PDA

View Full Version : UK mobile 'phone contracts

Capt Chambo
2nd Jul 2002, 11:39
I am looking into my present mobile 'phone contract. Basically I hardly use it so the monthly line rental is usually the largest part of the total monthly bill. If I make any calls they are usually work related so I claim their cost back. I am not looking for the newest and flashest 'phone and I certainly have no use for a WAP function. And I really have no need for "free" minutes. I do need global roaming throughout Europe

The best deal I have found so far is from One-Tel who will sell you a SIM card for £10 (This assumes you use your own handset, otherwise they will sell you one from their catalogue). Line rental is £4.99 a month, with no charge for itemised billing. Calls are routed via the Vodafone network as best as I can gather so coverage is OK and the call charges are competitively priced, but as I said this is not a huge priority for me. I already use One-Tel for my land line with on line billing and that seems to work OK, and because of that I can get instant global roaming without having to submit a deposit.

No I don't work for One-Tel!

Do any PPRuNers have any experience of One-Tels mobile 'phone deals either good or bad? Or can anyone recommend a better deal ?

peeteechase
2nd Jul 2002, 12:22
Hi Skip,
I have just bought a Nokia 3310 for my daughter at "The Link"
100 quid, pay-as-you-go on O2 or T (1-to1), accessory pack, plus 25 quid call credit. Bargain!

ATB, ptc

BOAC
2nd Jul 2002, 17:47
Capt Chambo - cannot email you, but I think I can better that! (No line rental)

Please email me

JetMender
6th Jul 2002, 21:31
If your present contract is with Orange, you could use your existing phone & change it to their Virgin equivelent OVP tarrif. This has no line rental, free itemised billing (necessary if you claim back call costs), free voice mail & worldwide roaming. UK calls cost 15p for first 5 mins then 5p/min for remainder of day. (No free mins).
You could get same deal from Virgin - get their SIM card to use in your own phone (assuming it is dual band as they use 1-2-1 / T mobile's network) or buy a non-subsidised phone from them.
Pay-as-you-go phones are unlikely to have itemised billing with limited & expensive roaming.