PDA

View Full Version : Amphibious C-130 Hercules

durbin
19th Apr 2002, 02:11
Does anyone actually have any information on this project. I read somewhere that they have conducted initial tests on extra drag etc. But whats happening now, will the version go into production or what?

Cyclic Hotline
19th Apr 2002, 02:38
Haven't read anything about this project in a while - it's a fascinating concept, as amphibs offer great capability in remote areas, or areas where there is either no infrastructure, or it has been destroyed either in warfare or by natural disaster.

Lakes, rivers and the sea are readily accesible in so many instances. I am always surprised that more amphibs aren't used in relief activities. Although you have the weight penalty to consider, so many locations are built on the water or easily accesible to water, that you automatically have a workable area to operate from - rather than an airport, often far from where you want to be anyway.

Most ambhibs also have the capability to operate from very rough runways (believe me!) and offer a practicality that approaches that of a helicopter, with the additional performance improvements that a similat sized fixed-wing aircraft offers over it's helicopter equivalent.

Anyone have any more info on it?

The only link I could find is this. (http://www.spectrumwd.com/c130/articles/float.htm)

Mike Cusack
20th Apr 2002, 19:40
Lockheed, in the late sixties looked at several options including a two engined version. I remember seeing a "water tunnel" pic looking at hull shape. It was about that time Shorts were also exploring a flying boat version of their Belfast aircraft ... ah what might have been .... any one remember the bomber version of the VC10?