PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a used aircraft from this man?

Mariner9
9th Feb 2001, 15:06
Is there an aviation equivalent to Glass's guide for 2nd hand car prices?

stiknruda
9th Feb 2001, 16:25
Yep - an American publication called the Blue Book.

Very rare in the UK but not too hard to obtain a glimpse at one in the States.

Stik

Yogi-Bear
10th Feb 2001, 01:56
French mag, "Aviation & Pilote" publishes a list in the back each month. If you say what type, engine and year, I'll tell you what my two-year old copy says!

------------------
Yaberdaberdoo
That's OK Boo-Boo

Aussie Andy
10th Feb 2001, 03:28
You can apparently order the Blue Book online for between $255 (US edition) and $355 (International). See http://www.aircraftbluebook.com/

Andy

Sir George Caley
10th Feb 2001, 20:35
A word of caution about used car/aircraft guides.

Having worked in the motor trade (but have a proper job now) guides have to be regarded as just that - a guide

When selling your aircraft in the UK usig an American guide will be of limited use.

Far better I've found is to use Pilot/Flyer classifieds as a strarting point. But hey what do I know as I always seemed to buy high sell low!!!

Caley

IanSeager
11th Feb 2001, 08:14
If you know someone who is a member of AOPA US they have an online VRef guide on their website.
Ian

Tricky Woo
13th Feb 2001, 14:18
I AM a member of US AOPA: I never realised that VREF was online. Silly me, I should read their paperwork more carefully.

I had a look at VREF last night and then compared the US prices with those I read in the back of Pilot and Flyer. UK aircraft are roughly 50% more expensive. Ouch. Pretend the dollar prices are in sterling and it seems to match nicely.

Ever felt ripped off? No? Then learn to fly in Europe...

Mariner9
13th Feb 2001, 14:43
Thanks for the info guys. Still no real idea how prices are set.

Would it be cheaper to buy in the US & get somebody to fly it over here? Do you have to re-register to G or could it remain N Reg?

I think I'll stick to hiring for now...

foghorn
15th Feb 2001, 18:06
You can fly an N-Reg, but you will need some form of US pilot-priveledges to fly it here, and you will also need to pay VAT on it when you import it. The French douaniers are particularly keen on seeing VAT certificates for N- reg light aircraft.

One benefit of flying N-Reg is that most US licences and ratings are cheaper to get than the equivalent European ones. The US IR is loads cheaper, and with one you will be fully valid to go airways in your little N-Reg aircraft. Could be nice for those days when the UK freezing level is high enough :-)

Just thought - I don't know how FM immunity will affect things re going IFR in N-Reg.

AC-DC
15th Feb 2001, 19:37
It does not matter what Reg. you fly but where you fly. In Europe and the Middle East you must be FMI. If you fly high enough you also need to have 8.33khz spacing.
Importing your own can be a good idea if all goes well or very expansive if not. There are many dead dogs at the other side of the pond. If you don’t know someone that you can trust who can do the job for you (if you don't have the time to do it yourself) my advice is to buy in the UK. Might be more expansive but cheaper.
Regarding the price differential I disagree, it is not that big, I know as I check it on a regular basis.

[This message has been edited by AC-DC (edited 15 February 2001).]