PDA

View Full Version : Air Atlanta A300-600F Operation - Questions

Iver
31st Jan 2009, 23:34
I posted this on another forum. Just curious. Any details on life on the A300-600F at AAI?

Where are the primary bases? How many days off "likely" in a typical month even though it can change? How are the crews - good/fun people? Do most pilots have Airbus time when placed on this fleet vs. the 747 fleets? In the past, why are some pilots placed on the A300-600 fleet vs. the 747-200/400 fleets - is it an experience issue or a need-based issue for a particular fleet?

I have a mate who just got his furlough notice elsewhere and he is looking for work on that aircraft - I realize AAI has mentioned it is not hiring at this time on its website. Still interested in those details. And yes, I understand the pay is lousy - just want some more info.

PMs welcome. Cheers

airlove
1st Feb 2009, 20:42
they are not hiring and last 3 months , they lay off all the non - icelandic pilots .

no more non-icelandic in airbus 300

gubaclagan
2nd Feb 2009, 22:47
Any news about mechanic's status? What is the ratio for expats against locals (Islandics) todate? Do they still need the backbone of maintenance (expats)? Have heard that more than half of personnel in KUL moved to somewhere else to augment the need of positions vacated due to an 'exodus' trying to go for further training paid by themselves! True or not hope to have a feedback!:confused:

bcgallacher
3rd Feb 2009, 10:17
Hello Den - A few layoffs I gather. I have been off on sick leave for 7 months - returning this week.

gubaclagan
4th Feb 2009, 20:54
Hello Brian, Good to hear from you, mate! You are lucky you can go back soon. Where is the good old Julian now? Have not heard from him a year now! Bob is in KUL baby-sitting an aircraft in the hangar, I believe. Has there been any pay-cut?:confused:

despegue
5th Feb 2009, 09:09
It were the Belgian pilots (mostly ex. CityBird, like the aircraft) who introduced and set-up the whole Islandsflug A300.600 operation, and now it seems that AAI has thanked them for making the operation a success by throwing them out?!
The Chief Pilot since a year or so, J. T. is Icelandic and a very nice guy and good pilot, so I guess the decision must came from way above?...

bcgallacher
5th Feb 2009, 11:17
Julian is in Tashkent at the moment - I will be there soon - we have taken a 10% paycut. What you doing? Heard Rudi Borretta passed away.

18-Wheeler
5th Feb 2009, 12:27
Hi Brian - I miss working with you guys but it's great to be home all the time.
Still taking the bikes for a blast every now and then, are you?

Bill S.

Iver
5th Feb 2009, 13:02
Back to the topic at hand... If the previous AAI A300-600F pilots were former CityBird pilots, were most based in Belgium or in Paris and other hubs? Were they restricted to the Airbus fleet or allowed to bid the 747s?

I know that one A300 is no longer operating for Maximus - are the remaining Airbus aircraft operating on contracts?

I realise it is a tough economic climate and contracts may be hard to secure. I hope the former CityBird pilots can find good employment if dwindling contracts - I hear Qatar is hiring onto the Airbus over the next few months.

Thanks for any update.