PDA

View Full Version : Nimrods using Civil Airports

racedo
30th Mar 2009, 23:00
In Aug 03 late on a Sunny Sunday helping a friend do a refurb very close to Gatwick I heard a jet taking off where clear it wasn't a bunch of the bucket and shovel brigade on way to Magaluf.

It was a Nimrod which had never seen use LGW before or since.

Made a wonderful sound.....in comparison to the normal jets out of there.

Not come across this at any other Civilian UK airport so is it very common or did I witnesses a real once off.

AIRCRAFTSNAPPER
30th Mar 2009, 23:33
OVERSHOOTS ARE DETAILED REGULARLY AND AIRPORTS SUCH AS EAST MIDLANDS HAVE OCCASIONAL PDF's HOWEVER MANY NIMRODS HAVE BEEN INTO NORWICH AND HEATHROW FOR REPAINTS NECESSITATING A CIVIL AIRPORT DEPARTURE

pmills575
31st Mar 2009, 04:49
Untill a few years ago the Nimrod used to position at Gatwick each year to take part in the Eastbourne Airshow, hasn't done that for a while, must have been at least 3 years since I saw the last one. We invited the crew to look over a "real maritime aeroplane", never got the invite taken up though, suspect they were in hangover recovery mode!

P Mills
Gatwick Aviation Museum - Charlwood (http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk)

racedo
31st Mar 2009, 09:40
It's good that you finally asked the question though, it must have been playing on your mind !

Lol

Nope I was just hoping for more of the same as seems the guys up North get lots of noisy stuff going by all the time where as Down Sarffff its just the odd Chinook or two.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
31st Mar 2009, 09:47
Used to get them into Heathrow occasionally. Didn't BA do some sort of maintenance/ paint jobs on them?

handsfree
31st Mar 2009, 14:10
Seem to remember them at East Mids for maintenance (?) outside the Fields Aviation hangar 20-ish years ago. Still seen now and again on the overshoot.

Out Of Trim
31st Mar 2009, 15:45
Untill a few years ago the Nimrod used to position at Gatwick each year to take part in the Eastbourne Airshow, hasn't done that for a while, must have been at least 3 years since I saw the last one.

This is true; It used to get parked next to the old Gatwick Handling Comet (Ex Dan Air) quite often, just to contrast and compare!

2port
31st Mar 2009, 23:17
H.D.

Yes, used to take the beast into LHR for a repaint, then get the Dan Dare shuttle back north to ISK.

2P

DeepestSouth
1st Apr 2009, 08:35
We see them quite regularly at Ronaldsway, practice approach and overshoot or the occasional landing - and a very welcome sight they are too! Photos occasionally appear on Jon Wornham's excellent 'Manx Aviation' site ( Island Images - Aviation Pictures (http://www.island-images2.co.uk/Aircraft/index.html)). Most recent photos are of XV232 in January.

I know - I should get out more!

CirrusF
1st Apr 2009, 09:37
Did the Vulcan ever use civil airports? ;)

k3k3
1st Apr 2009, 09:48
Rio. Once.

Monkey Madness
1st Apr 2009, 10:19
The Nimrod uses various civil airports for PD's, but mainly books them as a diversion (like HH/HI when playing off the south coast).

From what I remember (back in 2006) the only airport it was banned from using was LHR (I'm talking since the BA contract ended), though that ban is lifted when operating as Rescue 50/51 (etc) or when it's SFN has been activated.

MM

betty swallox
1st Apr 2009, 20:38
Problem is...we're kinda noisy. A lot of folks complain at the sound of 4 Speys. The MRA4 is far quieter, so I guess things may be different in the not too distant!

TurningFinals
1st Apr 2009, 21:14
There are Nimrods and GR4s doing approaches at INV all the time.

Even when radar is on, the Nimrods tend to do the VOR DME ILS approach, instead of being vectored in.

Hoots
1st Apr 2009, 21:17
Ahhhh two years at Gatwick doing Eastbourne......... Happy Days and well looked after by the Gawick staff.

Hamish 123
2nd Apr 2009, 08:42
http://www.hatfieldflyingclub.com/USERIMAGES/NIm.jpg

Bit of excitement as I preflight my PA28 at Wick, July 2007.

Wee Jock McPlop
2nd Apr 2009, 09:33
Hamish,

Nice that you were on hand to record Wicks 2 aircraft movements of the day:E

Down here in the central belt, we rarely see the beasts (the Nimrod, not the PA28) as the BAA do not like their noise footprint. :( Apparently the residents of Cramond have been known to spill their tea - bless.

Mind you, if MR4 does ever make it to the front line, the all new whispering Nimrod may be allowed back.

Jock

Hamish 123
2nd Apr 2009, 12:03
Jock,

ATC at Wick must have thought all their Christmases had come at once that day - there were 3 planes from our club, and after we'd had a brief sojourn over the Orkneys, and were flying back overhead Wick, I noticed 3 Tucanos had landed and parked up.

No wonder ATC sounded stressed . . . .

Hamish

B_Fawlty
2nd Apr 2009, 12:09
They occasionally put in an appearance up here in sunny Dyce, there was one just a few weeks back in fact. What a glorious racket!

DeepestSouth
2nd Apr 2009, 12:29
Some people are never happy unless they have something to complain about! I LIKE the noise - even right above my house which is on one of the approaches to Ronaldsway, so tootle along here whenever you like! Reminds me of a happy year at Kinloss 1975/76 and 2 detachments there in 1970/71 and many happy hours in MR1s with 201 and 120...!

TurningFinals
2nd Apr 2009, 23:19
I'm with you there DS. I'm under the approach for Runway 25 at Kinloss, and under the circuit for Lossiemouth, so Nimrods and GR4s a plenty over my way. Had a Typhoon yesterday, now THATS a nice noise.

anita gofradump
3rd Apr 2009, 07:39
Oh TF, you were doing so well until you mentioned the 'jet-that-shall-not-be-named'........:(