PDA

View Full Version : Squawk Code...

AuthorGary
24th Jul 2013, 20:58
Sorry to bother you guys but I'm writing a book and want to be able to upload a computer virus to a 747

I thought I could maybe do this using the aircrafts transponder. Is there a computer connection between ATC and the transponder when squawk is used;)

Many thanks. Gary in the UK

DaveReidUK
25th Jul 2013, 06:38
I'm writing a book and want to be able to upload a computer virus to a 747You don't say whether you're writing fiction or a terrorist instruction manual. :O

Assuming it's the former, have a read of this:

Hijacking airplanes with an Android phone (http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=14733)

It's deeply flawed (and was vigorously debated on PPRuNe when first published), but it will give you a fair amount of information on how it's (purportedly) possible to do something along the lines you describe.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Jul 2013, 06:57
There really are some loonies in this world....

dagowly
25th Jul 2013, 10:51
ATC radar computers should be standalone also, so there's an issue if you're trying to 'hack' into it from your mums basement.

Lightning Mate
25th Jul 2013, 11:29
Think about this.

Sites and threads such as this one are monitored by the UK and US intelligence/security agencies................

Talkdownman
25th Jul 2013, 13:03
I am beginning to doubt that they will find any...

AuthorGary
25th Jul 2013, 19:49
You don't say whether you're writing fiction or a terrorist instruction manual.

Fiction!

Think about this.

Sites and threads such as this one are monitored by the UK and US intelligence/security agencies................

I have and the evidence is there that I'm writing a book and live in a FREE country where literary works explore all manner of things hoho!

Thankyou for your help guys. I'll have a look at the info provided.

aluminium persuader
30th Jul 2013, 22:01
There was something on the BBC News website fairly recently, about a bloke who claimed it was possible to hack into (I think) the FMC via the datalink, although it said that the parts he'd used, which were sourced (again, IIRC) via e-bay or similar were obsolete and so more vulnerable that modern parts.

DaveReidUK
31st Jul 2013, 06:48
There was something on the BBC News website fairly recently, about a bloke who claimed it was possible to hack into (I think) the FMC via the datalink, although it said that the parts he'd used, which were sourced (again, IIRC) via e-bay or similar were obsolete and so more vulnerable that modern parts.Same guy as in the report I referenced above:

BBC News - Hacker targets flight deck computer systems (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22107433)