PDA

View Full Version : Descent problems

Life's a Beech
12th Sep 2007, 21:56
I am not having a go at controllers (I have a good relationship with all the controllers I know), just trying to solve a problem.

I fly an uncommon aircraft that has some very rare characteristics. Being unpressurised I can't descend especially quickly, especially with passengers on board. The aircraft is fairly slippery and I can't reduce power very easily until I am level at lower altitude without risking damage to the engines, so it is hard to descend quickly without speeding up a lot. Therefore I always ask for descent from FL90 or FL100 about 60 nm from my destination for a gentle, controlled 500 ft/min or so descent.

The problem is that I often don't get that descent, and the controllers don't seem to know how difficult it is. Often I am left so high that even with an average unpressurised multi-engine piston I would not easily be able to make the vertical profile safely.

I have had to make a radar orbit back onto the localizer in order to descend below the glide. I recently at a UK regional airport where I was already too high, over 7000 feet above the airport at only 15 nm DME range, and was told to standby for descent. When I insisted that I really needed descent urgently the controller finally turned me about 40 degrees out and started me on the descent. I get the feeling, no offense intended, that controllers are not aware of the limitations of these aircraft types. Most of the traffic into these airports is pressurised jets and turboprops.

What do controllers know about the performance of light aircraft? What should I be doing? Should I be asking for extra track miles every time? Should I be slowing when I can? Should I even be asking to hold or fly the procedure to give me extra space? All of these are of course a pain for me, I want to get on the ground as soon as possible, but they are a nuissance for the controllers as well.

More specifically why are some controllers so reluctant to allow me to descend outside controlled airspace, even in VMC?

SM4 Pirate
12th Sep 2007, 22:05
More specifically why are some controllers so reluctant to allow me to descend outside controlled airspace, even in VMC? Do you request OCTA descent? Maybe they think they are doing you a favour giving you CTA protection.

We have similar problems in oz where PA31s BE58s etc. will always bust the steps to keep their profile on descent; it's no problem; well co-ordination, traffic assessments, RIS whilst OCTA, then the onwards clearance etc. It does up the workload a bit.

Chilli Monster
13th Sep 2007, 03:27
I get the feeling, no offense intended, that controllers are not aware of the limitations of these aircraft types. Most of the traffic into these airports is pressurised jets and turboprops.

No offense, I'm sure, will be taken by anyone. This is a problem which I suspect isn't even realised to exist by a lot of controllers, especially as it may not even be taught at the colleges.

What do controllers know about the performance of light aircraft? What should I be doing? Should I be asking for extra track miles every time?

Some know precious little, especially with regards to unpressurised descent rates. If you feel it's a problem then always ask for extra miles.

More specifically why are some controllers so reluctant to allow me to descend outside controlled airspace, even in VMC?

Why increase the chance of an AIRPROX by putting you outside?

Canoehead
13th Sep 2007, 04:40
At the risk of sounding facetious, the obvious answer to your problem would be to fly at 4 or 5 thousand, if that is possible in your area.

Chilli Monster
13th Sep 2007, 06:17
At the risk of sounding facetious,

Not only facetious, but a glowing example of what I was getting at.

Why does Beech want to fly higher?

1) Increased TAS

2) Reduced fuel burn.

3) Smoother ride for passengers

4) Access to CAS, and the protection it affords.

The only downside is the need to descend slower. (If you want to know why I'll take you up to FL120 and then drop you at 2000fpm - not very enjoyable). As professionals we should understand that performance limitation and plan accordingly.

SilentHandover
13th Sep 2007, 07:40
The idea that unpressurized aircraft descend at a slower rate than big shiny jets is taught in NATS on the approach radar course. We are actively encouraged to plan CDA's for all inbounds of FL70=23 miles (give or take QNH variations) but are often reminded that not all aircraft can conform to this.

Guy D'ageradar
13th Sep 2007, 09:08
Simple answer - I believe there is a rule hidden away among all the CAPs somewhere that if you are not able to comply with a minimum rate of descent of 1000fpm, the controller should be informed. Notwithstanding that, as with all other requests/requirements, if we don't know, we can't help. Advise that your max rate will be 500fpm and it can be planned for. Say nothing and you'll be expected to provide 1000fpm or more. :ok:

Ppdude
13th Sep 2007, 10:21
LAB.....By any chance are you inbound to Leeds from the south?

If so pm me

Life's a Beech
13th Sep 2007, 18:58
Thanks for the replies.

I sometimes ask for outcas, Pirate, and am still often not given descent. Sometimes outcas is offered. Maybe I should ask more often.

You are right Chilli - TAS, controlled airspace and pax (and my) comfort all suggest FL90-100 for a turbocharged, unpressurised aircraft. I realise that there is an increased chance of airprox outcas, but with good lookout and RIS or RAS in IMC it should still be minimal.

Guy

Are you sure about the 1000 fpm? I always remembered 500 fpm for climb and descent, and 1000 is potentially uncomfortable even for healthy pax in an unpressurised aircraft.

I do ask for descent early, and will now consider mentioning 500 fpm as prefered descent rate.

Get me some traffic
13th Sep 2007, 19:11
ICAO standard rate of climb or descent 650ft/min +/- 150 fpm.

Life's a Beech
14th Sep 2007, 05:24
Thanks. Actually I tend to use about that, to ensure at least 500 fpm.

Guy D'ageradar
16th Sep 2007, 00:29
I stand corrected, thanks. :D

PPRuNe Radar
17th Sep 2007, 12:45
UK minimum climb/descent rate is 500' absolute as published in the AIP. If for any reason you can't comply then let ATC know and we'll work around it :ok:

I always assume non pressurised and/or piston engined aircraft will be doing this rate as a maximum, both for the comfort of the folks on board, and for engine management reasons. (I also assume it as a minimum unless told otherwise :E )

Remember though that ATC can't have intimate knowledge of the performance and requirements of every single aircraft type, so don't be afraid to let them know your requirements early on so that they can make an appropriate plan for your profile.