PDA

View Full Version : Expedite Through ALT/FL ?

kuwait340
11th Sep 2007, 19:54
Hello...

i need to clarify this issue...

when you are in the climb...and the atc request to expedite through an altitude or flight level ...

say you are climbing to FL350...then when passing through FL250 atc request to expedite passing FL280 ...the pilot should :

1-incerase ROC till clearing the whole FL280 ...the whole 1000 foot (FL280 to FL290) then resume normal climb .

Or

2-increase ROC till reaching FL280 ...so at FL281 and up he will resume normail climb.

Thanks in advance.

45 before POL
11th Sep 2007, 20:07
Expedite until passing FL280 would be as said in no.2 once you reach FL280/281 resume normal rate. This is used either to acheive a level in either a coordination between sectors/units or simply to achieve 1000 ft separation on other traffic,(without having to sweat on it :E )

SM4 Pirate
11th Sep 2007, 22:28
When using mode C a change of level of +/- 400 ft (in the right direction) is needed to clear the level; at our end. So either climb to FL284 expedited or resume normal/desired at FL280 and call in that you've left FL280.

I don't use it too often (like to better plan these things), but when I do I'll normally ask the pilot to report out of the appropriate level, it's amazing how often that call comes 1 minute or later after leaving the level. Mode C+/-400 ft often comes before the pilot report; meanwhile my heart rate is usually racing waiting for the call; all the while measuring the distances between the blips, 3.4, 3.3, 3.2, 3.1, 3.0; safe, just!

Back at ya, would pilots prefer a specific rate of climb/descent to a level or a track (distance) based requirement/restriction?

Spitoon
12th Sep 2007, 06:02
When using mode C a change of level of +/- 400 ft (in the right direction) is needed to clear the level; at our end. So either climb to FL284 expedited or resume normal/desired at FL280 and call in that you've left FL280.The 400ft is to take account of errors and delays in processing the mode C data - it's essentially an ATC thing and I wouldn't necessarily expect a pilot to worry about it (or even think about it). As soon as the altimeter passes 28,000 that's the aircraft out of FL280. If separation depends on it, a pilot report trumps mode C so I would just ask for a report leaving/passing FL280 - for a pilot, I suspect that this would suggest that the critical point has been passed, as indeed it has.

DTY/LKS
12th Sep 2007, 06:58
Controllers are taught in th Uk to say "Expidite through, then give the FL that is 1000ft above the problem. So if there is traffic at FL280 that you are going to climb through, then i would say expedite through FL290, then the aircraft is giving a good climb rate until it reaches FL290 (safe level) then can go back to normal climb rate.

the Shue
12th Sep 2007, 08:41
Kuwait340, in the middle east, where I presume you do a lot of flying from your name, all the airspaces have many ugly crosses which were not planned on 15 years ago when the airspaces were created. And traffic has increased a little bit since then. :uhoh:

When a controller tells you to "climb to FL300, expedite through FL220" that would mean you have traffic in the not too distant future crossing at FL210 and we need a 1000 ft buffer. So FL220.001 and above is your convenience.

When you are told to expedite all the way up, it would likely mean either we are trying to top you above someone who is already high up or that there are LOTS, and I mean LOTS, of other A/C we want to climb under you.

If you cannot comply with a good rate of climb, please let the controller know!!

BTW, I have found that pretty much all pilots in "normal" A/C around the middle east have been very accomodated to my instructions for good climbs. :D

(Almost like their lives depended on it.:})

kennyloggins
12th Sep 2007, 11:58
just to clarify, mode C tolerance for radar verification purposes is +/-300ft.
A pilot is supposed to report clear of a level when established in descent or climb from/through that level, the mode C tolerance is irrelevant to pilots.
If a pilot is asked to expedite through a level the controller should mean the level specified not 1000ft either side.

Monkey Madness
12th Sep 2007, 12:31
just to clarify, mode C tolerance for radar verification purposes is +/-300ft.

According to our good book, for radar verification of Mode 3/C: the tolerance is +/-200' of the level/height/alt that the pilot tells you that he is passing.

Once verified, an aircraft passing a level is considered to have done so when their Mode 3/C readout indicates that the level has been passed by 400' in the required direction.

I suppose that it changes depending on where you control? OTOH this is getting away from the orig question. :)

kuwait340
12th Sep 2007, 19:05
thank you all guys...

SM4 Pirate .... i prefer track distance based restriction/requirment.

but guys...the problem is...the aircraft that i fly...when i want to expedite the climb ..i can do this for only a couple of thousands of foot...then i will be struggling up to catch up with the speed again and i have to reduce the ROC to a very low number (800-500fpm) . the aircraft in it's best performance can give me 2500-3500 fpm for say 1.5-2.5 mins...then i will be stuck with low climb profile.

Spitoon
12th Sep 2007, 20:38
And that raises the other question - what RoC does 'expedite through' require?? It's been discussed before and I don't think anyone had a definitive answer.....which is one reason that I tend not to use it.

Scuzi
12th Sep 2007, 20:52
And that raises the other question - what RoC does 'expedite through' require?? It's been discussed before and I don't think anyone had a definitive answer.....which is one reason that I tend not to use it.
The best rate available I would have thought, providing it's no more than 8000fpm.

I recall from a familiarisation flight the 767 captain telling me "If you guys tell me to expedite, I'll go up to 2000fpm. If I'm already doing that I see no reason to increase the rate.":suspect:

Guy D'ageradar
13th Sep 2007, 09:13
scuzi As always - there's one rule for the rest of us, and then there's the septics!! Anyway, That example is why I don't use expedite anymore - I prefer to specify a minimum rate.

kuwait340 As with other specific requirements/capabilities etc. if you can't comply, say so - it's better to know that the plan needs to be changed straight away than to find out at the last second.

Blockla
13th Sep 2007, 09:45
but guys...the problem is...the aircraft that i fly...when i want to expedite the climb ..i can do this for only a couple of thousands of foot...then i will be struggling up to catch up with the speed again and i have to reduce the ROC to a very low number (800-500fpm) . the aircraft in it's best performance can give me 2500-3500 fpm for say 1.5-2.5 mins...then i will be stuck with low climb profile. I guess if we are expediting an A340, assuming that's what your talking about, we are out of options; cause that would never be my 'first choice'.

I wouldn't be using expedite over more than say 1000ft-5000ft range (depending on types); otherwise I'd just play safe and maintain above/below etc. I'm not going to expect you to expedite through more than 5000 feet etc. up or down; there has to be a better way or at least another option.

I would only "plan" (sic, no use) expedite after I realised something I “gave away” isn't working and it's too late for option B, or its use facilitates option C.

Option B which would be to pull out levels above below;

Option C (expedite) is where you're already going through or me trying to stop you will only have you bust anyway, so what's the point; I'm a little soft so I'd probably be turning you too if I'm expediting; but there are reasons why this isn't always possible.

If I'm expediting up with you, likely I'm expediting down with the conflict partner; but this has limitations when approaching “cumulous granite” or getting better nose down will take time and deliver little outcome/ cause problems elsewhere.

PS; here +/- 400 feet for vacating a level +/-200 feet for verified, and level if 3 paints at cleared level +/- 200 feet (but guessing the last bit). I always ask for level reports/maintain calls if I need them.

anotherthing
13th Sep 2007, 09:46
Spitoon wrote

A specific ROC is not required - Surely one of the easiest ways to use an expedited climb (apart from knowledge of A/C flying particular routes on your sector), is to give the A/C a climb to a safe level below, then monitor.... if you judge (using your skill as an ATCO) that a climb rate higher than the one witnessed (i.e. an expedited one) will allow you to jump the conflicting traffic, that is when you ask for it, in a new clearance.

The use of expedited climb, IMHO should not be used for dodgy climb throughs, but as a method of helping to ensure safety and also reduce the burden of constantly monitoring something that could be a close call.

LAM departures from EGKK quite often get asked to expedite because of the nature of the route - if they don't make FL130 by the EGLL centreline it causes no end of problems to several different adjacent sectors.

I know from the area chaps at TC who work on TC Capital, that because of the nature of their airspace, expedite is an essential tool at times.... they simply do not have the scope to vector A/C in a normal manner to achieve parallel tracks etc.

Above all though, expedite should be used as a tool and not as a means of hiding or covering bad decision making, and the level a pilot is asked to expedite through should be one that provides the minimum (at least) vertical separation from the conflicting traffic.

BwatchGRUNT
14th Sep 2007, 01:30
An analagy, about the speed you dash to the toilet after a good curry, quickly but not as fast as you would run if being chased by an axe murderer.

We would hopefully have already taken account of the a/c type and therefore in a B738 are looking for 4-5000' per minute whereas just 500' per minute for those of you flying a B742/A321 or similar......:ok:

Sonnendec
17th Sep 2007, 00:00
Hello guys.

Where i work, we are taught to tell the pilots: "Climb to FL 320, expedite through FL 280, if unable, maintain FL 260 and advise" or something similar. I´ve seen more than once a pilot reading back and then, passing FL 265 telling you: "We are unable to maintain the rate of climb anymore". A back-up clearance is necessary in these cases.

Best regards from the sunny Spain.