PDA

View Full Version : Use of WiFi - more.

ExSp33db1rd
26th Jun 2012, 01:21
I recently asked a question on WiFi reception, and subsequently thought that I had solved the issue with a computer ‘Tune up’, but have since noticed features that make me wonder ?

a) Is the strength of the signal I am personally receiving dependant upon the number of computer users demanding service at the same time from the same transmitter ?

b) Is there any way that I can boost the signal that I am receiving as a user at the end of the line – so to speak ?

I noticed today that when I signed on I was receiving 5 ‘bars’ on the signal strength meter, i.e. a strong signal, but during my perusal of my e-mail the strength dropped down to 2 ‘bars’ and the connection dropped off, but about 15 mins later I was back to 5 ‘bar’ strength again and was able to complete my task. I’ve mentioned that the Router/Modem/transmitter owner allows others to share the facility, so is the number of uses at any one time a factor?

One used to be able to buy a TV signal booster to attach to ones’ TV set in areas of poor reception, and as Wireless is Wireless is it possible to do the same for received WiFi signals ?

Thanks, sorry if this is basic !
ExS.

Bushfiva
26th Jun 2012, 04:22
Signal strength is not based on the number of users. Throughput is (due to contention for a finite resource). Fluctuating signal strength can depend on many factors, including interference from other wifi signals and anything else operating in the ISM band. Also, the way the number of displayed bars are calculated can be close enough to random.

Milo Minderbinder
26th Jun 2012, 08:08
not only is the numder of displayed bars random, its non-standardized and arbitrary: there is no standard meaning!
Fluctuation could be due to a number of things: interference from other networks, microwaes, garage/door remotes, plasma screens, baby alarms, mobile phones, the list is endless
Scan your area with something like WiFiFoFum and see just whats wifi is on what channel - and put yours, as far as posible on a free channel (note that channels overlap...)
N rated routers tend to have a more powerful signal - though to benefit you also need N rated wireless adpators in the PC
Finally you can get wireless extenders - effectively wireless relay units. I've had mixed success with these, and some are a PITA to setup, but the last couple I've installed have been OK
What router do you have? If we know that someone here should be able to suggest a matching unit

Saab Dastard
26th Jun 2012, 10:57
Win 7 has built-in command-line tools that can give you information about all the visible wifi networks:

netsh wlan show all

If you have a desktop PC with a wifi card, the aerial is often blocked from the signal path by the PC case, so a cheap external aerial is an excellent way to improve signal strength.

SD

ExSp33db1rd
27th Jun 2012, 03:23
Thanks again guys, all good stuff.

I gather that signal extenders only extend the range as repeater transmitters i.e. push out the same strength signal as they receive, and don't - maybe can't - 'boost' ?

One area has been resolved - the router owner has admitted that they had a connection problem with the router, which was why I wasn't getting the 802.11n signal when I first started this !

At least it's nice to know that there was a problem !