PDA

View Full Version : Solo Cross Country Qualifier...Plymouth-Bristol-Compton-Plymouth!!

Rusty Cessna
28th Feb 2001, 01:02
Hi there all.

I am soon to be flying on my Solo Cross Country Qualifier from Plymouth to Bristol to Compton Abbas and back to Plymouth.

I have to say im a tad scared about this, simply because its intimidating and when I did my dual QXC I made many silly little errors due to extreme fatigue. These include silly things like planning errors and bad radio skills and position reports, keeping height that sort of thing.

Not to sound like im boasting but now I have done some more solo local nav I have retained my usual good standard of Nav and radio and have perhaps improved my confidence a bit.

Even though my instructor has faith in me and thinks I am ready, I do not. I'm scared that I may get lost and not be able to find my way (sounds stupid I know). I reckon that flying the headings and keeping the altitude will be ok, and that my RT will be good, I just make sure I write down and say to myself everything before I go on the air.

Basically what I would like to ask is if any of you have ANY tips and advice for this trip. If possible can you make it as detailed as you can, because I'm quite worried. I have to get a high vis jacket also.

Another thing I am interested to hear is how you go about passing overhead airfields, radio wise, and how do you format your Initial contact/En Route calls for such a long routed flight, an example would be ace.

Thanks for taking the time to read and help me on this, Its means a lot.

Rusty

FNG
28th Feb 2001, 02:09
It is natural to feel nervous before you start. If you are really sure you're not ready, ask for another dual session first, but your instructor is probably right in sending you off when he thinks you are OK. Believe in and stick to the system you have been taught. Dead reckoning does exactly what it says on the tin, if you follow the instructions.

If flying over or near an airfield in uncontrolled airspace, without entering the ATZ, a call is not mandatory but is courteous and may help in alerting you to local VFR traffic and vice versa. The first call should simply be "[station name] [callsign]". When the other station answers, the basic thing to get across is: who you are, where you come from, where you are going, where you are now and what you want. You must of course call if you want to enter the ATZ.

Be aware of the limitations of the station you are taking to: an a/g station can't give an FIS, an FIS can't give you radar, and neither can give you flight instructions. Check the service provided, opening hrs etc, before you set off. Small airfields with A/G may not be on air all the time even when open, so if no answer you can transmit position and intention to "[airfield name] traffic". Sometimes another aircraft on freqency may answer with runway details etc.
A good way to practice RT for real and for free is by talking to London Info when flying around.
If you do get lost, or even think you are lost, do not hesitate to call 121.5. You can always ask for a training fix. If you feel you should declare a Pan, do so: no one is marking your card. I have only been really lost once so far, and should have called D&D straight away.

Good luck. Most people enjoy the QXC.

(Edited for mysteriously recurring typos)

[This message has been edited by FNG (edited 28 February 2001).]

SuperGuppy
28th Feb 2001, 12:27
Try and relax and enjoy it. Your instructor wouldn't send you unless he was sure you'd make it back (or would he....?)

Make sure you have breakfast or whatever before you go though as it can be a long day and low blood sugar levels make for poor piloting.

I found that running through the flight in my head while out and about meant that I knew what to expect and was as prepared for events as you can be (although I did get some funny looks while requesting a MATZ crossing in Tescos)

Yogi-Bear
28th Feb 2001, 13:13
You have a vivid imagination and a touch of stage-fright. Once you get going, it'll be all right. It may be years before you do a flight without niggling mistakes. That is normal. You'll do fine - enjoy the freedom! It is an achievement you will remember for a long time.

------------------
Yaberdaberdoo. It's OK Boo-Boo.

[This message has been edited by Yogi-Bear (edited 28 February 2001).]

AC-DC
28th Feb 2001, 13:40
First of all, Good Luck.
You already got very good advice. I would say that the most important is to eat and drink (but not to the point that you feel heavy) about an hour before you go, also take some drink and chocolate bars with you.
Once I was flying while I was dehydrated. I made all possible mistakes. The instructor and me did not realise it until we stop for a meal, I drank 1.5l of iced water in 20min.
Regarding the radio call sequence, you can find it on your kneeboard or if you don't have one look at this month's Flyer Magazine which have an article about GPS navigation. They have provided a PLOG that also suggests a way of how to make a call.
Enjoy the day.

Bluebeard
28th Feb 2001, 14:25
Rusty,

Don't sweat it too much, you will be just fine. You will probably make some mistakes, this happens to all of us and don't let these get you down.

When I first started doing XCs I nearly fell off my chair when the first turning point arrived near as dammit as estimated on the plan (fortunately I didn't actually fall off the chair as I would have got jammed in the rudder pedals). As FNG says, this stuff really does work, all it needs is faith in your no doubt careful planning.

Re RT, there is rarely a single correct answer as to who you should talk to (aside from obviously any ATZs/MATZs you wish to penetrate). Top tip is to plan ahead who you want to contact, and the kind of things you want to say to them. Also, don't be in huge hurry to talk when changing frequencies, take the opportunity to listen what other aircraft and ATC are doing and take a moment to be clear what you are going to say.

I enjoyed my qualifying XC much more than my solo - go for it!

eric-the-red
28th Feb 2001, 14:59
I agree with Bluebeard, I found the QXC to be a much more stirring achievement than going solo. I donīt think I ever smoked 5 fags as quickly as I did when I arrived at Shoreham - how the hell was I going to get back to Wycombe, puff puff, stopping at Southampton, puff puff, and not get lost? Well I, like thousands before me, managed it fine. So will you.

Drink plenty of water, eat flapjacks, and donīt worry...as soon as youīre in the air it will all fall to hand.

pulse1
28th Feb 2001, 20:21
Rusty Cessna,

In my long life I have done two solo QXT's spread over nearly thirty years and both of them stand out as highlights. My second one was not very different from yours and I strongly recommend the quality of FIS (or even RIS) from Yeovilton if they are open. I found them so helpful that I would almost prefer to go when they are open if this is an option. This was particularly valuable approaching and leaving Bristol where efficient hand overs took out a lot of the pressure.

The other tip I would give is to not forget that Bristol is 620 amsl and Compton is 810 amsl. I needed a gentle reminder at Bristol to check QFE before I got too low.

Edited because I forgot to wish you luck

------------------
"If you keep doing what you've always done, you will keep getting what you've always got"

[This message has been edited by pulse1 (edited 28 February 2001).]

Genghis the Engineer
28th Feb 2001, 20:58
My advice, from a few worrying cross-countries of my own.

(1) Let yourself stop and have a quick cup of tea at at-least one stop in the middle.

(2) Don't try to approach Compton from any direction except directly North.

(3) Plan for getting lost, look for unmissable line features you can guarantee finding (motorways usually) and then can follow to a known point, and then carry on. Even if you never use the got-lost plan, having it there helps psychologically.

(4) Take a couple of mars bars.

(5) Fly to landmarks first, and compass second - just make sure you pick utterly unmistakeable landmarks. That way, if you got your sums a bit wrong, the line on the map will still get you there. Even add a few miles if it guarantees overflying some very clear landmarks, because when you've done that, any navigational errors are gone when you know EXACTLY where you are.

(6) If you are in roughly the right area and can't spot the airfield, if all else fails, look for a low or descending aeroplane and follow it.

G

FNG
28th Feb 2001, 22:05
Two additional thoughts:-

I don't know the joining procedure at Bristol, but if they will let you join overhead you can take your time to ID the correct runway.

When departing Bristol, have a pen to hand when you report ready, in case you get given detailed departure and climbout instructions and are asked for a readback. I remember being asked to readback at Norwich on my QXC and stumbling a little as I hadn't written the clearance on my pad.

Agree v much with comments re blood sugar, energy levels etc. Have snacks, have tea breaks, and put a bottle of water on the seat beside you.

Don't be surprised if you burst into song on the final leg.

Rusty Cessna
28th Feb 2001, 22:19
Thanks for all the advice people, I reckon I will be ok when I get going, FNG- Neither would I, I started singing Ride Of The Valyries on my first solo! hehe

Rusty
:)

DodgyFlyer
28th Feb 2001, 22:34
I was a bit apprehensive on my QXC, but you will never get lost.

If you think you are lost start orbiting your present position and then on the RT request a frequency change to 121.50

Then say your callsign and that you request a 'practice training fix', and as quick as a flash those fantastic RAF controllers at West Drayton will give you your exact position. Then just switch back to your original RT frequency, sort yourself out in the orbit, knowing where you are resume heading and carry on to complete your QXC with a sigh of relief, strong drink and hopefully a smile.

richardpw
28th Feb 2001, 22:51
Hi Rusty!

When I did my QXC it was Plymouth-Bristol-Bournemouth and return.

I did the first leg as a direct track, first talking to Exeter, then Yeovilton(who only open during weekdays.) Then call Bristol approach, who will probably route you to "Cheddar" which is a large reservour where you may have to orbit over. After a small hill its quite easy to see 09/27 and you will change to tower frequency. You'll be given just as much priority over any airliner or other. On departure, tune to ATIS and write everything down, then call tower e.g. "Bristol Tower G-ABCD information golf QNH 1020 request taxi" etc. You will have to read back your clearance as you are in class D airspace

I often use QDM requests just to confirm my position, although only airfields with VDF have them. You can also use VOR's to check positions or ask for a RIS.

On the flight back to Plymouth, the coast will help with direction, and Exeter is available if short of daylight etc.

If in doubt, ask ATC.

And triple check your nav log before you depart.

Good Luck

New Bloke
28th Feb 2001, 23:14
Rusty,

All of the above is great advice, one important thing, if ten miles into your first leg you still feel aprehensive and unsure, throw it away, turn around and head for home.

There is no shame what-so-ever in turning back.

But I bet that by the time you have trimmed for the cruise you will be wondering what you were worried about.

Good luck, enjoy one of the best days you will ever have.

stiknruda
1st Mar 2001, 00:10
You may be nervous, young man BUT I am dead envious.
What a great route: too far north = water

too far south = water

Lots of good advice here already - go fly and enjoy!

Stik

Aussie Andy
1st Mar 2001, 02:56
Hi Rusty,

Looking forward very much to hearing how you get on - as I'll not be far behind you! I did my first solo XC last weekend - Wycombe to Newport Pagnell and back via Westcott, only about 40 minutes all up.

Looking forward next weekend (wx permitting!) to second solo XC which will be Wycombe to Andover, then Blackbushe (land), and back to Wycome via WOD ndb near Reading.

Then it will be one dual XC Wycombe - Bournemouth (land) - Goodwood (land) - Blackbushe (land and back to Wycome; finaly followed thereafter by the same route in reverse solo for the QXC, in about 3 to 4 weeks with any luck!

I can't wait for it, to be honest! I have found every single step so far on the PPL course (started last April) to be totally satisfying, but I must say that the Nav so far is the best because it kind of brings it all together! It's whats its all about, after all!

I'm sure I'll also be a bit nervous - and I am very pleased for your post and all the replies, as I will also take advantage of all the advice offered, particularly the tea / Mars bars / water variety :)

So, I'll tell you how mine goes if you tell me how yours goes... Good Luck!

Andy

------------------
"Andy sang, Andy watched, Andy waited 'til his billy boiled..." (It was written for me!)

Cahlibahn
1st Mar 2001, 10:52
Rusty

I've emailed you at the address in your profile. (Too long for the forum)

DOC.400
1st Mar 2001, 15:42
Hi Rusty!
What excellent advice you have been given. I can only add the following:
1.Go throught the whole flight in your mind, including radio calls and what you expect the answers to be;
2.Call up "Llareggub Tower/Approach/Information.(Get this right -a Tower service will be most offended if u call them 'Information!!)' This is G-**** for Flight Information Service and MATZ penetration/zone transit" etc as necessary -they will IMMEDIATELY know what you require.
3. Maybe say, when asked for details, "G-*** on QXC." What do the others think? Or 'Tyro' if u r working a Mil frequency.
4. Plan for Shaftesbury as your IP when flying to Compton and approach AD from there -you can then join either way downwind or overhead as u wish. It IS a bggr to find in some light conditions. Although I was in Shaftesbury last Saturday and could see the airfield from ground level no prob!!
ABove all -enjoy!!
Regards
DOC.400
aka Lima Mike

long final
1st Mar 2001, 16:35
Rusty,

Singing and turning back ....

On my first solo XC ( taking in the manchester low level corridor ), 10 mins in and i felt just about as bad as I could, orbiting because I couldn't figure where I was, but being well aware where home was and very tempted to go there. Then it all clicked, no-one was watching me for all those little points but most of all it was up to me, I was on my own - and for the first time I really realised my FI knew what he was doing. The next hour to Hawarden and back was a breeze and a joy.

You will suprise yourself and in my case feeling of achievement landing away for the first time beat my first solo and even passing my skill test.

Remember, if all doesnt fall into place that day, you can always turnaround and do it all again another day, it'll still be waiting for you - I've had a number of days since then back on the ground for an early shower!

Just a footnote about the singing, somethink I have heard a lot of - My QXC to Caernarfon and found myself bellowing out a rendition of " didn't we have a lovely time the day ......" as I BOUNCED down the Menai Strait - thinking to myself "what the hell are you doing"? Great fun.

Enjoy.

Tricky Woo
1st Mar 2001, 17:46
My QXC was also a far greater high (pun intended) than my first solo. Absolutely wonderful during and after the event. It took me days to come down (Ouch, another pun). Chock to chock and later, you're going to have a blast. I envy you.

The only fly in the ointment is that there will never be another first quite like it... I knew it. Apart from when I went solo on a J3 Cub, that is. Er, and solo on a Chipmunk. Oh, and my first foray into aerobatics. That's it. Apart from those, nothing came close. Oh, hang on, also when...

Incidentally, my own compulsion to sing whenever flying solo is sadly incurable.

Sensible
1st Mar 2001, 19:28
Rusty,
I'm not familiar with the area you are flying but, make a contingency plan if only to help with the confidence. Make a note of all the frequencies where you can get help in the event of losing your position. Air Traffic Controllers are really helpful people and if you have to ask ask them for help, they will give you a sqawk number for your Mode C and they will be able to tell you exactly where you are and give you a heading to get backon track.

And do make sure that you have a strap on knee note pad, it takes a lot of the stress out of writing down those change of frequencies and headings!

If the weather looks marginal, don't press on!

And don't forget the GPS - just kidding!

Good luck!

New Bloke
2nd Mar 2001, 02:03
Isn't this a great Forum. Two pages and only great advice and good wishes. May the other forums (Fora) look upon us and weep.

Well done us ;) :)

Rusty Cessna
2nd Mar 2001, 02:27
Well!

What can I say? Such a simple question and yet so many excellent, kind and very helpfull replies! I never expected many replies so many I thank you all for your time.

I will certainly let you all know how I get on, I have to pass my Nav exam first, which im half way through revising, so if any tips are going for that then ace!! thanks very much again,

Blue skies,
Rusty

SpeedBird22
2nd Mar 2001, 03:10
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd give you my thoughts and let you all know what I'm up to. I had a nice little XC from Filton up to Shobdon, in Wales, this afternoon and it was fantastic. Everything went fine and I managed to get back on the ground at Filton in one piece and with a big grin on my face.

Anyway, I'm relatively inexperienced but I'd like to offer some tips that I've found useful.

Plan plan plan plan plan!!! By making 99.9% sure that you havn't made any major errors in planning, you'll rule out all but the most unforseen circumstances.

When something happens that is unforseen, you just have to do your best and use your common sense. Admittedly its not at all unforseen,but on my first solo XC to Abergavenny-Ledbury I was handed over to 'the en-route frequency' without being told any more. After a few moments of panicking and thinking 'i want to go home' I just got my head together and worked out it was probably London Info. What was the frequency? um um um...look on the map!! yeesss! That was one little bit of valuable experience.

I really find that correct, smooth use of the radio ensures a good unrushed trip. Especially, don't worry if you need to use plain English. At first I kept asking my instructor what I would do if I needed to ask this and that, and what I would say if they asked me XXXX but soon realised that in situations other than the standard 'ready for departure' 'finals' etc etc just speak English and relax.

Hopefully I'll be off on my QXC soon which'll be Filton-coventry-shobdon-filton so wish me luck. Its extremely reassuring to know that other people go through similar worries but almost always seem to come out on top. Its a good life :0)

Happy Flying,

SB22

Bluebeard
2nd Mar 2001, 13:44
Rusty,

Re the Nav exam, there's not much you will be asked to do beyond what you would normally do to plan a trip.

The most important thing is to know the planning process inside out as you will have to work pretty fast, in fact the Nav exam is a pretty intense affair compared to the majority of the other papers.

Not all of the questions relate to planning, there will almost certainly be some fairly obscure questions. Don't forget that your map has a legend on it which you can refer to during the exam, so don't forget to use it if needs be - make every mark count.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by Bluebeard (edited 02 March 2001).]

New Bloke
2nd Mar 2001, 21:09
Actually I don't think you can do that now, I believe they give you a section of the map without the legend. If they do let you take the full UK CAA chart with you, I think that you would have the answers to about 25% of the questions.

Just KNOW it. That is by far the best way.

NB

Noggin
2nd Mar 2001, 22:02
Rusty,

In case you hadn't noticed there is a big wide road that goes all the way from Plymouth to Bristol. Much too easy!!

Fatspice
3rd Mar 2001, 03:30
Rusty,
Remember the seven "P's":- Proper Preparation and Planning Prevents P**s Poor Performance. Make a note on your flight plan all the frequencies you think you will require. Stay calm and enjoy. You will be able to get away with little faults like too slow with your airspeed. Don't be afraid to call 121.50, they won't mind, in fact they will enjoy some work to do! My story is that I started my ppl back in July last year. I had the month off work to do it, but I lost 6 out of 20 days to weather. A week in Sept. only to lose 2.5 out of 5. Have just finished 4 days to try and finish but guess what? Yep. The weather again! Yesterday I was even sat in the aircraft ready to go on my XCQ when my FI came out to say it was binned due to it starting to snow at Tatenhill! Hey, sh*t happens. Here's wishing you the best of luck! And don't forget, ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Code Blue
3rd Mar 2001, 03:40
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">I believe they give you a section of the map without the legend. If they do let you take the full UK CAA chart with you, I think that you would have the answers to about 25% of the questions</font>

As a contrast, the Canadian PPL and CPL exam nav sections provide a chart with legends. For the ground section of the flight test it is not unusual for the DFTE to ask you to identify some obscure map symbol and they are looking to see if you use the map legend, either on the map or Canada Flight Supplement.

As for solo x/c, get a good nights sleep, plan the flight and fly the plan. I can still remember my long solo.

Good luck.

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-
[email protected]

straight feed
3rd Mar 2001, 12:10
Rusty- don't get carried away with all this radio lark- remember Aviate, then Navigate then if you get asked a question on the RT say "standby". Make sure all is well and going to plan then talk at your convenience. Plain clear English works real fine.
SF

BEagle
3rd Mar 2001, 13:57
Nowadays you may use a CAA chart with the standard map legend on it. Trying to remember what symbols on a map are is now a thing of the past - the legend is there for that specific purpose!

'Change to en-route frequency' is ATC shorthand for 'You're no longer of any interest to us. Change to whoever you think fit'. So London Info is probably the best thing to do unless you want a RIS from someone - do remember that London Info CANNOT give you ANY radar service. If in doubt, ask the ATC unit for a suggested frequency - they are there for your benefit, not the other way round! Sometimes they seem to forget that!!

FNG
3rd Mar 2001, 14:15
Re the Nav paper: it involves a bit more effort than the others because planning the route they give you takes up a good chunk of the time allowed for the paper. If you still get asked 1 in 60 rule track error questions as you used to be in the CAA papers, did you know that you can get the answer quickly with your whizz wheel?

Distance off track over distance travelled gives degrees to parallel track, distance off over distance to go gives degrees to intercept. Add the two results to get the heading correction required.

That's fine on the ground. In the air, use whatever technique your instructor favours and works for you (I do the simple "turn 40 degrees towards track and hold for one minute for each mile off track", which works OK if cruising in the 80 to 110 kts range) which also works for diverting around showers, towns (if below 15000 feet) etc.

New Bloke
3rd Mar 2001, 14:58
Rusty.

Re the last message. Please try VERY VERY hard to remain below 15000'

:) :) :)

edited for smiley trouble

[This message has been edited by New Bloke (edited 03 March 2001).]

Whirlybird
3rd Mar 2001, 23:38
Rusty,

You've got some good advice here and I can't think of much to add. The only thing I'd say is if you get lost and have to call D & D, DON'T pretend it's a Practise Pan. If you do, and they say they're too busy, what then? Better to be honest in the first place. There's no shame in getting lost; we all do it sometimes (some of us more often than others :) ), and D & D are there to help and for them it's all in a day's work.

It's natural to be nervous. I'm STILL nervous before I go flying - the main difference is now I'm used to the feeling. Like many others, my QXC was the highlight of my PPL - I loved it. So ENJOY - that's an order - and good luck.

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

Rusty Cessna
4th Mar 2001, 02:16
Aye Ma'am!

wat tyler
4th Mar 2001, 02:34
The big flat space to your right is a great place to put grub, bottles of water etc. This is what I did on mine from Carlisle - Teesside - Newcastle and it really helped to be able to take on fuel whenever I wanted it. One thing i can't recommend however, is squirting tomato ketchup down your front out of a sausage sandwich. Funny looks in Newcastle that day!

Relax and enjoy it.

LowNSlow
4th Mar 2001, 05:10
Despite the nerves RC, you will enjoy it. I was absolutely terrified at the prospect of trusting my own navigation. As somebody said earlier, dead reckoning does work. Once you're in the groove it'll all work.

Airborn Chick
7th Mar 2001, 18:34
Hey babe, dont sweat it. Think how great you'll feel after u dun it! As you have dun the route before just keep flying it through in your mind. Preflight planning is of course essential but the actual flight is bound to cause some minor changes. I was lucky in N.Ireland i had to do one stop (in aldergrove) but it was very tiring all the same. Good luck and happy flying (savour the challenge!)

Airborn Chick
7th Mar 2001, 18:34
Hey babe, dont sweat it. Think how great you'll feel after u dun it! As you have dun the route before just keep flying it through in your mind. Preflight planning is of course essential but the actual flight is bound to cause some minor changes. I was lucky in N.Ireland i had to do one stop (in aldergrove) but it was very tiring all the same. Good luck and happy flying (savour the challenge!)

Rote 8
9th Mar 2001, 21:14
Rusty

Great advice you have been given here. In your question you asked how to structure your radio calls on first contact with an ATSU. There is a standard mnemonic to help you remember this which is quite easy and I am surprised that it has not been mentioned.

TR PACER

Type
Routing
Position & Heading
Altitude / FL
Conditions (I.E. VFR)
Estimate
Request

E.g. Gloucester Approach GROTE

GTE Gloucester Approach Pass Message

GTE is a Cessna 152, Routing Wolverhampton to Filton, Currently overhead Worcester heading 175, 3000ft Barnsley Regional 1011, VFR, Estimate abeam the field 25, Request Flight Information Service.

The thing to remember is to work out an estimate before you start talking or you get to a point where you feel pretty stupid (like me 2 weeks ago!)

Incidentally if something incredible happens to the weather then I will be doing my QXC tommorow (Sat) - W,hampton - Cardiff - Gloucester. You have all been warned.

Enjoy it, im sure it will be great.

Cheers

Aussie Andy
9th Mar 2001, 21:46
ROTE 8 - I don't think the weather is going to be with you tomorrow mate!

300hrWannaB
13th Mar 2001, 04:48
If you've still not been, I'll offer one little tip. Compton Abbas is on top of the big hill in front of you. Yep 810 feet. I spent a lot of time on my first trip there staring at the valley fields until I read the map again.

PS Dead reckoning works, to within 30 seconds.

PPS Good luck & good fun.
:)

Tricky Woo
13th Mar 2001, 15:09
Rusty,
Get those written exams out of the way! I didn't and it nearly held me up needlessly just as I was ready for my GFT. As it turned out the weather was against me anyway, (many thanks Rain God), so no harm done.

I had the interesting experience of taking most of my exams in a mad flurry over a two week period. I did pretty well, but silly, silly, silly.

Which books are you using, by the way?

str12
14th Mar 2001, 00:28
Rusty (and anyone else that hasn't done Nav).

I did the NAV exam on Sunday and passed :-) so thought I'd give you the benefit of my experience.

1. Complete the flight plan.

Straightforward stuff you'd do for any QXC so know how to find an airfield/landmark/turning point given on Lat/Long then plot the Tracks (True).

Measure distances accurately in NM and True bearing.

The flight plan has W/V and Variation so you calc drift, Track (M), GS, time etc.

The flight plan stuff is easy but you also need to know what to do if, say

i) You are going to fly through a CTA and they refuse - what's the best alternative course.

ii) Approaching an airfiled and you need to divert - allow for Danger areas / AIAA etc or who to contact if overflying a MATZ or nearest service (look at chart).

2. Answer the other questions.
Fuel consumption
Meaning of symbols (I used my own chart with a legend)
Off-track problem
Available payload given: fuel in US gal. and its specific gravity, A/c weight, pilot's weight etc
Descend from height A to height B over given distance what is descent rate.
Quadrantal Rule and the Altitude/Flight Level conversion table (Thom, Nav, p124).
NDB - given relative bearing to NDB and 5 deg drift what is your Hdg.
VOR - expected but not in the one I did.

There's an extract from Pooleys for an airfield so you need to read it and answer a question on any restrictions stated e.g. Trevor Thom, Nav, p 185)

Not too dificult and my CFI thinks it is far more practical and less academic than 'the good old days' pre-JAR.

Best of luck on the QXC, I'm doing mine very soon: Shoreham - Southend - Manston - Shoreham.

str12

Teenyweeny ATC Cdt Cpl
14th Mar 2001, 23:52
A point and a question:

Point: if you've been using PPL Question and answer books, I have to say that my nav exam flight plan compared more with the IMC rating question flight plans - alternates, flight levels etc. Be prepared. And don't make silly mistakes like not adding both Track Error and Closure Angle (insert Homer Simpson "Doh!"). But if you get my exam paper, you'll have no problem whatsoever; it was in your neck of the woods. And I got a complete chart (with legends!)

Question: How long does a QXC pass count for? is there a time limit?

Good luck anyway m8.
-tacc

barbox
19th Mar 2001, 02:10
Hi great advice given here.

My first 'Attempt' at PPL QXC.

I returned to base midway through first leg as cloud base dropped to 2000ft some 1500ft less than forecast, I did a 180o and turned back, got a pat on the back when I got back as it was a 'good call' (waste of approx Ģ60 in flying time, but alive).

Second Attempt at QXC

I was sent in a different PA28 & one that I had never flown before, it had a 'self slaving HI' however some 15 miles outbound of EMA on my second leg I realised I was not where I should be!.

HI and Compass differed greatly and HI would not slave in to compass.

Decided to orbit and obtain a VOR fix, was 'working' RAF Waddington at the time, they called me to ask why I was orbitting, I told them HI was faulty, they offered 'directions' to next destination, I refused as I felt I could continue by compass (yes it was difficult!) and informed them I was on a QXC that was going OK so far (signed off at EMA)and I gave them a position report.

RAF Waddington were fantastic, fully understood the situation and just kept calling saying I was doing OK until I got visual with second landing airfield.

HI was fixed at 2nd Airport (while I had a few cigs!), and got back to base with a pass.

Secret was finding out I was not where I should have been very quickly, even though I was only about 7 miles from where I should have been!.

Motto of the story?, keep checking the map to make sure you are on track, and if in doubt turn back!.

Rusty Cessna
19th Mar 2001, 03:31
Just an update folks, QXC and Nav exam delayed to, yup you guessed it, college!

So when thou has done'est art exam et flight, thou shall let news disperse.

Thanks all.

Rusty