PDA

View Full Version : Bottom 5 US international airlines

catch
26th Aug 2010, 06:17
I have an assignment that requires me to list and rank the bottom 5 US international airlines in 2009, based on fleet size, passenger miles/km abd destinations. I have searched online for days, can anyone help me or give some guidence as to where i could find this information.

Thankyou

Peter47
27th Aug 2010, 16:01
For passengers Try the following website:

Contents (http://ostpxweb.dot.gov/aviation/usstatreport.htm)

that is " http: / ostpxweb . dot . gov / aviation / usstatreport . htm " (Pprune seems to edit web addresses bit clicking on the link should work)

Download Yearly (Year-to-date for current year) U.S. to International T-100 Segment Data Downloadable Raw Data (*.txt format) for passengers for 2009 into an excel spreadsheet, sort into columns & do a pivot table. Unfortunately it will only give passengers, not miles or km, so you will have to get stage lengths from the OAG or a website and calculate them for the smaller airlines.

You could also do a pivot table of destinations by airline.

I just hope that you have good spreadsheet skills as you will need them!

Are we talking about the smallest airline that flies internationally or the smallest international programme. As a reverse example, Heathrow used to claim to be the world's busiest international airport by which it meant that it handled the most international passengers, but it could be argued that the title was actually held by ORD or ATL (whichever was busiest at the time) as they were international airports with more passengers albeit fewer of them international. Get my point?

A word of warning, the report gives sectors actually flown rather than scheduled, including diversions (thus if an LHR - JFK flight has a medical emergency and diverts you might see LHR - BGR or YYT - JFK). This could give rise to an oddity. If an airline that regularly flies from JFK to Buffalo (say) diverts once to YYZ it might easy rank as the smallest international airport.

Try enthusiast websites for fleet sizes.

I'm not sure if this is helpful or (true to form for me confusing) but I hope that it gives you some ideas.