PDA

View Full Version : Kai Tak

AN2002
25th Jun 2002, 14:26
The last time I came to HK was in 1997 (during Colonial era) and I landed at Kai Tak. It was old, but I loved landing. The space was so damn tight. Now that CLK is operational, what has happened to the land that Kai Tak once stood on? I'll guess it's been bulldozed for more highrise.

sigma
25th Jun 2002, 18:13
Actually, there are no high rise buildings.
There is at least one on the approach to Kai Tak.
EX-CX HQ, HEACO have been bulldozed over.
Kai Tak pax building is still around.
RWY 13 threshold is a car park or bus depot.
The part of the high speed taxi exit from 13 has been dug up.
But Kai Tak will be around for some time.

Alpha Leader
25th Jun 2002, 22:19
The southern end of the runway is now a golf driving range. Most of the concrete surface of the apron has been dug up and recycled.
There are grand plans for a comprehensive redevelopment of the Kai Tak site (together with some of the older industrial areas adjoining to the west), but delays have crept in due to difficulties in buying back all the land/strata titles involved.

AN2002
26th Jun 2002, 06:23
A bit sad that it's no longer operational, it was a classic airport, but never the less CLK will grow to be the best in the world.

Aluminium Overcast
26th Jun 2002, 09:19
I know most of you know about this website but for those that don't , some great pictures and memories from Kai Tak. The website was put together by Paul Ashworth, an Australian Air traffic controller at Kai Tak.

http://home.netvigator.com/~pashford/kaitak_photos_1.html

a taste....
http://home.netvigator.com/~pashford/images/m-npcgo2-2.jpg

akerosid
30th Jun 2002, 10:24
It was the place of dreams. It was once said of Queen Mary (Tudor) that when she died, "Calais" would be found engraved on her heart (although everyone else thought it should be written "callous"!); I think many pilots, enthusiasts, etc. would say the same of Kai Tak.

CLK is no doubt a very impressive airport, but it's just like any other airport now and would it kill them to provide somewhere decent for photography; Kai Tak was very much part of the spirit of Hong Kong; hair raising, exciting, vibrant, loud and noisy. Something of HK died with that great old airport.

Girl Flying School
30th Jun 2002, 16:09
An observation deck would really be nice at CLK. Where do the airport officials expect us to launch our "Stinger" missiles, the Airport Express terminal???:)

The closes thing to an observation deck is at the HACTL cargo terminal, top floor cafe of the airport workers lounge, it has floor to ceiling glass. It overlooks the threshold of 25L and the whole pax terminal. The panoramic view goes all the way to the HAECO hangars! Really nice place to have a cup of java.

Towering Q
2nd Jul 2002, 03:19
Aluminium Overcast, thanks for the link, that is a great site.

I can still remember my first trip to HK in Sept 87. I was fortunate enough to have scored a RHS window seat on an early evening approach to 13.

I made my way down the stairs, Q747 parked along way from the terminal, and was immediately hit by 95% humidity, 30 something degrees and a unique 'atmosphere' that only HK/Kai Tak can provide. What a rush.:cool:

sigma
2nd Jul 2002, 17:38
I agree with you Towering Q.
I was very fortunate to go to Kai TAK many times.
Left on its last night of operation.

kwaiyai
27th Jul 2002, 20:47
The HK aero club are still there or where last june 01 but apparently have to fly from Sek Kong the old RAF helo base in new territories. The chinese Military only allow GA at weekends too. Its a shame.
Regards, KW.:)