PDA

View Full Version : Deauville Anybody?

Barney Stubble
14th Mar 2001, 19:40
My old Pooleys being out of date has no valid tel. no. for Deauville, France. The new Pooleys does not even have Deauville in it. Has anybody got a no. for me?

Much appreciated

Barney

AC-DC
14th Mar 2001, 23:50
ATC - 0231656531
OPR CCI - 0231656565
FAX - 0231654646

Copird from Botlang 20/10/2000.

Beagler
15th Mar 2001, 00:44
Thought that this was going to be the location of the next fly-in... how about it?

B

Rattus
15th Mar 2001, 04:50
Dismal place. Jobsworth in the traffic office tried to force us to park tail on to quite a stiff breeze, because head to wind made the place look untidy.
Go to Caen.
Rattus

2Donkeys
15th Mar 2001, 14:54
I think that Rattus may be a little harsh in his judgement. My main gripe would be with ATC who are well known for their dubious practices. These include:

Clearing aircraft to land, whilst traffic is still on the runway back-tracking

Disregarding separation between big and small

Failing to pass (on occasions) quite critical traffic information on French-speaking aircraft to English speaking pilots

On the positive side, the restaurant at the airport has just changed ownership, and is reputed to be very much more friendly than it was. Additionally,the joint towns of Trouville and Deauville are well worth a look round. Les Vapeurs de Trouville on the front at Trouville is especially good.

-2Donkeys

[This message has been edited by 2Donkeys (edited 15 March 2001).]

arrow2
15th Mar 2001, 17:24
2 Donks - Been there many times, always enjoy the place. ATC can be a bit hit and miss - I was once on finals with at least 1 mile separation between another light aircraft and my PA28 and he said "you are too close, go around"! Complied of course even though the other aircraft was clear of the runway about 30 seconds before I touched down...

Trouville nice, Honfleur spectacular - good place for next fly in, fingers crossed re the wx, but I just get a little nervous doing the crossing Littlehampton - Le Havre.

A2

JP5A
15th Mar 2001, 22:47
Barney

The latest phone numbers from Aerad are:-
ATC 00 33 2 31 64 04 04.
Fax no is correct from AC.DC
Why ring them?Just call em up on frequency on transfer from Paris.
Frequencies are:-
App 119 35 120.35
Tower 118.3
AFIS 120.35 11935
ILS/DME 111.55 (RWY 30)
VOR 110.2 DVL
Do get up to date charts for your safety.
Often ILS is u/s and if weather is poor(very often as elevation is 479ft)they will give you vectors into Caen so plan this as an alternate.
Funny situation when I last planned for DVL.
When I was cleared to QSY by Paris I asked them for their weather and rwy in use.They informed me that they could not give me the weather and had I not checked the notams which informed that this facility was unavailable.They also told me the glideslope was u/s.Sorry! didn't check notam but we now have 15 dme to run and leaving FL for 2000ft
and what is your cloudbase.
Not telling you!
If you don't tell me I will have to try a localiser only approach and I need to know if base is above 850ft QNH to not bust MDA.
Not telling!
Now 5dme can you go outside and have a look!!
Standby.O.K.Cloud base approx 300ft suggest I give you vectors for ILS Caen
Thanks.Ended up stuck at Caen with hire car at Deauville.
Vive la Francais!!!
You have been warned

Rattus
16th Mar 2001, 01:25
Deux donks
Of the 52 French aerodromes I have so far visited, a good 30 plus have been "FR Uniquement", and it does wonders for the warmth of the welcome when you've poled up speaking O Level French on the radio. With a reasonable working knowledge of the language, you can derive enough SA to proceed in safety, keeping as ever a good lookout. Yes, sometimes things are a bit chaotic, but isn't that part of the charm of the place? On the whole, I find the published RT procedures in France a good deal less cumbersome than ours. :) :) :)
Rattus

Diplomate
16th Mar 2001, 17:22
I'm hoping to make my first foray into France this Summer having gained my PPL 18 months ago (it's a long way from Cumbria!!)

Although I have basic "schoolboy" French, I'm not sure how I would cope with RT in French. Is there a publication giving translations of common RT terminology.

Many thanks

arrow2
16th Mar 2001, 18:02
Diplomate,

Have a look at the attached - go into the French RT for dummies link:-

http://www.higher.flyer.co.uk/html/flight_planning.html

Enjoy the trip - flying in France is easy and superb!

a2

2Donkeys
16th Mar 2001, 22:37
Nobody could disagree with the idea that is good to learn the local language. It is also very true that many French airfields operate either in French only or by so-called "auto-information", a sort-of French-only UNICOM.

Deauville is not one of those.

Deauville offers full high-quality dual language ATC, but makes the common mistake of not passing all the traffic information that might be relevant to non-French speakers. I say common, because I encounter the same thing flying into such major airports as Le Bourget, Bordeaux, Nice and Lyon. It is as true for the IFR system as for the VFR. It is an endemic problem in French ATC that has been much-discussed in other Pprune forums. There are many who feel that lost situational awareness on the part of non-French flight crews has led to accidents. The most recent headline-grabbing example was the tragic runway incursion involving a British aircraft at CDG.

So, by all means practise your French, and keep your ears open. Don't choose nominally English ATC frequencies on which to practise that schoolboy French because by doing so, you are placing yourself in the wrong in the event of any confusion. Where French is the only option, enjoy yourself, but proceed with caution. :)

[This message has been edited by 2Donkeys (edited 16 March 2001).]