PDA

View Full Version : Whoosh routings into Dundee

NorthSouth
16th Jul 2007, 10:30
Can any ScACC people out there tell me what the standard clearance to leave controlled airspace is for the Whoosh flights from Belfast to Dundee? Standard Route Doc says they go P600 to PTH then DCT EGPN. But P600 base is FL85 at PTH and a descent from FL90 to 3000 between PTH and Dundee sounds a little eye-watering.

Are they generally cleared to leave CAS by descent on track to the DND before they reach the PTH?

NS

The Fat Controller
16th Jul 2007, 11:21
Yes, they are usually cleared direct to the DND at a level agreed by Dundee Approach (often 5000' on the Dundee QNH), leaving CAS by descent.
The direct routeing is normally given in the vicinity of GRICE once the aircraft is transferred to the TAY sector on 124.5.
On a weekday, Leuchars Radar may provide a radar service if there is outbound traffic either from Dundee or Leuchars.

NorthSouth
17th Jul 2007, 11:22
Thanks FC, useful to know in these days of Leuchars LARS being off at weekends and new & unfamiliar commercial operators "whooshing" around in uncontrolled airspace. I'll stay below 5000!
NS

The Fat Controller
17th Jul 2007, 16:13
Before the RAF shoot me down, I did not mean to imply that Leuchars are not there at weekends, however they rarely seem interested in traffic into Dundee from the SW and personally I just agree a level direct with Dundee Approach from this direction.

NorthSouth
17th Jul 2007, 19:58
No worries, the "no LARS at weekends" was my own experience in the current runway resurfacing scenario, not an assumption from your post! But it seems to me that we are in a delicate scenario here with (a) a new foreign operator who is by definition exempt from the CAA's new policy of requiring a safety case for all new air transport ops in uncontrolled airspace, (b) a small airport with no radar who is about to be taken over by a new operator, (c) a LARS operator who could provide valuable service but isn't very interested and is also closed for significant parts of the week and (d) airliners having to transit a chunk of uncontrolled airspace which can be very busy with GA traffic.
Another case of "what the punters don't know...?"
NS