PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airlines Second officer for expats

hitansh
13th Nov 2019, 20:23
Hello guys. I am looking to apply for DESO in SIA.
And request for your help in knowing various prospects like:
1. Are they really interested in hiring Expat SO's
2. Is it worth it to start career with SIA ?
3. What kind of contract do they make us sign ?
4. What is the pay and expenses ? Are they enough to sustain a good lifestyle ?
5. How fast are FO and Command Upgrades?

any other info you may wish to highlight

Please note that there is already a post but it covers mostly about DEFO and not SO's, so this can be a useful thread for young fresh pilots.
Thank You.

Vaero
14th Nov 2019, 15:04
Even though the position is advertised for Second Officers, many of the people applying come from regional jets with lots of jet hours so they obviously pick those guys up first.

marchua14
17th Dec 2019, 05:16
they are now open to hiring expats but on local terms and contract.
DESO position would be for around 9-12 months or maybe over a year then youll get checked out as a FO.
From what I've heard , command upgrades will take some time. wont be looking at a command upgrade under 8 years.
In my opinion , SIA is a great start to your career. High standards, stable company , fair pay and opportunity.
You'll required to sign a 8 year bond which starts when youre a FO.

cruisepower
17th Dec 2019, 05:45
Even though the position is advertised for Second Officers, many of the people applying come from regional jets with lots of jet hours so they obviously pick those guys up first.

they hire from various background, even people with zero jet hrs have been hired. They looking at mix of turboprop, jet and low hr pilots. SQ have their own way, regardless of your background they will train you to their standards. One of best companies to work for.

WannaBeBiggles
17th Dec 2019, 05:55
What's the pay like for a DESO?

cruisepower
17th Dec 2019, 07:21
What's the pay like for a DESO?

I think you get an allowance for around 6-9 months till you finish line training. After that you will be on a FO pay which is around 9000-12000 song dollars (not sure of exact) Again as a SO you get to fly the airplane unlike in Cathay where you are relief pilot.

nobodoc
8th Sep 2022, 21:44
bump

Anyone got any info for this 2022 batch of DESOs?

Interview process?

Thanks!

richpea
11th Sep 2022, 13:28
Assuming everyone on this thread has applied?

I've gone for it... would be good if people who get contacted let everyone know so we can work out if we've been unsuccessful or not!:)

Oscarmedv
11th Sep 2022, 18:02
HI! I just applied yesterday, have you had any news since you applied? Best of luck!!

richpea
13th Sep 2022, 00:45
HI! I just applied yesterday, have you had any news since you applied? Best of luck!!

If I haven't heard anything back three weeks after I sent the application, I'll start assuming I wasn't successful... 5 days gone so far...

Oscarmedv
13th Sep 2022, 15:55
If I haven't heard anything back three weeks after I sent the application, I'll start assuming I wasn't successful... 5 days gone so far...

I’ll let you know if I have any news. Also check if the status on the application webpage changes. I think it changes from “application sent” to “in review” or something like that.

cruisepower
14th Sep 2022, 19:41
Anyone here cleared the assessments before covid?
Will they give priority to those who cleared before?

I applied again but nothing so far.

a320aviator1993
19th Sep 2022, 17:46
Hi everyone!

I am a CPL MEIR holder, and have a Current IR A320 Type Rating endorsed on my license, with the required 200 hours as PIC. So is it enough for the SIA recruiters to allow me for appearing through their process? Any ideas would be genuinely appreciated.

yellokiwi
23rd Sep 2022, 08:58
I'm a real newbie, just finished flight school. I live in New Zealand and I want to apply to DESO but i'm just not sure about these..

Possesses a valid Class 1 Medical Certificate (recognized or can be validated by CAAS)
Holds a valid CPL/IR with frozen ATPL (recognized or can be validated by CAAS)

Can i still apply with my current NZ Class 1 medical and CPL / Frozen ATPL and later convert?

Or do i have to get the conversion done first?

cruisepower
24th Sep 2022, 15:54
I'm a real newbie, just finished flight school. I live in New Zealand and I want to apply to DESO but i'm just not sure about these..

Possesses a valid Class 1 Medical Certificate (recognized or can be validated by CAAS)
Holds a valid CPL/IR with frozen ATPL (recognized or can be validated by CAAS)

Can i still apply with my current NZ Class 1 medical and CPL / Frozen ATPL and later convert?

Or do i have to get the conversion done first?

Yes you can. License conversion is done only after being accepted in the job.

Mouadesd
29th Sep 2022, 23:39
I applied on the 19th of sept but still no answer. I have a frozen canadian ATPL with MCC training. Good luck for everyone who applied

mwaraem
30th Sep 2022, 12:34
I also applied on 9th Sept and still no word. Im beginning to think maybe they give the locals and other asian countries priority first

How long did they take to contact you after applying?

richpea
1st Oct 2022, 12:20
I previously applied for their cadet scheme a few years ago and they contacted me only once the position had stopped being advertised. This time round they state they are not responding to unsuccessful candidates, so I'm just going to keep my hopes up until the position is removed from their careers portal, and after that I'll assume it wasn't for me this time!

Nedal
12th Oct 2022, 08:15
Assuming everyone on this thread has applied?

I've gone for it... would be good if people who get contacted let everyone know so we can work out if we've been unsuccessful or not!:)
hi I’m also waiting… all the best for all

philc1983
16th Oct 2022, 09:56
I also applied mid September and still waiting to hear back. Application status still says submitted so hasn't changed yet.
Good luck to all.

Rui Dias
30th Nov 2022, 01:07
Any news guys? Do you know how to update one's application?

Cheers

bnwnp
30th Nov 2022, 05:48
I applied since a month ago. Submitted status not even can update recent profile.

Chouan
14th Mar 2023, 11:47
Does someone got any news ?

Mouadesd
14th Mar 2023, 12:46
Nope applied 7 months ago, status says submitted and it didn’t change at all :ugh:

Kurabawa
12th Apr 2023, 01:24
Any news guys? Do you know how to update one's application?

Cheers

U can only update ur application by withdrawing ur current one and submitting a new application. Cheers

Rui Dias
11th May 2023, 22:11
Thanks for the info. I keep seeing ads for DESO at SQ on the pilot jobs website, but are really calling someone?

Cheers

CXKR2022
1st Jun 2023, 07:06
Anyone been called by SIA for DESO position?