PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating

jayemm
17th Apr 2001, 16:50
I've got my PPL and IMC (haven't used it enough though, even with the dreadful weather). Just over 100 hours (PA28). Is it worth doing the Night Rating? What's the benefit and what's involved? I thought it might be useful ready for when the nights draw-in again.

InTheAir
17th Apr 2001, 18:30
Since you have an IMC, the training requirements are:

5 hours night flying of which:

(1) at least 3 hours dual instruction including at least 1 hour night navigation

(2) 5 take-offs and 5 landings as PIC.

(3) 1 hour solo flying.

In at least one instance take-off and landing should be separated by a complete departure from, and rejoining of, the aerodrome traffic pattern.

A 'night' rating allows you to fly during:

the time between half-an-hour after sunset and half-an-hour before sunrise, sunset and sunrise being determined at surface level.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by InTheAir (edited 17 April 2001).]

TooHotToFly
17th Apr 2001, 21:41
Those are the old rules. Under JAA there is now no requirement to complete an hours solo or to leave the circuit.

InTheAir
17th Apr 2001, 21:57
Yep. Your right.

Genghis the Engineer
18th Apr 2001, 10:59
The benefit is obvious, you can fly at night.

I'd recommend it, it's a magical experience, no thermals, little traffic, and tremendous views. Just check what time they turn out the lights at your destination! (I had them turned out on me as I turned finals once, fortunately it was a bright night).

G

DB6
19th Apr 2001, 00:29
TooHotToFly, do you have a reference for that JAR night qualification info? I have been teaching as per InTheAir's post as I was told that was the requirement on my (JAR) night instructor course. I was not aware that the requirement had changed.

Bear Cub
19th Apr 2001, 07:43
I was curious about the comment (InTheAir) saying "Since you have an IMC rating...."

What difference would it be without an IMC rating?

InTheAir
19th Apr 2001, 13:19
What I meant was that since he has covered the necessary instrument work he does not have to incorporate that into his training. The 2-3 instrument hours required have already been covered through doing his IMC.

TooHotToFly
19th Apr 2001, 13:58
DB6 - JAR-FCL 1.125 (c) / SUBPART C - PPL (A)

It doesn't stipulate an hours solo and neither does the application form so I assume that it is not required.

Noggin
22nd Apr 2001, 23:52
As there is no requirement to do any additional Dual Instrument Instruction for a Night Qualification, the IMC rating no longer has any relevance with regard to credits.

Instructors should bear in mind that the only dual instrument training under the new system will have been Ex 19 lasting probably no more than an hour, so some additional instrument training may be necessary in practice.

JAR -FCL night requirements are in JAR-FCL 1.125(c). There have been no changes to this requirement since it was printed over 4 years ago.

juswonnafly
23rd Apr 2001, 13:06
Jayemm

I fully agree with Genghis on this one.

Flying at night is fantastic! The air is usually calm, visibility excellant and little traffic on the radio. Other a/c are easier to see.

You don't need a practical reason, just spend the money and fill yer boots!

It will as likely only take you 5 hours to do. If you want for the summer though do it now before the nights start even later.

Best of luck

JWF :)

300hrWannaB
24th Apr 2001, 01:31
Night flying's great. Especially x-country.
The official benefit is that the rating (as it was) allows you to take passengers at night. Without one you can still fly solo at night. Personally, I put it in the box marked "extra safety precautions" for those occasions when the darkness reaches your airfield before you do. Like having a maglite in the bag "just in case".
Just one proviso though. Lots of people put their airstrips to bed at night, so it is not a "get out of jail free" card.
Still it's good fun, and does not expire.

:) :) :)

Cahlibahn
24th Apr 2001, 10:58
eh? not for us mere mortal PPL and BCPL holders. (A CPL does include the priveleges of IMC rating and night qualification.)

(d) He shall not fly as pilot in command of such an aeroplane at night unless his licence includes a night rating (aeroplanes) or a night qualification (aeroplanes).

ANO Sched 8, Part A Section 1

twistedenginestarter
24th Apr 2001, 11:16
The reason you must have a night rating is the same as why you have headlamps on your car. It's dark much of the time due to the design of the Solar System. ;)

jayemm
25th Apr 2001, 13:46
Thanks for all the views! Very helpful. I've concluded that it would be great to get the Night Rating, that there aren't any tricks due to having an IMC rating, and that I need headlights. I'm told that one potential drawback to flying at night is the limited number of airfields with lights in the UK, and no US features like switching on the lights via a certain frequency. Is this a big deal for us private pilots?

twistedenginestarter
25th Apr 2001, 14:43
jayemm

Heh - who said you needed runway lights? Get your missus to park down the end of the runway with her headlamps on. She can also check the runway for obstacles whilst you're carefully positioning yourself for your GPS approach. :)

Normal technique - round out with a bit of power, keeping your eye on the horizon. Won't work for Public Transport but that's not you is it?

Last time I did any VFR night flying I went into cloud. You can't see it coming so you don't expect it. Consequently I spent the next 5 minutes with about 20 degrees of bank on, going all over the place. Wasn't a problem but reminds you reality isn't always the same as practice.