Feb 2020, 10:02
Overall, better that it was put there and not burned in '86.:) However, let us see some common sense if there are no serious preservation offers. It would seem reasonable for the forward fuselage to be carefully preserved for Cosford, it could make a great "walk-through" exhibit. There might possibly be offers for main components like U/C and the airbrake assy for other display purposes. Sounds like the fin (and the stab?) have a future at Marham. Cheers

OAP

Herod
6th Feb 2020, 10:33
It would seem reasonable for the forward fuselage to be carefully preserved for Cosford, it could make a great "walk-through" exhibit.

Nice idea, but....Cosford and Hendon, and most other museums just don't have the space for this sort of thing. I also gather from further up this thread that the cockpit has been stripped, reducing its visitor value.

Hoping for a good outcome from somebody; and buying a ticket for Friday's lottery

Tankertrashnav
6th Feb 2020, 10:46
I have a recollection of what is presumably now the RAF Museum's Valiant being visible close to the Downham Market/Swaffham Road first time I went past about 40 years ago.

Yes that was XD 818 which was on display outside ops for many years, in camouflage guise (now back to anti-flash white at Cosford). Didn't know it was visible from the road but it it must have been, as it was the only Valiant at Marham after 1964-5

NutLoose
6th Feb 2020, 11:09
At least they are a lot safer these days, I remember in the 70's when all the gate guardians had to be checked for live seats after an aircraft on a gate in the USA was being moved to be refurbished and the seat went off killing the poor sod on brakes..
The UK wasn't much better, remember the 22,000lb Grand Slam on the gate at Scampton that was being removed and was found to be live and full of explosive when they couldn't lift it. :E

Onceapilot
6th Feb 2020, 11:12
I also gather from further up this thread that the cockpit has been stripped, reducing its visitor value.

Do you know, I read that as well! And there was I, assuming that Cosford might just be able to make a V-Bomber visitor attraction out of it! Yes, of course, they would need a fully S Victor for that. Silly me. :rolleyes:

OAP

NutLoose
6th Feb 2020, 11:38
Is the one still at Hendon?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1200x600/xm717_03dfdf07bffe1a1238411afa0aac67b5bef07fe4.jpg

dc9-32
6th Feb 2020, 11:51
I have plenty of room in my garden but not sure the wife would want a bomber covering her vegetables !!

Wrathmonk
6th Feb 2020, 13:33
Yes it is - or at least it was just before Christmas. Not as well lit as your photo. In fact that whole side of the museum seemed to be very dark (including the area the Vulcan is in). Perhaps I wasn't moving fast enough to trigger the light sensors.....!

binbrook
6th Feb 2020, 14:07
Some years ago (quite a lot in fact) I was on a course with a chap who'd been a junior EO at Scampton in the 50s. He told me that the Grand Slam which became the gate-guardian had been buried on the airfield and that they were simply given the map reference of its grave and told to dig it up. Was it really full of Torpex or whatever, or was it just a full-weight training dummy?

weemonkey
6th Feb 2020, 14:14
Silly question I'm sure, but beyond the occasional lick of paint what maintenance does a gate guardian actually need?

Cleaning. Working at height regs =£££££ gone are the days of an erk up top with a broom and fire hose....

weemonkey
6th Feb 2020, 14:21
Okay then: “People, ideas, machines - in that order.” That’s from John Boyd, who is not often noted as having offered worthless platitudes. But the message is the same.

Meanwhile all the air marshals’ grand plans for growing the RAF truly are worthless unless more people can be trained and retained, as no less a figure than the Secretary of State has recognised. Fixing leaking roofs and unreliable heating and hot water systems in on-base accommodation is rightly being seen as a part of that effort.

Oh I agree totally about ^^^^^ but the "failure" if you want to call it that, is spending billions on cutting edge aircraft and technical facilities then sending your highly trained techs to the block with a roll of cling film for the windows to stop the fen winds (or north sea draughts in my Anstruther quarter) blasting straight through taking the heat with them..

downsizer
6th Feb 2020, 14:25
I think it is a shame to remove it. Is the tornado still there?

CAEBr
6th Feb 2020, 14:48
I think it is a shame to remove it. Is the tornado still there?

Yes, just inside the gate, with the Canberra PR9 further inside the base.

Vortex Hoop
6th Feb 2020, 15:17
Aaaah, some of my happiest days at Marham were spent...on detachment in Iraq. No pub, no pool and no decent chinese takeaway.

Walking past the Victor every day was nice though. Shame it has to go.

NutLoose
6th Feb 2020, 15:18
Some years ago (quite a lot in fact) I was on a course with a chap who'd been a junior EO at Scampton in the 50s. He told me that the Grand Slam which became the gate-guardian had been buried on the airfield and that they were simply given the map reference of its grave and told to dig it up. Was it really full of Torpex or whatever, or was it just a full-weight training dummy?

https://www.raafansw.org.au/docPDF/Gate_Guard_bomb_was_live1958_Vintage_news_151106.pdf

Errr the blast radius is a bit far fetched

langleybaston
6th Feb 2020, 16:37
Is there a formula for calculating?

ZH875
6th Feb 2020, 16:58
Scampton did not have a Lancaster Gate Guard in 1958

it now has a Hawk
The Red Arrows jet is the third gate guardian during the airfield’s long history.

The first was an Avro Lancaster, known as S-Sugar, which was in place between 1960 and 1970, before being relocated to RAF Museum Hendon.

Another Lancaster, Just Jane, became the gate guardian in 1973, spending 10 years at the entrance to RAF Scampton.

treadigraph
6th Feb 2020, 18:43
Yes that was XD 818 which was on display outside ops for many years, in camouflage guise (now back to anti-flash white at Cosford). Didn't know it was visible from the road but it it must have been, as it was the only Valiant at Marham after 1964-5

Got me thinking now, have I remembered it wrong - was it the Valiant or was it actually a retired Victor? Must have been 1983, I know there were some active Victors on the airfield and I know I saw the Valiant in the RAF Museum several years later. Confoosed as they say in Norfolk.

superplum
6th Feb 2020, 20:41
Is there a formula for calculating?

Yes. The basic formula (for Inhabited buildings) is D (metres) = 22.2Q1/3. Q (kg) being the net explosive content. However, explosives safety is not that simple - many other factors need consideration. I am sure that the personnel at the time involved with burying the wpn knew what they were doing as would the Chief inspector of Explosives (RAF) at the time.

:8

Callsign Kilo
6th Feb 2020, 21:49
I blame Brexit

BVRAAM
6th Feb 2020, 22:00
History is now so ‘yesterday’?

I assume this is a Gate Guardian airframe? I don’t know Marham.

Here it is during the Commander-in-Chief's visit earlier this week.
https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/83514442_2730390987081211_1664409434765393920_o.jpg?_nc_cat= 111&_nc_eui2=AeHKQ8CBzntK4R1Jzs4qCEBxenkUoqdY6XkCRnu5NYX1dcQ-mjl5HBPKHTE4rFD7iIXsYI6tAkl815n1pSLTr6J-zP4NJaphKNqwlavT-ZerRg&_nc_ohc=Q_rlI0nPTN4AX8ioYu8&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=a2ddd027ea8d9f3a0410574306382197&oe=5EC935DE

Easy Street
7th Feb 2020, 00:11
I would be interested in where your cut off point exists, The BBMF, perhaps The Reds, heck why not simly flog off the F-35 fleet, that will bring in lots on nice monies to maintain the peoples first, in fact you wouldn't need the base at all after that, even more nice savings....
(etc)

The cut off point is obvious and consistent from place to place. One gate guardian per station... the one for which funding is provided.

Minor infrastructure faults costing less than a couple of thousand to fix are generally covered by a regional maintenance contract while major new build is typically delivered by centrally-funded projects not under the station’s direct control. Everything in between (which is a lot...) has to be funded from a limited pot of discretionary spending under the station commander’s control. Using it to maintain a collection of additional gate guardians instead of addressing infrastructure issues is not only a strange order of priority but is also potentially difficult if, for instance, there are health and safety deficiencies going unfixed. Which again is not uncommon.

I realise I’m taking a blunt approach to this but I think it’s reflective of the ‘enough is enough’ stance finally being taken after many years of failing to prioritise adequately. Hopefully more of the same to come on a much grander scale in the big review!

spekesoftly
7th Feb 2020, 00:30
Here it is during the Commander-in-Chief's visit earlier this week.
https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/83514442_2730390987081211_1664409434765393920_o.jpg?_nc_cat= 111&_nc_eui2=AeHKQ8CBzntK4R1Jzs4qCEBxenkUoqdY6XkCRnu5NYX1dcQ-mjl5HBPKHTE4rFD7iIXsYI6tAkl815n1pSLTr6J-zP4NJaphKNqwlavT-ZerRg&_nc_ohc=Q_rlI0nPTN4AX8ioYu8&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=a2ddd027ea8d9f3a0410574306382197&oe=5EC935DE
Whatever happened to "Tallest on the right, shortest on the left" ?

jolihokistix
7th Feb 2020, 01:11
BVRAAM, thanks for that. I was struggling to remember from my odd visits to Marham exactly what was where.

NutLoose
7th Feb 2020, 09:11

Not just that, some females are in trousers, some in skirts, no standardisation, also looks rather shoddy and thrown together with no even height, is it me or doesn't it?.

Jackonicko
7th Feb 2020, 09:48
Beards, a handful of white belts, Navy uniforms sprinkled in, it doesn't look smart and military, it just looks a bit shabby and shoddy.

Blacksheep
7th Feb 2020, 12:27
And the arrival of F-35 has (rightly) made access to the Station much harder, with enthusiasts mostly limited to the excellent off-camp Heritage Centre.Meanwhile, back in the day of the V Force, at RAF Waddington we had the regular Saturday night dance in the Raven Club with bands like the Bee-Gees attracting hundreds of civilians onto the camp from as far away as Scotland, all jigging away about five hundred yards from the bombed up QRA aircraft on Alpha dispersal. :ooh:

spitfirek5054
7th Feb 2020, 12:41
Cannot recall seeing a scruffier bunch,has the position of S.W.O. been done away with?

spitfirek5054
7th Feb 2020, 12:45
I can recall OC Eng Wing at Abingdon,being requested leave an A.O.C,`s parade rehearsal,by the SWO ,because OC Eng`s tunic had a red lining.This was back in the 70`s.

BVRAAM
7th Feb 2020, 18:41
Beards, a handful of white belts, Navy uniforms sprinkled in, it doesn't look smart and military, it just looks a bit shabby and shoddy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Beards, if properly trimmed, are not untidy.
If the military is supposed to reflect the society it serves, then surely the military should look like 2020 and not 1990?
A "Joint Force" should surely have RN and RAF personnel among each other, and not segregated to either side?

Fareastdriver
7th Feb 2020, 19:47
There must have been a hell of a rush for them to break ranks so as to get the the parade square for the AOC's Parade.

spitfirek5054
7th Feb 2020, 20:08
Thought uniform meant uniform,well it did from 1972-1984 when I was an airman.

Vendee
7th Feb 2020, 20:22

Oh for Gawds sakes..... get over yourselves.

spitfirek5054
7th Feb 2020, 20:48
I was proud to serve,and still am after 36 years.did you ever join HM Forces?

Vendee
7th Feb 2020, 21:05
I was proud to serve,and still am after 36 years.did you ever join HM Forces?

Yes I did. RAF from 1975-1994 but I'm not serving now and I don't think we should criticise those serving now for not meeting the expectations of our generation. Time to pass that baton on.

langleybaston
7th Feb 2020, 21:12
That is dreadful.
Just one up from a shambles.

That photo does nothing for my morale.

spitfirek5054
7th Feb 2020, 21:16
As much as that?

weemonkey
7th Feb 2020, 22:39
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Beards, if properly trimmed, are not untidy.
If the military is supposed to reflect the society it serves, then surely the military should look like 2020 and not 1990?
A "Joint Force" should surely have RN and RAF personnel among each other, and not segregated to either side?
It looks like a complete sack of dung!

I am more than willing to be corrected IF someone can ~ allude ~ to just wtf is going on!

Tankertrashnav
8th Feb 2020, 00:27
I think individually most of the airmen and women (and matelots) on parade seem to pass muster pretty well. It is just that no attempt to dress by height has been made, and I cant work out why some of the girls are wearing white belts. Can't imagine HM was impressed. Pleased to see the RAF station sign (a blue bull) visible just above the royal car in the photo.

That is just opposite SHQ (or at least where SHQ used to be). Last time I was there was when I handed in my final clearance card on my last day of service in December 1976. More than half a lifetime ago :(

Four Turbo
8th Feb 2020, 09:36
Reminds me of an early morning in Malta. We had upset the AOC at dinner (tied his shoe laces together which, was taken as personal). xx Sqn officers were ordered to parade in uniform at 0630. We managed to have everyone in something different; KD shorts, KD longs, every colour of KD bush jackets, various colours of flyng suit, No 6, No 1, Bates hat, chip bag... You get the look of it! Well worth getting up early for.

Nige321
8th Feb 2020, 09:46
There might be another (Flyable... :E) one available soon.
Numerous rumour posts swirling around Facebook that Bruntingthorpe is being given over completely to car storage and all airframes to be 'removed'... :(

weemonkey
8th Feb 2020, 09:49
I think individually most of the airmen and women (and matelots) on parade seem to pass muster pretty well. It is just that no attempt to dress by height has been made, and I cant work out why some of the girls are wearing white belts. Can't imagine HM was impressed. Pleased to see the RAF station sign (a blue bull) visible just above the royal car in the photo.

That is just opposite SHQ (or at least where SHQ used to be). Last time I was there was when I handed in my final clearance card on my last day of service in December 1976. More than half a lifetime ago :(

Last time [?] her Maj came to RAF Marham all we CMU contractor "tramps" were told in no uncertain terms we were not to be visible. This was a bit of a shame as the last time I said hello to her ## I had an armful of SLR as she presented yet another Sqdn standard to the RAFs premier AD outfit...

Anyway. We were "all" out the back of 4 shed tabing [filthy habit but it was crowd syndrome] and past rolls the motorcade on it's regal way when one of the permies [who trust me looked like an aged catweazle] did the unthinkable and WAVED. Word from the front was she gave a small wave back, but nothing like the word we got later along the lines of "if you lot ever do something like that again"...of course no one gave the smart arse reply...

## figuratively speaking of course.

wiltshireman
8th Feb 2020, 13:39
Shabby. Now that's a good word!

Herod
8th Feb 2020, 17:39
my last day of service in December 1976. More than half a lifetime ago

Snap!! 31.12.76.

drustsonoferp
9th Feb 2020, 09:13
There might be another (Flyable... :E) one available soon.
Numerous rumour posts swirling around Facebook that Bruntingthorpe is being given over completely to car storage and all airframes to be 'removed'... :(

The old Q sheds from Leuchars were given to Bruntingthorpe. They had to go rapidly before they became listed buildings which would have prevented work for the new Typhoon seat bay. Would they become similarly listed after relocation to Bruntingthorpe, or is the assessment location-dependent?

drustsonoferp
9th Feb 2020, 09:17
We take pride in the actions of the RAF during the second world war, yet the photographs of the era show a force dishevelled by any recent standard. I'd rather the efforts of the force we have goes into delivering the capabilities we are here for, rather than delivering some superficial perfection which detracts form the fighting force.

Wensleydale
9th Feb 2020, 18:39

I thought that Apartheight has been abolished.....

Herod
9th Feb 2020, 20:22
I thought that Apartheight has been abolished.....

Clever..very clever.

SLXOwft
11th Sep 2020, 07:43
Last chance to see for the lucky few before the inevitable. Reminds me of crawling round the Woodford B2 XH670 as a boy.

Before the disposal process begins we would like to give the opportunity for a small number of people to come and see her for the last time on Saturday 10th October. Due to the COVID-19 restrictions the number that we are able to allow onto the station will be limited and there will be time slots allocated for viewings followed by a short visit to our Aviation Heritage Centre.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation/stations/raf-marham/news/victor-gate-guardian/

I have a recollection that in the '80s around the time Valley had its corporate wrist slapped for having the temerity to have a Gnat and Hunter on the gate, USAF airbases were ordered to have collections of historic aircraft. Which I suppose sums up a different attitude to preserving artifacts relateed to recent history. Here the short termism of the bean counters rules.

Can't see the UK ever having anything like this:

Community Static Display Program

The museum's Collection Management Division oversees the Air Force Community Static Display Program for static display aerospace vehicles on loan to municipal corporations, counties, political subdivision of a State, servicemen's monument associations, a post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States or of the American Legion or a unit of any other recognized war veterans’ association, a local or national unit of any war veterans’ association of a foreign nation which is recognized by the national government of that nation (or by the government of one of the principal political subdivisions of that nation), post of the Sons of Veterans Reserves. This program is governed by Title 10 USC, Section 2572. For more information on the application process, see the attached information sheet and then contact [email protected].

Click here for additional information about the Community Static Display program (https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Portals/7/documents/other/Loan Program/NMUSAF Community Static Dispaly Loan Program (2018).pdf?ver=2018-08-31-120720-227)

wub
11th Sep 2020, 09:57

I was an officer at an ATC squadron that had a Vampire and there was a whole Air Publication devoted to the care and maintenance of gate guardians.

Glevum
11th Sep 2020, 11:48
It looks like the Victor will be scrapped

https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation/stations/raf-marham/news/victor-gate-guardian/

Out Of Trim
11th Sep 2020, 19:08
The old Q sheds from Leuchars were given to Bruntingthorpe. They had to go rapidly before they became listed buildings which would have prevented work for the new Typhoon seat bay. Would they become similarly listed after relocation to Bruntingthorpe, or is the assessment location-dependent?

The LPG Q Sheds came from Wattisham...

biscuit74
12th Sep 2020, 19:59
I do like the idea that the gate guardian was the aircraft with the best remaining fatigue life. Hilarious. Good organisation there, someone!

k3k3
12th Sep 2020, 20:55
I was an officer at an ATC squadron that had a Vampire and there was a whole Air Publication devoted to the care and maintenance of gate guardians.

Was the ATC squadron somewhere on the south coast, possibly Hastings? I remember driving past a Vampire on the way from Dover to Portsmouth in the mid seventies.

Non Emmett
13th Sep 2020, 09:22
The Cornish Aviation Society looked after St. Mawgan’s Shackleton WL795 and kept it in good order for fifteen or more years until the powers that be decided it had to be sold. Such a shame a modest enthusiastic team could not have done similar with the Victor. Ah well, someone somewhere will say this is the price of progress.

chevvron
13th Sep 2020, 14:42
The Cornish Aviation Society looked after St. Mawgan’s Shackleton WL795 and kept it in good order for fifteen or more years until the powers that be decided it had to be sold. Such a shame a modest enthusiastic team could not have done similar with the Victor. Ah well, someone somewhere will say this is the price of progress.
The last remaining Beverley presently at Fort Paull east of Hull is likely to be scrapped (as was the example at the RAF Museum) unless a buyer can be found.

GeeRam
13th Sep 2020, 15:30
The last remaining Beverley presently at Fort Paull east of Hull is likely to be scrapped (as was the example at the RAF Museum) unless a buyer can be found.

Its already been taken apart and moved twice now since....and the rumour is, its probably not going to survive a 3rd go at taking it apart and putting it back together....or rather the putting it back together bit might be a 3rd time too many.
Everyone also forgets about the Bev that was at Southend as well, the ex-A&AEE XB261, had been there since flown in there in 1971, and was scrapped there the same year that the one at Hendon was scrapped.

PapaDolmio
14th Sep 2020, 05:49
I did my last five years at Marham so I'll be sad to see her go but I guess it's inevitable really as I expect she's in a right state internally. It makes you wonder what some of the other large aircraft preserved outside are like, Waddington Vulcan?

Further afield I would hope the VC10 and C130 C3 at Cosford will survive a while longer being fairly recently retired but I expect they will eventually go a similar way? Likewise the Vulcans at various civvy sites up and down the country.
Although I have a soft spot for the Bev it was a fairly small fleet, operated a long time ago and is not well known by the public, it's also flipping big, all of which don't work for it sadly. No disrespect intended- I'd love to see it survive but I can't see it somehow.

At least a couple of Victor's have long term futures, the Duxford K1 (?) looked to be undergoing some pretty serious maintenance work when I visited last year

Hopefully parts of the Marham Victor will survive.

Jackonicko
16th Sep 2020, 18:35
and yet the RAF Museum gives space to a B-17 and a P-51 in USAAF colours, and sundry Luftwaffe types, while Duxford's collection includes more American aircraft. Surely the Beverley deserves a place under cover?

GeeRam
16th Sep 2020, 19:09
and yet the RAF Museum gives space to a B-17 and a P-51 in USAAF colours, and sundry Luftwaffe types, while Duxford's collection includes more American aircraft. Surely the Beverley deserves a place under cover?

The problem is finding a museum 'indoors' capable of housing a Bev...?

But, yes, its always annoyed me that RAFM couldn't be arsed or were too lazy to repaint the P-51D into a RAF Mustang IV scheme, and likewise the B-17G into a Bomber or Coastal Command Fortress III.
(unless it was part of the condition of getting them?)

NutLoose
16th Sep 2020, 22:53
Re the Beverley, could they not put it in the reserve store at Stafford? Until a home is found for it, or Wroughton. It does not need to be assembled

roadsman
19th Sep 2020, 19:30
Re the Beverley, could they not put it in the reserve store at Stafford? Until a home is found for it, or Wroughton. It does not need to be assembled

I’ve just heard via the Beverley Association that the Bev at Fort Paul has been bought by Martin Wiseman of Condor Aviation International Ltd based in East Yorkshire with the intention of restoring and refurbishing it.

NutLoose
19th Sep 2020, 19:59
Good news indeed.

salad-dodger
19th Sep 2020, 20:05
Good news indeed.
Have you started a campaign to return it to flight yet?

PapaDolmio
20th Sep 2020, 05:51
Have you started a campaign to return it to flight yet?
Now that would be something to see!

Herod
20th Sep 2020, 07:17
Now that would be something to see!
It certainly would, but I reckon the chances are between zero and zero. However, good static display condition would be special, and taxying condition even better. Good luck to the team undertaking it.

NutLoose
20th Sep 2020, 13:56
Checking their website, they seem the ideal to restore her as required, I wish them well.

Terrys-sister
13th Oct 2020, 18:59
There are 4 other complete Victors, at Duxford, Cosford, Elvington and Bruntingthorpe.

I expect they'll scrap this one.

Ive just attended the Farewell to Victor this weekend at Marham. Sadly she is going to be scrapped as no one has come forward to restore her.

NutLoose
13th Oct 2020, 19:53
It was the moving costs sadly.

Top West 50
15th Oct 2020, 22:05
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1000x800/no_parking_for_an_old_cab_copy_3_84d87e6fde0ad0e0c1d8f5dd024 4aa4649ee753b.jpg
Last flown in September 1985 - Happy Days!

TEEEJ
16th Oct 2020, 07:02
YIRGvFuK1YQ

Compass Call
16th Oct 2020, 21:56
In the video, a senior RAF officer walking around with his hands in his pockets whilst escorting a guest:confused: A chargeable offence for anybody in my day!
It is a sad state of affairs when the RAF standards have dropped this low.

Terrys-sister
18th Oct 2020, 08:26
Ah, you were there, a very wet day. Sad to say farewell. My brother was on board the Victor that crashed into the North Sea In 1975.

Not_a_boffin
18th Feb 2021, 11:22
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-56104311

Sadly, the end.

MightyGem
19th Feb 2021, 20:35
RAF Marham's Victor gate guardian removed:
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2021/february/18/210218-jarts