PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong CPL to EASA PPL conversion (UK)

Dreamlinerwannabe
28th Apr 2017, 17:24
Hi,

It is a bit complicated.
I am one of the Cathay Cadets, finished the whole cadet training in Australia.
Got about 160 hours flying from there.
Upon finishing the course, I only have a Hong Kong CPL, rating as pilot in command on a DA42 and a co pilot on a B777. I have also got a frozen ATPL, after passed all 14 ATPL subjects by CAA international in the EASA syllabus.
The flight on DA42 was done in more than 13 months ago, so it expired.

Now I am trying to go to the UK to get an EASA PPL done so that I can have a privilege to fly in EASA.

According to the document CAT804, I have to have 100 hours for the skill test.

May I ask does anyone know does the 100 hours have a time limitation? Would my 160 hours built 2 years ago still valid?

Do I still have to re sit the PPL level of aviation law and human performance exams?

Thank you very much.

rudestuff
28th Apr 2017, 20:21
There shouldn't be a time limit for the hours. If you have EASA exam passes, they count for CPL, PPL and LAPL. You just need to take the PPL skill test. The only stumbling block might be exam validity.

momo95
28th Apr 2017, 21:05
Why are you looking to move and fly in EASA if you are a Cathay cadet?

Transsonic2000
30th Apr 2017, 12:17
If you have the legal right to life and work in the UK (or a other EU state) why don't you go and get a full EASA (frozen) ATPL, since you've already mastered the biggest obstacle by passing the theoretical exams (they are good for 36 month after passing the last exam). You'd only need to have 200 hr total time, the hours which you're missing could be flown at a EU flight school (e.g. Poland, they offer quite reasonable prices) in preparation for the EASA CPL/IR checkride.

CXKA
1st May 2017, 08:25
Were the EASA exams done in FTA? If so are you sure they can count for EASA if actually done for HK CAD license?

Dreamlinerwannabe
2nd May 2017, 21:50
Thank you for all the input guys.

I am purely getting the PPL in the UK just to enjoy the flying of GA again.

After 2 weeks, CAA finally replied my email that I would have to re take the ground school exams at a PPL level again because my ATPL results have expired after 2 years.

I would also have to do a PPL skill test as you guys said.

And yes the EASA ATPLs were done in FTA.

Thank you very much.