PDA

View Full Version : Starting FI course...any advice?

Canadapilot
2nd Jun 2008, 19:23
Hi all

Just finished my CPL/MEIR over in Canada (moved from the UK a year ago), and am starting my flying instructor course this week. Was wondering if anyone had any tips/advice on getting the most from the course (and the job), as well as attributes that make a great instructor that we all should aim for!

Thanks in advance!

adverse-bump
2nd Jun 2008, 22:44
Howdo,

firstly, well done for going down the FI route not the TR one, you'll be a much better pilot after you come out the other side!

I did the FI course in the uk ages ago! Im sad to say i didnt enjoy the course, mostly because it made me realize how little i knew about flying! However once i was all signed up, i had a great few hundred hours of flying with students (mostly).

best tip? be exact with your words as the student will follow them, even if your obviously wrong! (I learnt this the hard way after a chap was struggling with a EFATO, he had it all set up nicely for the field but made no attempt to do any checks, so i said "dont you think we should turn the fuel and mixture off! guess what, he did!)

I also found it useful to do a quick once over of the a/c after the student had gotten in, just to be sure and save any embarrassment on my part for taking off with no fuel, or with a cowl open! Always expect them to make a mistake, oddly this is easier with the bad students as you'll find your self quite edgy around them, its the good once you need to watch! because even they can make mistakes, and they normally catch you off guard!

enjoy the instructing, and what ever else you choice to do next.