PDA

View Full Version : minimum age for a pilot instructor

Skyerr
26th Jun 2010, 21:48
Need information about the minimum age for a pilot instructor of various airlines. Thanks

Artificial Horizon
26th Jun 2010, 22:35
No minimum age. Usually 21 years old to be able to hold an ATPL since most intructors are Captains (not always though).

misd-agin
26th Jun 2010, 22:40
My company's minimums are 600 hrs as Captain. No age minimum. However, youngest Captains back in the 1980's were about 27 yrs old so the possibility existed for training Captains(Check Airman) under 30. Reality had CKA that were typically 40 or older. Age wasn't the deciding factor, having enough experience to be competitive against the other candidates drove the age higher.

Now the youngest Captains are approx. 41 yrs old and the youngest CKA are approx. 45 yrs old. Average CKA age is approx. 55.

RED WINGS
26th Jun 2010, 23:41
It would seem if you kiss enough arse anything is possible ;)

protectthehornet
27th Jun 2010, 00:04
in the USA, you have to be 23 years old to hold an airline transport pilot certificate.

if you want to instruct other pilots for an ATP , you have to hold one yourself

why do you want to know????????????

as a practical matter, instructors are in their 40's to 60's at my US major

welliewanger
27th Jun 2010, 03:10
At what level are these instructors operating? There are practical and legal limitations depending on whether they're on:
Light singles
Light twins
Turbine aircraft
Multi pilot

In the UK an instructor needs a CPL (at least 18 years old) and instructor rating. That allows instruction at a basic level on light singles.

However to "instruct" for an "airline" requires an ATPL (at least 21 years old and practically it takes more time to obtain) This is the bare minimum and very few airlines would have a 21 year old TRI (type rating instructor) but I am aware of some 21 year old turboprop captains. While these people aren't technically instructors, they do do some hand holding for the newbies.

So what sort of "instructor" were you referring to?

Skyerr
27th Jun 2010, 06:34
Thank you for your answers. I'm more interested in the practice of limiting minimum age of TRI. Our airlines are buying planes very quickly. Therefore, in practice, the pilot at the age of 23 (and theoretically could be, and 21) are the captain of the A320. So TRI may be age 23 - 25 years. That's a question, do you think is there any sense to limit the minimum age of TRI.

bfisk
27th Jun 2010, 09:39

Not under FAR part 61, you don't. In fact, there's not even a need for any training or instructor sign-off: it's a matter of experience and passed knowledge test.

protectthehornet
27th Jun 2010, 14:06
I should have said:

an ATP may instruct another for the purpose of obtaining an ATP> Otherwise you need a CFI to do any instructing.

It is quite true that with the proper number of flying hours, proper age and morality, passing the written test, you can just take the flight test without any real prep in the formal sense.

misd-agin
27th Jun 2010, 16:24
"Thank you for your answers. I'm more interested in the practice of limiting minimum age of TRI. Our airlines are buying planes very quickly. Therefore, in practice, the pilot at the age of 23 (and theoretically could be, and 21) are the captain of the A320. So TRI may be age 23 - 25 years. That's a question, do you think is there any sense to limit the minimum age of TRI."

Twenty one year old A320 CA's? Twenty three year old TRI's? In this case the age, due to the lack of significant experience, in my opinion, is a factor.

Experience takes time and longevity in the industry, up to a point (10 yrs?), is important. Previous hiring cycle our minimums required approx. 5-8 yrs of experience to qualify. Add the time to upgrade and 'new' Captains had a minimum of 10 yrs flying experience before they upgraded.

Wyle E Coyote
27th Jun 2010, 17:44

The guys I bought my FAA ATP off didn't have one. They were still building their hours until they could buy theirs

Re-Heat
27th Jun 2010, 22:30
Thank you for your answers. I'm more interested in the practice of limiting minimum age of TRI. Our airlines are buying planes very quickly. Therefore, in practice, the pilot at the age of 23 (and theoretically could be, and 21) are the captain of the A320. So TRI may be age 23 - 25 years. That's a question, do you think is there any sense to limit the minimum age of TRI.
RAF creamie instructors have worked fine for many years. Some might be little more than 20 at the time. Experience and aptitude are all considered.